INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC imploding on Red October HQ  (Read 2539 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
MC imploding on Red October HQ
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:14:53 pm »

I have a quite good computer, with an Asus motherboard, an i9-9900 CPU, 16 GB RAM and an GeForce GTX 1050 TI (driver 417.35, later drivers supposedly doesn't support 3D playback, so it seems I'm staying there) and fully updatede Windows 10. . When I try to open any video from 1080p and up (I haven't tried lower resolutions, because I don't use them), MC just implodes. It disappears. I have checked with MC 25 and 22, and those has the same problem, and 25 is 64 bit while 26 is 32 bit (because it crashed I tried to change from 64 to 32 bit), so it's not related to the 64 bits version of MC. So it's not version specific, but maybe related to MadVR in some way? If there is a more appropriate forum, please move the thread.  ;D But does anybody know what this can be? I have done a search here, but the only thing I found was a crashing computer because it went to hot under HQ, and I see no chance of that being the case here since it happens the second the video should have been visible on screen, it goes straigt from black to bombs awaaaay and the wallpaper. I'd really like to have HQ, I'm guessing my E-Shift 4K projector should be able to use that very well.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC imploding on Red October HQ
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:44:26 pm »

Hi Tor,
Did you install your own version of madVR?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:46:37 pm »

Hi, Jim! :) No, I just let MC do it's thing. According to the madVR settings I'm on madVR 0.92.16.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 02:02:19 pm »

If you're on Win10, make sure Windows Defender is configured.  There's a thread here on it.

I suppose you tried reinstalling MC.

The first build of MC26 had stability issues.  MC26.0.14 has been pretty good so far.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 02:15:16 pm »

Yep, both 32 and 64 bits. And I'm on .14. Also this happens on more than one version. I just tried deleting the madVR directory from all of them, removing the plug-in from every version. They were added again without complaints, but MC still implodes when I try to play a video file.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 02:32:38 pm »

It is something with madVR, because if I use advanced and base the settings on Red October Standard, and then add madVR, the same thing happens. Choosing EVR will make it work. Maybe that's what's used by Red October Standard anyway?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 03:12:40 pm »

EVR is used in RO Std.

Antivirus?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 03:21:09 pm »

Nothing but Windows Defender. Anything else is just bloatware and scare tactics. ;) I don't think I've used anything like that since XP, and no virus ever. :) I am now in the process of doing a full reset of Windows 10, I'll report back tomorrow wether it works or not.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 03:22:41 pm »

Try configuring Windows Defender.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 03:24:36 pm »

You mean disabling? I'll ty that if the full reset doesn't help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 03:26:38 pm »

You can't disable it.  It comes back.  Just read Awesome Donkey's thread here on the forum.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 04:26:18 pm »

I see. Well, I'll try that if this doesn't work. I have reset Windows 10 (incredible how much simpler reset/reinstallation of Windows has become since the floppy disk fest Win 2.0 I started with!) and Red October HQ with madVR works now. But I need to change the nVIDIA driver because the one that was installed by default on installation was one that doesn't support 3D playback. It's rather late here now, so I'll get to this tomorrow afternoon.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 08:17:10 am »

Re-installing everything did work. :) I am now on the correct driver, with hardware acceleration and HQ running. I have not tested a full movie, that's coming tonight or tomorrow night, but it does seem very promising.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 10:38:18 am »

The problem suddenly came back, I had to think about what changed and I found it out: When stereoscopic playback is activated on my nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 TI, MC implodes. When it's not activated in the nVIDIA Control Panel, MC does not impode. It doesn't matter if I go into the Mad VR settings to turn off 3D playback there, or if I turn off playback in the Video settings for MC. Just by being activated, not even being used, stereoscopic 3D makes MC implode for me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 10:41:31 am »

It's probably a problem with the driver, with madVR, or with its settings.

You can learn something (and possibly prove me wrong) by using Red October Standard.

If you're making changes to madVR, try without changes.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 10:44:14 am »

The Standard version works. I have tried two different drivers for the card, and I have tried fiddlig around a bit with madVR settings, like changing to Lanczos scaling, but nothing seems to help. I'll just have to use PowerDVD for 3D playback and turn stereoscopic 3D off in the control panel when watching 2D movies.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 12:20:57 pm »

Which version of Windows are you using?

Can you attach your MadVR setting file (.bin)

If it’s just 3D movies that cause crash ... there are several possibilities

Let’s check one possibility first:

Both NVidia and Windows control panel for screen have 3D toggle on/off.

