INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you've tried Cloudplay or Radio JRiver recently, was it useful and interesting?

Yes
Moderately
No
Haven't tried it recently
Haven't had time to try
No interest

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Is JRiver Streaming Interesting?  (Read 9047 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
POLL: Is JRiver Streaming Interesting?
« on: January 22, 2020, 08:27:10 am »

JRiver Cloudplay lets you upload mixed playlists of lossless audio to our server at Amazon.  You can then play these playlists by using JRiver Media Center on another computer in any location.  Any Cloudplay user can also play playlists others have contributed. 

Cloudplay content provides the source for Radio JRiver.

Do you see value in this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: POLL: Is JRiver Streaming Interesting?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:26:46 am »

Simple suggestions are also welcome. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 12:27:44 pm »

Waiting for the day I can run Cloudplay/JRiver Radio from JRemote on my iPhone over 4G and listen to it in the car.... Then I'd be all over it like a rash :)

-marko.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:06:42 pm »

I voted "moderately", but that vote is for Cloudplay.  Radio... would be a "no".  Cloudplay lets me kind of look around for stuff that suits my tastes.  Radio gives me tracks (most of which) I find I don't like.  I guess my tastes are kind of set.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 03:09:26 pm »

Radio gives me tracks (most of which) I find I don't like.  I guess my tastes are kind of set.
Any particular genres that might be more interesting to you?

jachin99

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:29:36 pm »

I actually don't have any of my own content in my jriver library and use it exclusively for these features.  It's cheap music and it offers a catalogue that I likely wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.  Invited moderately because I think you could use more channels specifically a few catered to those in their 20s or 30s.  I would also like to see the radio playlists updated more frequently.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 12:26:49 pm »

One suggestion may be making playlists at the top of Cloudplay by decade for Rock/Pop music.

Then users of various ages could access rock/pop from their memories/tastes.  Rock is so all encompassing that it stretches too far.  Now, if it was by decade users could zero in on it more to their tastes and also let someone sample decades where they aren't so familiar with.

Classical not so much needed. 

I'd say jazz could be more defined also, but as a fan it isn't so much of a deal.  I know the search feature could be used for this, but if the playlist is missing certain data/keywords then we miss it.

Nice job putting the Progressive playlist together, btw.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 12:52:17 pm »

I would love to have more Soul music radio stations.
With artists like:
James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, The Temptations, Joe Tex, Sam and Dave, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, James Carr, Soul Children, Johnnie Taylor, The Dramatics, Eddie Floyd, Rufus Thomas, Carla Thomas, The O'jays, Harold Melvin, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, Al Green, Percy Sledge, Bill Withers, Tammi Terrell, The Isley Brothers, Diana Ross och The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Booker T. & the M.G.'s, Barry White, Solomon Burke, Patti LaBelle, Donny Hathaway, Billy Preston, Gladys Knight och The Pips, Martha Reeves, The Jackson 5, Isaac Hayes, Etta James, The Staple Singers, Irma Thomas, Michael Jackson, The Miracles, Curtis Mayfield, The Impressions, Willie Mitchell.

To name a few.
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 06:45:51 am »

Waiting for the day I can run Cloudplay/JRiver Radio from JRemote on my iPhone over 4G and listen to it in the car.... Then I'd be all over it like a rash :)

-marko.

Actually just posted the question in the forum, I thought that's possible already.
But why do I need to upload the content?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:04:08 am »

I replied to your other post, but Marko is correct that Cloudplay and JRiver Radio don't yet work for remote playback.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 10:09:46 am »

I would love to have more Soul music radio stations.
With artists like:
James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, The Temptations, Joe Tex, Sam and Dave, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, James Carr, Soul Children, Johnnie Taylor, The Dramatics, Eddie Floyd, Rufus Thomas, Carla Thomas, The O'jays, Harold Melvin, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, Al Green, Percy Sledge, Bill Withers, Tammi Terrell, The Isley Brothers, Diana Ross och The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Booker T. & the M.G.'s, Barry White, Solomon Burke, Patti LaBelle, Donny Hathaway, Billy Preston, Gladys Knight och The Pips, Martha Reeves, The Jackson 5, Isaac Hayes, Etta James, The Staple Singers, Irma Thomas, Michael Jackson, The Miracles, Curtis Mayfield, The Impressions, Willie Mitchell.

To name a few.
I added a small Soul playlist on my Cloudplay Account (JimH).

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 09:41:45 am »

I voted moderately.

Cloudplay Search could be much more functional, if possible maybe integrate it with MC's own very good search.
For example, I was trying to search for "Alphaville" and it only gave me usernames and their playlists, which I had to manually search for where that "Alphaville" was. Very cumbersome and slow compared to MC library search.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 12:00:18 pm »

I voted moderately.

