INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Docker Container for JRiver Media Center 26  (Read 21860 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Docker Container for JRiver Media Center 26
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2020, 12:32:37 pm »

I’d love to be able to do that as I’ve been wanting to connect to the server remotely outside of JRemote. But I’ve had to install the container through QNAPs Container Station app, so I’m not sure how it handles all of the behind the scenes networking. Most QNAP apps outside of Container Station just need a unique port suffix to connect, but when I last did *hosting* with JRiver as a docked container with its own unique port, I couldn’t connect to my NAS and had to reset the main network configs.

I don’t mind to try it again as I now know what to do if it goes sideways again, but I’m not sure if I could do anything differently to the container without coming back to the same problem.

Maybe someone here with a QNAP NAS could show how they set things up?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2020, 07:21:30 pm »

I'm running this setup using the QNAP Container Station and can hit my container MC server from outside using JRemote, so I think I can do whatever it is you are looking for...?

Happy to help, what exactly are you looking to achieve?

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2020, 01:34:25 pm »

Thanks @Scobie!

Since I'm not well versed with using the command line when installing docker images, I went with using the app's GUI when installing the container for JRiver.  But I am willing to learn either way.  The end goal is to be able to set the IP address to the container so that I can set a hostname to it and then connect to it remotely. Currently I can only connect to the main client when I am connected to the LAN. 

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2020, 06:05:07 pm »

I use the Container Station wizard/UI as it provides all the required options and saves having to putty or SSH into the QNAP and run docker commands.

If you're able to connect internally it sounds like you're just about there, and the only thing left to do is sort networking.

I have my Container Network mode set to Bridge and use a static IP to set a unique address for the MC instance on my network. Once it is in this state, MC is behaving no differently to how it would on a physical host on your internal network. If you use DLNA quite a bit in your setup you might want to use DHCP instead, and reserve the address for MC to use. DLNA often works better that way but I find it makes no difference in my setup so leave it at static. Pretty simple, have attached a screenshot.

Only thing to remember is to also add a Mac Address as noted in this thread, I've scrubbed mine out in the screenshot.

Just remember as well to back your library up before making a change to a container setting, as it will most likely cause the image to generate a new container.

To access MC from outside your network you either need to configure port forwarding on your router, or possibly DDNS from within the QNAP.

I use port forwarding, and configure anything coming in on port 5800 to go to the IP Address I configured in my Container Station setup. Similarly for JRemote I configure port 52199.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2020, 10:51:09 pm »

Ok I’m with you so far. Now this is where I have trouble. When you open ports 5800 and 52199 which IP do you list those ports under? I’ve had to set mine to the IP set for JRiver container and not the IP for QNAP. But this means that I can only locally connect because I have to type the local IP with the port suffix; using the hostname for QNAP with the port for JRiver doesn’t allow me to connect like I would with QNAP apps.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2020, 11:10:14 pm »

What you are actually looking to do is tell your router/firewall to perform an action based on an incoming request for a specific port on a service inside your network.

So when you are outside your network, you need to know your external facing (or public) IP address. Type whatsmyip in a browser and this will tell you.

It is this external/public address, with port 5900 that you use to access MC from outside your network. In you router /firewall config, you tell it to redirect incoming requests on port 5900 to the IP address of your actual container instance, not the QNAP address.

So with my config, I have a rule on my firewall that says anything that hits the external IP looking for port 5900 gets redirected to 192.168.1.126 on the same port for protocols TCP & UDP, in effect routing <externalIP>:5900 to 192.168.1.126:5900 which is MC. In your router or firewall config this will be called "Port Address Translation" or "Virtual Server" or similar.

There is a separate translation for JRemote/Panel requests for Port 52199.

HaWi

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2020, 11:07:31 am »

I am having trouble updating the MC26 container. When I run   
Code: [Select]
docker pull shiomax/jrivermc26:latestI get this error
Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Post http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.39/images/create?fromImage=shiomax%2Fjrivermc26&tag=latest: dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied

What am I doing wrong?
Many thanks
Hans
EDIT: Sorry, I got it. Needed to use sudo
All set now.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 3830
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 9468
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

HaWi

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2020, 09:46:40 am »

I have been trying to update to the latest image but when I run the install script I get this error:
docker: Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Post http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.39/containers/create?name=jrivermc26: dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied.
See 'docker run --help'.

This is what I get when I run with sudo:
Unable to find image 'shiomax-jrivermc26:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: pull access denied for shiomax-jrivermc26, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login'.
See 'docker run --help'.