Open Win CP ... turn 3D off ... then open NV CP and check that it 3D setting is off too - close NV CP

In Win CP ... turn 3D on ...  then open NV CP and check that its 3D settings is on now

In short ... manipulating Windows 3D toggle should be reflected in NV settings (MadVR toggle 3D mode through Windows ... in the past there was a condition under which manipulating Windows 3D settings was not propagated to NV settings ... let’s make sure first it’s not happening here)

PS. If you could attach your MadVR bin file, it will be much easier to check for possible bad settings there
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 01:15:00 pm »

tij, I'm using Windows 10, fully updated. I have tried with all kinds of settings, so the standard settings gives me the same problem. But no, it's not only 3D movies, it's any movie when stereoscopic 3D is activated in Nvidia. And when that's activated in Nvidia CP, it only means that it's ready to show 3D-movies. It doesn't activate a 3D resolution. The Windows CP on the other hand activates a 3D resolution for the desktop. But this happens with a 2D resolution as long as the possibility to turn on 3D is activated in the Nvidia CP. I have attached my settings file, but as I said the standard settings has the same effect. Oh, and I'm using the same driver for the GeForce as you, since that's the last version that actually supports stereoscopic 3D. Nvidia, in their great wisdom, decided that they didn't want to keep supporting 3D.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 10:33:51 pm »

I have not gone through all settings … but your 3D settings seems off … it should be as attached picture

basically you tell MadVR to switch OS 3D settings only when playing 3D movies … and turn it off if playing 2D movies

you are right that if 3D settings is left on in NV CP, playing 2D movies will crash MC … in the past it was a problem, as OS was not able to control 3D setting in NV (it was solved eventually)

Just to be sure … let us know your Window version (run [winver] command … sometimes jumping major versions require manual update) and NV driver version is 425.31

eg my windows 10 now is version 1809 build 17763.973 … NV driver is 425.31

EDIT: that's why I ask you to do this

>Open Win CP ... turn 3D off ... then open NV CP and check that it 3D setting is off too - close NV CP

>In Win CP ... turn 3D on ...  then open NV CP and check that its 3D settings is on now

>In Win CP ... turn 3D off ...  then open NV CP and check that its 3D settings is off now

this test ability of OS to control NV 3D settings … if OS cannot control NV 3D settings, then OS version or NV driver version are too old

keep in mind that if you switch OS 3D while at resolutions higher than 1080p, desktop wont go to 3D and you will have warning that you need to change resolution - BUT NV 3D settings should still  switched to 3D

On different topic - never switch OS HDR on for movies - its tone mapping (if you can even call what Windows do with HDR) is totally wrong
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 01:45:54 am »

Thanks for trying to help me! Seems like you don't have the latest Windows version. My version is 1909, 1836.628. But I have tried with the July 2019 (I believe) 1809 version, and that has the same problem. And my OS has no problem controlling 3D settings when I use PowerDVD and fire up a 3D Blu-ray, it goes to 3D.

I may be wrong, but I thought that leaving 3D on in the NVIDIA control panel shouldn't do anything as long as the OS or a program isn't switching to a 3D desktop resolution. If that actually does something, it only affects madVR HQ, nothing else.

My 3D setting really doesn't need to be like the ones you show, because I won't be using MC to play back any 3D. I hav to use PowerDVD for that, as I said above, even if I hoped that I could avoid it. But MC can't (as far as I know) do menu based navigation of Blu-rays and ISO's, so that's really a no go.

I did the back and forth with Windows Display settings and NVIDIA control panel, and Windows is able to change the settings in the NVIDIA control panel. But that's counter productive when using something like PowerDVD, because PowerDVD automatically makes the change from 4K to 1080p 3D when you open a 3D movie and then back again when the movie stops. But if stereoscopic 3D is off in the NVIDIA control panel it can't do that. So the best way to do it is to leave that on and don't mess with the Windows display settings at all. If I do, I'll have to manually change that in display settings every time. Alt least for me to activate stereoscopic 3D in NVIDIA control panel that doesn't change to a 3D resolution, it only makes it possible for PowerDVD to do it when necessary.

As for HDR I have no equipment that supports it, so I have never touched that setting. :) My projector is a JVC DLA-X500R-ILA, so it's a model or two before HDR came in to play.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 04:47:50 am »

if your desktop resolution is 1080p23 or 720p23, setting 3D on will make desktop 3D regardless of whether you playing movie or not (likely you using 4K resolution or 60fps on your desktop that prevents Window to switch to 3D … players when playing 3D will switch to 1080p23 allowing 3D to kick in) … its useless ofcourse as you need 3D glasses to navigate desktop lol

You can leave 3D on if you wish … but it crashes MadVR if you play 2D movies with 3D setting on … and MadVR is the whole reason I personally use HTPC (for 3D it will upsample chroma … and MadVR upsampling is way better than PowerDVD or TVs)

settings I indicated to you allow MadVR to switch OS 3D setting (which in turn will switch NV 3D setting) to what madVR needs … it will restore your original setting back once movie stops playing) … if settings I showed are set - the whole process is automatic

So you start playing 3D movie in MC - madVR will automatically turn OS/NV 3D setting on … when movie stops playing MadVR will automatically restore OS/NV 3D setting to whatever it was before movie starts playing

Same for 2D … all automatically done without your intervention if you set the settings as I posted before

PS: I usually stay with version of Windows/NV driver that works … in fear that updates break things up lol … some ppl still stay on Windows 7 for that reason lol

EDIT: madVR tone mapping for HDR is also way better than whatever is available for normal consumer (arguably comparable to Lumagen which cost small fortune) … it will allow you to watch 4K HDR movie with your current projector … it will tone map HDR to whatever your projector brightness is capable … convert BT2020 colorspace to REC709 of your HD projector ... and will downscale 4K to 1080p
Pages: [1]   Go Up