Cloudplay Search could be much more functional, if possible maybe integrate it with MC's own very good search.
For example, I was trying to search for "Alphaville" and it only gave me usernames and their playlists, which I had to manually search for where that "Alphaville" was. Very cumbersome and slow compared to MC library search.
I don't disagree.  You can use Play Doctor to search for what you want and similar artists.  There's a thread here on how to use it.

pacdpm

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 02:10:08 pm »

How about Broadway Orig cast albums.  Easy Listening i.e. Sinatra, Streisand, Ella, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Bobby Darin.  Big Band  Benny Goodman, The dorseys, Artie Shaw etc?  You do have some 'older' users!!  Thanks

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 08:38:50 pm »

How about Broadway Orig cast albums.  Easy Listening i.e. Sinatra, Streisand, Ella, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Bobby Darin.  Big Band  Benny Goodman, The dorseys, Artie Shaw etc?  You do have some 'older' users!!  Thanks

They're available on Cloudplay playlists.  If you type what you want in the search box at the top of the Cloudplay page (ie Big Band or Sinatra) and hit "enter", a listing of users who have uploaded playlists will appear in the left column.

You can then "click" on the user and only the playlists having your search will appear.  I have a Big Band Top Ten and a Crooners playlist that includes these artists on my list and others do also. 

Using the Cloudplay search feature is a valuable tool.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 12:31:54 pm »

I just wanted to add a reason for my "haven't had time to try" answer in the poll...

I'm pretty busy of late digitizing vinyl and that's taking up most, if not all, of my music time nowadays.

I do think that Cloudplay is a great idea, I've uploaded a playlist or two, and I do plan to start listening once I get past this current project.  :)

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 01:21:51 am »

Cloudplay/Radio is both interesting and useful.

I plan on uploading more playlists but I keep getting side tracked. Every time I make a playlist there are mp3 files that I know I have a FLAC version of, which has started me on a re-rip mission. A lot of my art was added over 10 years ago and is of awful quality, which has started me on an art updating mission. Shouldn't be too much longer until I start uploading again.

I haven't really found anything new or interesting on Cloudplay but I also own a mental amount of music so it's rare I find something I like that isn't in my collection. I don't find spotify, tidal, etc useful for finding new music either.

Where I have used Cloudplay the most is at friends houses that have MC. They don't have massive collections and are always looking for something different. I believe they all use it as much as any other service. If I didn't sign them up I doubt they would have noticed it though. I also doubt they would ever donate.

Making more radio stations I think would be beneficial. Most people I know have satellite radio and listen to it regularly. I swear each station plays about 15 songs in a continuous loop. Those that play new music probably add 1 song a week to the loop. This would be very easy to replicate. Amazon's free (maybe free with Prime) streaming stations follow the same formula.

Something that stops me from using Cloudplay is the fact that it's lossless. I appreciate the quality but I can't justify using 300MB of internet to listen to 10 songs when I can use that 300MB to download an album that I can listen to over and over for the rest of my life. If there was an option to convert it to 256 mp3 I could use it more. I am probably in the minority with my bandwidth limitations but it would be interesting to know if there are others.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 12:39:23 am »

OK, I have taken more time to look at this. It was a little confusing at first, but you quickly figure it out. Sure, there could be some additional development, but as long as we support it, you know that will happen. It is good for discovery.

It has a lot of potential. Thanks for doing this. Definitely interesting.

And all of you that have put up the playlists! That is cool!

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 10:04:45 am »

Voted "moderately" - Radio is of no interest to me, CloudPlay could be a burner if it was possible to use it while being connected to a server, having mixed playlists of tracks on server and tracks "from the cloud". Currently only works while connected to local library...

Screwdriver

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 03:05:37 pm »

Enjoying the Cloudplay except I wish users would name their playlists better. Found some music I never heard.

R10

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 11:20:09 am »

I`m using in Streaming category integrated sites like Youtube, di.fm... Of course,  I add manually some more sites for great listening experience... Not using Cloudplay....

livingondogfood

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 09:07:10 am »

No, the reason is the playlists must be mixes. The groups I listen to have been around for awhile. I make mixes of a single artist from their vast catalogue.
For example I just recently discovered the band 人間椅子 usually written in English as Ningen Isu which translated means "The human chair" (no I don't know any Japanese). They celebrated their 30th anniversary in 2019. Twenty one studio albums, not to mention live, compilations, etc. Or for someone more well known, I like Joe Satriani's instrumental music. I'm guessing I own 23 albums of material. Frank Sinatra to Led Zeppelin or Michael Schenker, UFO, Frank Zappa or Duke Ellington, lots of albums to make mixes out of, but only like to listen to that one artist at a time.

jjfabbsy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 08:55:17 pm »

Doesn't really interest me - would rather more "insights" and "suggestions" based on my library, leveraging the database etc. I really like what "Plexamp" does - but JRiver is still my main listening tool.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 09:39:54 pm »

Try using it with Play Doctor.

boss_hogg

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 04:56:10 am »

I'm definitely interested in Cloudplay. I was stunned by the quality, most of my files are 192kbps mp3s and the difference is very noticeable.

Integration with Play Doctor also sounds very useful but it doesn't seem to work in my case. I just starting exploring Cloudplay though, I'll look into it.

