INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change drive letter of already imported files  (Read 782 times)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Change drive letter of already imported files
« on: December 12, 2019, 01:19:00 pm »

I thought I knew how to do this...

I've moved videos to a new drive outside of MC.  So, M:\My Videos instead of N:\My Videos.  When I try using 'Rename-Move-Copy Files', MC renames the beginning of the path correctly but then adds " (1) " at the end of the filename (the files are not actually renamed on the drive).

What's the right way to right way to simply change the beginning of the path in the MC database?

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Change drive letter of already imported files
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 05:35:15 pm »

I figured it out.

I temporarily renamed the Video directory which included the files and then ran the MC rename command.  Then renamed the directory.

I think this is something in MC which should have some imbeded logic that, if it finds the same file in the target directory, doesn't add a (1) suffix to the filename.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Change drive letter of already imported files
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:56:03 pm »

I've moved videos to a new drive outside of MC.

There is your problem. You should have used the MC RM&CF function to move the files, then all would have been good.

Then you tried to use the RM&CF function to rename the files, instead of using the "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)" option.

Reading for you: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Generally speaking, don't move files outside MC, unless you are sure you know what you are doing. Lots of people do move files outside MC, but even if you use the "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)" option afterwards, things can go wrong if Auto Import is running in the background and set to Fix Broken Links.

PS: Because the RM&CF function thought it was moving a file to a directory it saw already had a file of that name in it, MC correctly added the suffix to prevent the file in the target directory from being overwritten, which would be very, very bad in most situations.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up