INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy Parametric EQ Filters from one Computer to Another  (Read 2228 times)

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
Copy Parametric EQ Filters from one Computer to Another
« on: December 14, 2019, 11:30:33 am »

When you save a Parametric EQ Filter file where does the file reside?

I recently got a new workstation (HP Z840) and I would like to have the Parametric EQ Filter file from my old Z440 as an option for my new Z840 in addition to the new Parametric EQ Filter that I just entered. 

I used Room EQ Wizard software with a calibrated mic to characterize my speakers/room (Focal CMS-50 monitors and Sub) and then calculate the appropriate filters to fit my target curve.  I enter separate filters for L and R.  I think my old Parametric EQ Filter sounded a little better and the new filters may be a little thin at the bottom end.  Without EQ, I definitely have a few room modes that need to be shaved and the bass is way too thick.  My new Parametric EQ Filter only has 11 separate filters, all under 200Hz, but the old Parametric EQ Filter file had many more filters going higher in frequency. 

It would be nice to find the Parametric EQ Filter file and copy that file to my new Z840 and compare.  It would be very nice for MC to allow several Parametric EQ File settings and allow quick A/B changes, faster than Load/Save.

virman71

Re: Copy Parametric EQ Filters from one Computer to Another
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:40:00 am »

I recently got a new workstation (HP Z840) and I would like to have the Parametric EQ Filter file from my old Z440 as an option for my new Z840 in addition to the new Parametric EQ Filter that I just entered. 

I used Room EQ Wizard software with a calibrated mic to characterize my speakers/room (Focal CMS-50 monitors and Sub) and then calculate the appropriate filters to fit my target curve.  I enter separate filters for L and R.  I think my old Parametric EQ Filter sounded a little better and the new filters may be a little thin at the bottom end.  Without EQ, I definitely have a few room modes that need to be shaved and the bass is way too thick.  My new Parametric EQ Filter only has 11 separate filters, all under 200Hz, but the old Parametric EQ Filter file had many more filters going higher in frequency. 

It would be nice to find the Parametric EQ Filter file and copy that file to my new Z840 and compare.  It would be very nice for MC to allow several Parametric EQ File settings and allow quick A/B changes, faster than Load/Save.
I follow your post....thanks

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 07:00:22 am »

it is saved in the library, I don't believe there is an import/export function at this time (for a set of filters alone)

if you take a backup then look in the zip for Settings/User Settings.ini , you'll find entries like

Code: [Select]
[Zone Presets\\BEQ - GotG2\\Parametric Equalizer]
Enabled=i:"1"
Filters="(1:1)(2:19)(220:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">1465010689</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Source\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">0</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Destination\">8</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Mode\">2</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(211:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Source\">7</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">0</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Destination\">9</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Mode\">2</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(95:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">32513</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">20</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(163:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">32513</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">4</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">-6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(254:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">6619137</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">10</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">30</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(248:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">10</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">30</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(254:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">6356993</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">10</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">30</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(256:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">547536129</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">10</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(254:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">6750209</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">10</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(257:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">6750209</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">2.871</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">3</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">31</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(257:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">7208961</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">2.871</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">3</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">31</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(95:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">32513</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">20</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(155:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">32513</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">4</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">-7</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">5</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(249:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">6881281</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">10</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">5.25</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">18</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">5</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(249:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">6881281</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">10</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">5.25</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">18</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">5</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(249:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">7536641</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Slope\">12</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Q\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">10</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">5.25</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Frequency\">18</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">5</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(140:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">32513</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">20</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Text\">------- BM -------</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(168:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">518354433</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">4</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">-16</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">2;3;4;8;9</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)(159:<XMLPH version\=\"1.1\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Enabled\">518353153</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Type\">4</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Gain\">-6</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Channels\">5</Item>\r\n</XMLPH>)"

i.e. the entire state of the DSP pipeline is captured in a set of blocks in the ini file

if you expand one of those entries then it might be clearer what the peq section is made up of

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<XMLPH version="1.1">
    <Item Name="Enabled">1465010689</Item>
    <Item Name="Type">6</Item>
    <Item Name="Source">6</Item>
    <Item Name="Gain">0</Item>
    <Item Name="Destination">8</Item>
    <Item Name="Mode">2</Item>
</XMLPH>

I imagine it's not impossible to abuse this to create your own entries and restore from backup if you really wanted to though what some of the values in there are is not clear :)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 04:43:02 pm »

I came across this issue myself recently when I wanted to move a set of PEQ filters to another machine.
The DSP presets are stored in registry keys under Windows so I thought it would be relatively simple to create a registry export file and copy across. Unfortunately the PEQs are in XML format in the registry key and due to Microsoft quirk involving CRLF sequences in registry keys the PEQs are the only key that fails to copy across successfully.

Eventually I wrote a Powershell script to write the relevant registry entries out to a XML file and then read the XML file into the registry on the target machine using the same script.

I didn't think there was much interest in moving DSP presets between machines (it has only come up once before to my knowledge on the forum) so I haven't bothered to publish any info on the script.

If enough folks are interested I may be persuaded to tidy up the script for sharing on the forum.....

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 01:34:52 am »

No doubt useful to share it

It would be nice if this feature were in MC itself though, it is a longstanding feature request.

virman71

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 11:20:12 am »

UP

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 03:55:21 pm »

The best solution would be a 'save DSP preset to file/load DSP preset from file' option in MC.

But as noted by @mattkhan that is a long requested (and ignored) feature, so in the absence of that I will share a Powershell script that provides that option outside MC, just trying to find the time to make it 'user-friendly' and document it. Should be done soon.

(I was driving the other day using Google maps and said 'Hey, Google! When do we get there?', the reply was the dictionary definition of 'patience'...the bl**dy machines are developing a sense of humour!)

Terry

" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 09:29:58 pm »

I have finally shared my 'Save DSP to file' script here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124190.0.html
Brings a whole new meaning to the word 'soon'
Hope it useful to some.

Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up