INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FreeNAS with JRiver Media Server  (Read 1295 times)

KlingKlang

FreeNAS with JRiver Media Server
« on: January 19, 2020, 12:55:59 pm »

Hello everybody.

So, i was planning to upgrade my current FreeNAS-server to a newer version and new hardware.
Since the server will be running 24/7, i figured that i could install JRiver Media Center in a Windows 7 Virtual Machine with my current license so i can stream my media to Gizmo, instead of having two computer running 24/7. It works but the VM has a poor performance and i canīt stream videos to my phone without media freezes and is out of sync due to the low performance. So, i figured that i can install the Linux version and maybe that version would run smoother since i wonīt have to emulate the whole windows 7 system.

The problem is, i donīt want to install the complete Media Center (i just really want the Media Server) since i will connect to the Media Server with remote connection and watch my media on a Windows 7 computer with MC (HTPC).

My question is the following: Is it plausible to do (install Media center, but just run the media server) on my server and remote connect to my HTPC?
I have only a windows license of MC so i donīt want to buy a Master licens without knowing if it will work.

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: FreeNAS with JRiver Media Server
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 11:47:33 am »

Many people, including me do effectively the same thing, though you cannot install 'just the media server'. Its an all or nothing program in that regard.

What specs does your server have and what did you give the Windows VM? Graphics card counts since
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=120104.0

Might help you quite a bit. But you probably dont have a spare gpu lying around to passthrew to your VM so I think docker would be the only way to achieve gpu acceleration then.

You can lookup how the plex people do it as they have more widely used containers / many guides available and mapping the gpu to make available to the container (should) work just about the same way. Seems like you actually canīt  run docker straight on freenas either. It spins up a rancheros vm so that does not help.

Since JRiver has a 30 days trial. You can just try it and see if itīs any better without purchasing anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up