INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I link 2 tracks together in a playlist  (Read 6439 times)

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
How do I link 2 tracks together in a playlist
« on: July 10, 2021, 09:45:31 pm »

The version is 24.0.75  I have searched everywhere and all the talk about links never explains how to actually do it.  Please help if you can.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I link 2 tracks together in a playlist
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 11:02:54 pm »

Select two or more tracks > Right click > Library Tools > Link Tracks

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 12:48:35 am »

Thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 02:47:46 am »

You're welcome. If you're going to start using this feature, the time will come when you want a view that allows you to see a list of files that you have linked.

I'm not sure how experienced you are with creating and configuring views in MC, but here are some tips you may or may not find useful...

A short, but productive thread discussing links can be found here.
A primer for view creation/editing can be found here.

As I use this feature for both audio and image files, I created my view inside an "All Media" group I added to my MC tree.
  • Use a "Panes" view.
  • Untick the "Use parent scheme rules" option
  • Use this rule in "Set rules for file display"
    Code: [Select]
    (-[Link Start]=[] or -[Link]=[]) ~sort=[Link Start]
  • At the file list, group by > a-z > Link Start

Shout if you get stuck or have any other questions.

-marko

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 10:08:35 am »

Thanks marko. 

That is a nice view which will come in handy.

Do you know the number correlation in the heading of each album and what causes the "unassigned"?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 11:00:36 am »

Thanks marko. 
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Do you know the number correlation in the heading of each album and what causes the "unassigned"?
In my view, the only place I can find 'unassigned' is if I add a "Link" pane... Is that where you are seeing it?

It's how linked sequences are held in the library....
Imagine three linked files... The [Link] field for these is like so...
File #1 --> reference to file #2
File #2 --> reference to file #3
File #3 --> [Link] is empty
This means that File #3 (or the final file in each linked sequence) will return unassigned in the [Link] pane.

Matt came up with this solution...
I'm thinking about adding a "Link Start" field that's the ID of the first file in the link and would be set for all the files in the link.

Using that, it's pretty simple to see if a track is in a link because the "Link Start" value isn't empty.
Which reminds me that in the view being discussed here, the "set rules for file display", really only needs...
Code: [Select]
-[Link Start]=[] ~sort=[Link Start]This rule returns the same files as the one posted in reply #3 above, which was used to also bring in linked sequences made before Matt introduced the [Link Start] field.

The seemingly random number found in the [Link Start] field for each linked sequence is actually the internal database FileKey() value for the first file in each sequence. It is really meaningless to us as end users, but does allow us to nicely group each linked sequence of files.

-marko

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 11:37:28 am »

Thanks for the reply and time.  I'll sit down with this later today.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 09:08:53 pm »

In my view, the only place I can find 'unassigned' is if I add a "Link" pane... Is that where you are seeing it?

It's how linked sequences are held in the library....This means that File #3 (or the final file in each linked sequence) will return unassigned in the [Link] pane.
-marko

Reference the unassigned, I'm guessing over time the links were corrupted or had been messed up somehow.  When I took the tracks that were unassigned and redid the links they disappeared from that grouping and went back to their album heading.  So, it was a useful header as it needed a fix.

Again, thanks for the help.

WTWASP

• Recent member
  • Sometimes I feel so incomplete...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 12:58:00 am »

How do I link 2 tracks together in a playlist?

I assume by "link" you mean "combine" as to make 2 or more tracks into one long track...?

1. Open the desired tracks to be linked (as one track) in a media editing program, such MC's own "Media Editor" audio editor.
2. Copy the successive track onto the end of the preceding track (or to prevent accidental over-writing, copy & paste the first track into a "New File" palette - make sure the bitrate sampling matches), and then copy and paste each following track at the end... rinse & repeat til all desired tracks are copied/pasted in a single file, and save as a new file to desired location.
3. Import the new file to the desired playlist(s).

Instructions on how to use Media Editor in more detail should be available in the "Help" section of your product.

If you wish to link/combine video tracks, you'll need a video editing program (following the same principle steps) outside of MC, as I do not know of any video editing tools within MC (unless they've added any since version 10? LOL)

If you need additional editing programs, NCH Software has an array of decent programs for multiple applications (file editing, CD/DVD ripping & burning, extracting audio from video, etc).

W T WASP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 08:40:11 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up