If searching was as comprehensive as MC's main search feature, it would be a big improvement.

janpeeters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 03:13:13 pm »

Enjoying the Cloudplay except I wish users would name their playlists better. Found some music I never heard.

I agree with this, would be nice.

I also had the following idea because I'm not sure that a alphabetical list with usernames is the best way to start discovering music.
The home screen could be better used by displaying Popular Playlists, New Playlists and Popular Users. Put those more front and center instead of hidden under a lists button.

Maybe the list of users could also be sorted on popularity or activity 

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 12:47:58 pm »

Looks very cool. I recently started using MC26 again. This looks like 16/44.1 lossless CD files. From the little I looked at you guys are much better at this than I will be. My files are all 24/96 needle drops and are entire albums. Not sure How I would go about adding to the cloud.

One thing my vinyl rig is pretty nice using a DynavectorDV-XX2MKll cartridge having the reputation of sounding very lush.

Gretschguy

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 02:50:54 pm »

Hi,streaming is definitely interesting and it's the future -- especially once 5G arrives!

My response / wishlist here is two fold with regard to JRiver and future streaming possibilities.

(1). It would be great to have an alternative to Plex for music lovers.  These JRiver streaming concepts seem related.   I currently use both JRiver and Plex, it's a hassle to manage two libraries.   I would love to drop Plex and use only JRiver if I could.

I use Plex running on a 6TB Synology NAS to maintain all my vinyl rips, CDs, downloads etc -- it is essentially my personal "Spotify" streaming to a range of devices (lossless to my home audio system, lossy to my iPhone when I'm outside my network).  Generally it works very well but it's getting more and more bloated with other stuff and the music aspect of it is becoming an afterthought, for example cover art used to work well and is now broken and nobody seems to have time to fix it.   JRiver, as a library tool, is awesome in comparison.   

Meanwhile I use JRiver as a very sophisticated library tool to manage my Lossless 2TB USB drive for my car (Mercedes).   The car system is pretty stupid so I needed a tool that would allow renaming of my files automatically, smart playlist management, etc.. just to make the car system usable for a large library.   For example, I had issues with the car for songs with the same artist and same song name (consider e.g., about 5 versions of "Start Me Up" from various live stones albums and CDs and you get the picture) -- yes, the car system is lame.   JRiver has been a life saver in this regard!

I can't drop Plex currently in favor of JRiver because I stream my music to my car and to my iPhone, Plex shines in this regard, it converts to mp3 "on the fly" if I want to save some bandwidth when in my car or, conversely, I can stream lossless at home (when on wi-fi for example).

JRiver, as I understand it, has no way to stream to my iPhone -- JRiver also isn't situated to run as an "always on" server from a NAS like device.

That said, I understand these new Cloudplay ideas seem to be related to Plex / NAS concept but running on AWS -- good  idea but my library is on a 6TB NAS so I'm not sure how that would be economical on AWS.   It would fall short for me also without iPhone integration and the "on the fly" conversion concepts that are so strong in Plex allowing better control of the bandwidth trade-offs.

So my wishlist related to streaming would be to support an "always on" server model and support streaming from inside someone's home to the outside world and iOS.

(2).  I run an internet radio station called "True Vinyl Alternative", it's based around the simple concept of playing new and old alternative LPs over 320 mp3, trying to capture some of the old school richness and dynamics of vinyl but in a modern context.   There are thousands of listeners across the globe.   The royalty rights etc.. are all paid for and offset with some advertising sponsors.   I'm wondering how a standard internet radio station like this one fits into the JRiver streaming model? 

Thanks for hearing my thoughts!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 03:28:00 pm »

Gretschguy,
You can stream from MC's Library Server to a remote device.  JRemote can do that.  Take a look  at Media Network on the wiki.  It can also convert on-the-fly.

Gretschguy

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 05:32:01 pm »

Thank you very much!  Just bought the Remote app and will give it a try.
Sounds really cool!

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 03:08:51 am »

I have not had time to try Cloudplay as yet it is yet another sign up - will get around to it one day. I have tried  Radio - but unfortunately it presents exactly the same playlist everytime it does not even mix up the order - is this by design?
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

isaccasi1234

• Recent member
  • Enough Is Enough
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 05:47:10 am »

Yes it is interesting, but too expensive, maybe I will purchase 1 year of RadioTunes next month
I have all my music on HDD Drives(external) 5-6 TB. ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 06:07:39 am »

Yes it is interesting, but too expensive ...
You can donate whatever you want, including nothing.

Nekriver

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 04:39:25 am »

Hi,

it is an intereseting Option in JRiver. It is like Podcasting... So... At the time i dont use it and have never used it. But in future when i will get the whole equipment for DJing, it will be interesting for me. But dont know. There so many other Websites in Web, which are better for DJing and Podcasting.

But it is a great community thing. So there will meeting up only the guys who have still JRiver owned. Right? So it is rather a JRiver community.... Makes it more interesting in a way.
MC 26 / Win10 64bit
Pages: [1]   Go Up