INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Removing Metadata Written to Images from Old MC Version  (Read 1463 times)

msnell

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Help Removing Metadata Written to Images from Old MC Version
« on: January 15, 2020, 12:28:42 am »

I did some experimenting with an earlier version of MediaCenter to catalog thousands of my photos. I've since moved on to other photo management solutions.

I've not seen any sign of those MC tags in any photo or tagging software I've used since. I recently discovered EXIFTOOL and was surprised to see that MC had written all those tags to what appears to be a proprietary tag in my photos. This was not a pleasant surprise. Over the years I've likely posted some of those photos to my blogs or websites and unwittingly exposed private information (location, my children's names, etc.)

Here is a modified example of one of those tags.

[XML]           Tool_Name                       : Media Center
[XML]           Tool_Version                    : 12.0.185
[XML]           Date                            : 2007:03:27 18:27:48
[XML]           Name                            : IMG_4249
[XML]           Events                          : Christmas Morning in Vancouver
[XML]           Rating                          : 4
[XML]           Album                           : 3/27/2007
[XML]           Family                          : Bobby

I would really appreciate some help figuring out how to remove those tags. I've tried using EXIFTOOL, but it won't recognize these tags. I've tried loading them into a current version of Media Center. I can see the tags and have managed to empty clear some of the fields, but the tag "Family" (which has my family members names) does not seem to appear, so I can't clear that field.

I'd appreciate any suggestions to clear the missing fields or ideally just remove the entire set of tags from my photos.

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help Removing Metadata Written to Images from Old MC Version
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:45:07 am »

If you add the "Family" field to MC, it should become visible and then you could clear it. You need to match the tag name exactly, case and all, for it to appear in MC. Look in the MC Tag Dump are of the tag window to confirm what the tag is called.

Then there is a function under the right-click menu > Library Tools > Remove tags. That may remove all tags from the file... or it may not. A quick test wasn't positive.

I see you are on a Mac. When you look at Document Properties (or whatever it is called, Document Info? - I no longer use a Mac so I forget), do there tags show, and is there a way to remove the tags? Windows Explorer has such a function, but it also is pretty useless. Maybe it removes personal data, but never all data.

Lightroom?
Photoshop?

That's about all I've got. Except try lots of tagging tools!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

msnell

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Help Removing Metadata Written to Images from Old MC Version
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 09:45:27 am »

I used "Remove Tags" feature and that appears to have cleaned up all of the MC proprietary tags in my photos.

Thanks for the guidance. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up