What am I doing wrong?
Many thanks for any help
Hans
EDIT: I was able to install the latest MC (26.0.107) via Docker. I manually had to add/update the Volumes and IDs but it works. Not sure why the CL script didn't work (I definitely had the latest image downloaded).
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 3830
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 9468
JRemote 3.43

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2020, 03:52:59 pm »

Unable to find image 'shiomax-jrivermc26:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: pull access denied for shiomax-jrivermc26, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login'.

You just wrote it wrong. It should be shiomax/jrivermc26:latest. You can also add your user to the docker group then you don´t need sudo anymore.

Code: [Select]
sudo usermod -aG docker $USER

Log out, log back in and it should be able to operate docker without sudo. It´s mainly a convinience feature and does not actually really change anything.

HaWi

« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2020, 07:02:34 am »

Thank you Max. I appreciate your help as always
Hans
JRemote 3.43

NH

• Recent member
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2020, 06:44:32 am »

I have version 25 and am using QNAP TS 253A. I have the docker image installed in the container station.

I am missing a step by step guide to be able to successfully install it and get it running.

I have installed a music tagging software SongKong in the docker station which came with very detailed instructions (a screenshot and instructions for every step) and it worked seamlessly. Have attached that link as an example (http://www.jthink.net/songkong/install_docker_qnap.jsp)

Will be very grateful if someone could take the trouble of sharing such instructions. Will make a big difference in that I can have our favorite MC running all the time on the NAS and operate it remotely.

Many thanks in advance.

Best

NH

HaWi

« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2020, 07:10:36 am »

https://gitlab.com/shiomax/jrivermc-docker
This should give you everything you need for successful installation.
JRemote 3.43

KBoz

• Recent member
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2020, 05:19:55 pm »

I'd like to do the container station set up for QNAP.  How do I reference the git location of jrivermc26 or 27 and then can I do host networkig and still access from outside with port forwarding?  I'm likely going to have problems with setting up my music folder but I'll work on that after I get the basics done.

I'll also be doing JRemote and possibly House Band.  I was easily running this on my MAc Server but I've been having problems with it for a while (After Catalina 10.14).

I'll also want to stream to my OPPO UDP-205 via DLNA I believe.

I have an instance of jrivermc26 docker running and on the NAS I can get to a GUI but it doesn't find my Library and I haven't tried accessing from JRiver or externally since I had ports forwarded (House Band anyway) to my MAC.

Thanks for any help.

HaWi

« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2020, 11:20:15 am »

I'm afraid I cannot help you with QNAP specific issues. However, I would assume that Docker itself functions the same on a QNAP and a Synology. If that is the case, you can bring up the container and then add/set up all the environment variables (user ids, shared folders etc. ) in Docker. I am very new at this but with Max's help I was able to get it running perfectly on my Synology Docker. If you take the information from Max's write up ( https://hub.docker.com/r/shiomax/jrivermc26 ) you should be able to get everything set up properly from within Docker.
JRemote 3.43

NH

• Recent member
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2021, 08:05:35 am »

I use the Container Station wizard/UI as it provides all the required options and saves having to putty or SSH into the QNAP and run docker commands.

If you're able to connect internally it sounds like you're just about there, and the only thing left to do is sort networking.

I have my Container Network mode set to Bridge and use a static IP to set a unique address for the MC instance on my network. Once it is in this state, MC is behaving no differently to how it would on a physical host on your internal network. If you use DLNA quite a bit in your setup you might want to use DHCP instead, and reserve the address for MC to use. DLNA often works better that way but I find it makes no difference in my setup so leave it at static. Pretty simple, have attached a screenshot.

Only thing to remember is to also add a Mac Address as noted in this thread, I've scrubbed mine out in the screenshot.

Just remember as well to back your library up before making a change to a container setting, as it will most likely cause the image to generate a new container.

To access MC from outside your network you either need to configure port forwarding on your router, or possibly DDNS from within the QNAP.

I use port forwarding, and configure anything coming in on port 5800 to go to the IP Address I configured in my Container Station setup. Similarly for JRemote I configure port 52199.

Scobie

Many thanks for this lead. I tried this out. Here the address becomes in my case x.x.x.x:52199.

However I am not able to get into via VNC. Get a message "connection closed unexpectedly". Dont know if its a QNAP issue or a docker image issue. So for me whether I use host or NAT or bridge as network options, there is no difference.

I also read on a QNAP forum that you need to change the color settings in VNC, which also I tried.

I also read somewhere that you need to use the password jriver. I havent managed to get to that screen only.

Would you have any advice? Many thanks in advance.

Best

NH

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up