INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running Media Center on Older Mac  (Read 1375 times)

JLawry

Running Media Center on Older Mac
« on: December 25, 2019, 09:25:29 am »

I recently upgraded to Mac Catalina. I happen to be one of these weird people who continues to use an older device because nothing better has come along, so I have a 160 GB iPod and Apple decided with the new Apple Music app to no longer sync with my iPod. So I pulled an older Mac out of mothballs, copied over my library and it works fine for syncing to the iPod.  But then I wondered whether there could be any disadvantage in just using my older Mac to interface also with my room audio system? It's a 2008 iMac running the latest OS X it can (El Capitan 10.11.6), 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 duo, 6 GB RAM. I feed the data via USB to a Schiit DAC to a fairly high-end stereo system. I run everything flat (part of why I prefer Media Center), no DSPs anywhere. So I'm assuming the concern would be making sure the 0s and 1s are getting to the DAC as well as with my newer iMac, right? In this scenario would there be any possible advantage to using the new Mac for the DAC? I do run a lot of HD audio - up to 96K/32-bit.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Running Media Center on Older Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 10:32:53 am »

The last few releases of MC25 require at least 10.9 so you are good. I think that will likely stay the same in MC26.
Pages: [1]   Go Up