INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delete TV Tuners That No Longer Exist  (Read 2363 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
Delete TV Tuners That No Longer Exist
« on: December 31, 2019, 01:18:02 pm »

I was helping my brother setup JRiver on his PC and was checking my configuration for comparison purposes and noticed that the Ceton InfiniTV CableCard tuners that I replaced with SiliconDust HDHomerun Primes a few years ago still show up in my list of TV devices.  I removed all the Ceton drivers and software a while back.

I also noticed that my HDHomerun Primes show up as both CableCard and Digital tuners.

Is there a way to delete the tuners that no longer exist?  If it means completely reconfiguring my TV setup, then I'll live with them in the list and just disable them, but it would be nice to get the list cleaned up.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Delete TV Tuners That No Longer Exist
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 04:46:27 pm »

This appears to be a Windows setup issue.

CableCARD tuners appear in MC twice, once as "digital tuner" and once as CableCARD tuner because Windows 10 automatically add these as PBDA tuners which MC does not support (we did not bother with it because I believe it only became available in newer Windows versions).  The "CableCARD tuner" is based on RTSP and we implemented it for all Windows.

If a device is no longer available on your network, the RTSP version would not appear in MC because we run network detection when MC starts up for these devices.  PBDA devices on the other hand are loaded from registry as part of Windows bda device load up.  I believe that is why you still see these devices.

I have not tried, but maybe you can run through Windows configuration to get rid of the PBDA devices that no longer exist.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 05:17:42 pm »

This appears to be a Windows setup issue.

CableCARD tuners appear in MC twice, once as "digital tuner" and once as CableCARD tuner because Windows 10 automatically add these as PBDA tuners which MC does not support (we did not bother with it because I believe it only became available in newer Windows versions).  The "CableCARD tuner" is based on RTSP and we implemented it for all Windows.

If a device is no longer available on your network, the RTSP version would not appear in MC because we run network detection when MC starts up for these devices.  PBDA devices on the other hand are loaded from registry as part of Windows bda device load up.  I believe that is why you still see these devices.

I have not tried, but maybe you can run through Windows configuration to get rid of the PBDA devices that no longer exist.
Thanks for the response, Yaobing.

I just took a look and the Ceton devices don't show up in Device Manager (even with hidden devices shown) and don't show up in Settings > Devices.  I also took a look in the registry, and it looks like the old Ceton BDA entries are still there, but I'm hesitant to delete them from the registry as I obviously don't want to screw up my PC configuration.  I couldn't find anything from a quick Google search that explained how to get rid of the orphaned devices beyond what I tried.  It's something I can live with, but would clean up if there's a simple way to do it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 05:20:41 pm »

My Ceton device was on a PC that went dead, so I can not test now.  I find HDHomeRun devices appearing as "Software Devices" in Device Manager.

greynolds

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 06:36:08 pm »

My Ceton device was on a PC that went dead, so I can not test now.  I find HDHomeRun devices appearing as "Software Devices" in Device Manager.
Yeah, I also see the HDHomeRun devices in the same place.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 06:53:12 pm »

I also took a look in the registry, and it looks like the old Ceton BDA entries are still there, but I'm hesitant to delete them from the registry as I obviously don't want to screw up my PC configuration.

Just backup (export) the whole Registry using Regedit before testing, so that you can restore (import) it if you have immediate problems. Also backup just the specific Registry entries, in case you want to just restore those at some time in the future.

It isn't a big issue to delete entries for non-existent hardware. If some related problem does arise (unlikely), import the specific Registry entries again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

greynolds

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 07:39:40 pm »

Just backup (export) the whole Registry using Regedit before testing, so that you can restore (import) it if you have immediate problems. Also backup just the specific Registry entries, in case you want to just restore those at some time in the future.

It isn't a big issue to delete entries for non-existent hardware. If some related problem does arise (unlikely), import the specific Registry entries again.
Yeah, I know how to backup and restore the registry and have done a lot of work in the registry over the years, but it just isn’t worth the effort and potential risk of messing things up when I can just disable the devices in MC.  My initial question was more focused on checking if there was a MC config file that I could edit to clean the list up.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 01:35:17 am »

I figured you are capable of doing the task Greynolds. I just thought you needed a nudge, hence I was just trying to reinforce that you are unlikely to mess things up, and even if you did, it is easily fixed.

I hate having leftover bits in Windows myself. I find it very annoying.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

boomboom

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 07:26:34 pm »

Yeah, I tried silicondust tuner for a day, and they didn't work well, so replaced them with hauppauge. But, now I can't get rid of the silicon dust tuners in jriver. I don't see them in device manager either. I don't even wanna deal with registry stuff.  Would be nice to just remove them in jriver. I off and on see recording failures, no recording and nothin in logs, and i wonder if it's beacause it tried to use nonexistent tuners.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 12:25:06 pm »

Yeah, I tried silicondust tuner for a day, and they didn't work well, so replaced them with hauppauge. But, now I can't get rid of the silicon dust tuners in jriver. I don't see them in device manager either. I don't even wanna deal with registry stuff.  Would be nice to just remove them in jriver. I off and on see recording failures, no recording and nothin in logs, and i wonder if it's beacause it tried to use nonexistent tuners.

To just disable a tuner inside MC, go to Manage Devices under Television, and disable each tuner that you do not want to use or can not use.

Siliondust tuners install bda drivers on Windows.  That probably can be uninstalled through SiliconDust's setup program.  Run HDHomeRun Setup.  On the first tab, "Configuration", is a list of your devices.  The third column show the "Source type", that is where you can disable a tuner.  The cells are actually drop-down list.  Clicking it and you will see "Disabled" as an option.

For recording failures, you can check "TV Logs" in MC's Standard View to get some info about the failures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up