INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver keeps changing song/album/artist info incorrectly  (Read 2134 times)

baked

• Recent member
JRiver keeps changing song/album/artist info incorrectly
« on: January 23, 2020, 11:27:38 pm »

I've tried importing my music a few times now and it keeps changing stuff incorrectly.  I think it has to do with Audio Analyze since this last import I turned that off and things seem to be fine now. 

Is there anyway to get Audio Analyze to not change track names to something completely random? I like the idea of it mainly for the 'Volume Leveling' and 'Adaptive Volume' functionality.   

Thanks

baked

• Recent member
Re: JRiver keeps changing song/album/artist info incorrectly
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 11:30:48 pm »

Some songs still got imported under the wrong artist/song

baked

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 12:49:01 am »

Here is an image showing what is happening.  I've had to go through and manually change everything but it's really annoying

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 06:14:06 am »

Most reliable way to import is … when ripping CD tag files properly … then import process is smooth as baby buttock.

Your files probably have no tags (or wrong tags … which I suspect is the case as MC assigned track name that has nothing to do with your file name and/or directory structure … can check tags inside files with free tools like mp3tag).

You have to admit - its mighty hard for software to guess correct tags from your file structure

f:\my music\alice in chains - discography\alice in chains\1999 - music bank - 3 disc box set\disc 1\08 we die young.mp3

not so easy to decide from that where is artist and where is album (easy for humans … not so for software … eg [disc 1] can be easily interpreted as artist and/or album name)

in your case I think its best to use  [Fill Properties from Filename] … here is a link by @glynor on how to use it

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.msg531772#msg531772
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

baked

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 07:52:19 pm »

Awesome, thanks for the info!! I will try that tonight.  So far I've fixed everything so nervous to have it happen again haha

baked

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 08:29:59 pm »

Awesome, thanks for the info!! I will try that tonight.  So far I've fixed everything so nervous to have it happen again haha

I tried what the post said and it changed all the artists names to 'My Music' lol maybe I missed something.  There is just way too much info for something like this, wondering if this program is even for me.  I like that it actually randomizes my songs but it's unnecessarily complicated to use.

I'm scared to do the Audio Analyze thing now because I don't want it to change song names, I don't get why there isn't an option to turn that off for it.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 11:14:52 pm »

Audio Analyze does not change file names or tags (it adds additional tags only related to audio properties of music … determine peak value, dynamic range of songs … also can detect if file has HDCD imbedded if you specify in option) … this info can be used to adjust volume of songs so everything plays at same level of volume

If its a bit hard to understand tags in MC ... try using MP3Tag (while MC is closed) to change tags of your files to correct values (its manual job) … then from MC - update tags from file.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 07:34:28 am »

Please read about tagging on the wiki.  MC's tools can help you correct tags.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 07:37:23 am »

Your files probably have no tags (or wrong tags … which I suspect is the case as MC assigned track name that has nothing to do with your file name and/or directory structure … can check tags inside files with free tools like mp3tag).

You have to admit - its mighty hard for software to guess correct tags from your file structure
MC can do that reliably, but it doesn't use the file structure for tagging unless you tell it to.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 01:37:20 pm »

That screen shot makes it look like you have many duplicates of the same song... which I do not think you do.  I've seen similar behavior when you have CUE files in the same directory as your song files.  Please go look at the albums you showed, in Windows Explorer, and see if there are CUE files in the directory.  If so, I think that's your problem.

Brian.

baked

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 10:33:51 pm »

That screen shot makes it look like you have many duplicates of the same song... which I do not think you do.  I've seen similar behavior when you have CUE files in the same directory as your song files.  Please go look at the albums you showed, in Windows Explorer, and see if there are CUE files in the directory.  If so, I think that's your problem.

Brian.

Hey Brian, no CUE files but I do have a few dupes thanks to owning some greatest hits albums

baked

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 10:49:09 pm »

Please read about tagging on the wiki.  MC's tools can help you correct tags.

I've tried to read it but there is far too much info and unfortunately I don't learn well from reading walls of text.  I tried doing the template thing and it names all the artists "My Music".  So far I've just been editing the info in JRiver but it isn't applying these changes to the files which I would like.

Update tags(from Library)
Update library(from tags)

What do I choose for these options? Shouldn't my library have the tags?  Where is it pulling tags from to update the library?

I feel like this should be very straight forward with an simple tagging interface but I feel like I'm going through hoops and bounds to find the options I need. Why isn't there a "Apply current tags to files in folders" for when I'm editing the track info/tags in JRiver to fix any issues?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 06:39:36 am »

Tagging is very important for search ... artist, album, song name are all tags ... so are year of album release, gender of music ... custom tags can be added like “My song rating”

Files themselves like mp3 and flac can have tags embedded into them. So they carry those tags independent of which player play them. When player detects tags inside files - it usually displays them while playing ... info like artist and  song name are often displayed

Obviously if your files carry wrong tags ... wrong information will be displayed

When importing files into MC, MC will try to load tags embedded into files. Obviously if tags inside files are wrong, MC will pull out that wrong information.

MC will save pulled out information from file inside it’s own database to be used later for sorting your music. You can modify pulled out info ... and changes will be saved to MC database.

[Update tags (from library)] simply forces MC to update files embedded tags from MC database ... so changes you made in MC will be written into music files themselves (that way any modifications about song info you made in MC will stay with files in case you choose not to use MC anymore)

[Update library (from tags)] will force MC to reload tags embedded inside the files to MC database. Any modifications you previously made in MC will be discarded (this is in case when you changed tags and found you did it wrong and want to start all over again)

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 12:53:58 pm »

You have a good number of duplicates.  Is it possible you have 7 different albums with the track "Would?" from Alice in Chains?  If so, it's just a matter of getting the album titles adjusted.

If not, somehow your metadata is wrong.  I would start with one of those duplicated songs and examine every file with that duplicated song and album name.  Like "Would?" for example.  Check every one of them and see if they belong to different albums (different versions, compilations, etc), or if you have the wrong metadata in the song files. 

If it's not obvious from MC, I would examine each of those files in a metadata editor external to MC.  People here on the Windows side seem to really like MP3Tag.  I have never used it, so don't take my word for it!

Good luck.

Brian.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 11:05:16 pm »

People here on the Windows side seem to really like MP3Tag.

with MP3Tag there is no doubt that tags you see come from file … its free … and easy to use

I rip with ExactAudioCopy (EAC) … and always make sure that during ripping all standard tags/covers are correct … I use EAC because of Accurip check (I know ppl argue that Accurip database is public and can be easily manipulated) … but if my CD is authentic - and I get confirmation that several ppl rip results are same as mine … then I am sure my rip was good

only problem with Accurip database manipulation is if you have bootleg CD … then confirmation that several ppl rip result is same as your is not guarantee that your bootleg CD is same as authentic CD (those same ppl might have been ripping the same bootleg CD as yours, which might have been generated from mp3)

on old rips (before I start using EAC) I use CUETools to verify Accurip database and MP3Tag to verify their tags

I also use CUETools to repair bad rips (ie EAC reports that some songs are rip "incorrectly" and there is enough correct data to repair bad data from CD scratches)

only then I import music to MC and add non-standard/custom tags in MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up