INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC25 disregards Subtitles set to ‘never’  (Read 1559 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
MC25 disregards Subtitles set to ‘never’
« on: January 28, 2020, 11:09:16 am »

I have my MC25.0.114 subtitles setting set to ‘never’ but they always default to on.

I see that this was a problem in MC 24. Can you please fix it for MC25/26... I’m getting tired of getting up, right-clicking the display and turning subtitles off... just saying...

TIA :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: MC25 disregards Subtitles set to ‘never’
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:30:44 am »

"never" subtitles work as expected, the only subtitles they do let through are those marked as "forced", which in a properly formatted file would be for eg. Alien languages, which any normal viewer is not expected to understand.

I use never subtitles on a daily basis and the worst thing I have to do is to actually turn on alien subs now and then because the file did not mark them properly.

If you can give us a concrete example, ideally with a.file that doesn't work as expected, we can take a look.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

shAf

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 01:01:02 pm »

"never" subtitles work as expected, the only subtitles they do let through are those marked as "forced", which in a properly formatted file would be for eg. Alien languages, ...

If you can give us a concrete example, ideally with a.file that doesn't work as expected, we can take a look.
I’m speaking of the new Terminator movie as a MKV, so it shouldn’t be a “forced subtitle” video. It’s a large file—let me know where to send a download link.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:20:00 pm »

I'm hendrik at jriver.

For such tests you could also make a small sample file, eg. with DGSplit. With a MKV, a single chunk from the start with maybe 50MB should be decent. But please check that the resulting file exhibits the same behavior, eg. by checking which subtitle tracks MC activated - 50MB is likely too small to actually show any subtitles, unless it comes in very early.

DGSplit is a dumb binary splitting software, and MKV has all relevant information at the start of the file, so it should not impact behavior.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 07:17:29 am »

what's your settings for

[Options]->[Video]->[Subtitles & Language]->[Subtitle mode]

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

shAf

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 08:19:16 am »

what's your settings for

[Options]->[Video]->[Subtitles & Language]->[Subtitle mode]
‘Do not show subtitles’

shAf

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 08:58:03 am »

I'm hendrik at jriver.

For such tests you could also make a small sample file, eg. with DGSplit. With a MKV, a single chunk from the start with maybe 50MB should be decent. But please check that the resulting file exhibits the same behavior, eg. by checking which subtitle tracks MC activated - 50MB is likely too small to actually show any subtitles, unless it comes in very early.

DGSplit is a dumb binary splitting software, and MKV has all relevant information at the start of the file, so it should not impact behavior.
Hello Hendrik...

I tried DGsplit and saved the 1st 50Mb which came to approximately 1 minute.  It should've been enough as subtitles show up in the 1st 20 seconds. Unfortunately, the subtitles didn't carry over. Subtitles show if I play the movie, but don't show for the 1st 50Mb even while the 1st minute plays fine ... ('cept is crashed MC...)

EDIT: I discovered that the subtitles 'subs' folder needed to be included. However, while checking it and trying to upload it, 5000Kb (your upload limit) plays only the first 5 seconds and no subtitles.  I tried subsequent segments but MC will not import them. Let me know how to send you a link to a 50Mb files...

..or please advise

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 10:25:11 am »

if someone watched the movie before you and set subtitles to show … MC will remember that setting for that movie

[Options]->[Video]->[Subtitles & Language]->[Subtitle mode] seems to work only once when you first watch the movie … next time you watch, it will use same setting as last time you watch

I would actually expect MC to hang (not crash) as DGSplit split file into chunks of size you tell it to - without care of preserving integrity of file format. Subtitles should have been "carried over" … you can test that by enabling subtitles while watching it

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 10:31:50 am »

EDIT: I discovered that the subtitles 'subs' folder needed to be included.

So does that mean that you not only have a MKV file, but a whole bunch of external subtitles as well? Such information would've been useful to start with. Usual video files do not come like that, they instead include the subtitles inside the video file itself.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

shAf

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 10:41:34 am »

So does that mean that you not only have a MKV file, but a whole bunch of external subtitles as well? Such information would've been useful to start with. Usual video files do not come like that, they instead include the subtitles inside the video file itself.
Only 2 extra sidecar files, a ‘sub’ and ‘idx’ file...

Forgive me for not knowing everything that would be useful to you, but now that you know, what difference does it make?  MC plays the subtitles while configured not to. Do you want the sample or not?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 11:12:49 am »

Only 2 extra sidecar files, a ‘sub’ and ‘idx’ file...

Forgive me for not knowing everything that would be useful to you, but now that you know, what difference does it make?  MC plays the subtitles while configured not to. Do you want the sample or not?

[Options]->[Video]->[Subtitles & Language]->[Subtitle mode] seems to work only for subtitles inside movie files. If its external sub, MC will use that regardless of the setting.

I don't have external subs - so never faced this problem … all my subs are put inside the movie during ripping … in rare instances when I need to download external subs (usually anime) - I mux them in with MKVToolnix

This behavior with external subs seems standard … MPC-HC and VLC also play external subs regardless of settings … my guess is - developers assume that if you bothered to download subs then you need it when watching movie.

PS. I do agree that [Options]->[Video]->[Subtitles & Language]->[Subtitle mode] should apply to external subs too

shAf

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »

[Options]->[Video]->[Subtitles & Language]->[Subtitle mode] seems to work only for subtitles inside movie files.
PS. I do agree that [Options]->[Video]->[Subtitles & Language]->[Subtitle mode] should apply to external subs too
Thanks Tij for that tidbit of info.  I thought I had read enough of the previous MC24 thread on the same subject that I should’ve known...

I agree with you. If the subtitles menu allows me to turn subtitles off then MC is “aware” that subtitles are ‘on’ when they should be ‘off’.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 05:09:05 am »

Though if you look from developer point of view ... it’s quite tricky to follow options for subtitles in settings as there is no definite/sure/universal way to identify language of those subtitles ... so it’s quite understandable for them to assume that if you bothered to get external subtitles then you want them to be shown

Just curious though ... if you don’t need subtitles - why load them?

... also getting a remote control will make the whole experience way better ... or at least wireless mouse and keyboard

shAf

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 05:56:47 am »

... also getting a remote control will make the whole experience way better ... or at least wireless mouse and keyboard

I do have a Harmony One emulating a Windows remote but didn’t know MC’s access to the subtitles menu was possible(?)

Regarding why keep the ‘subs’ folder at all... movies are not absolutely all in English these days, and you never know when subtitles will be needed

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 06:20:07 am »

Of course selecting subs is possible when playing movies ... otherwise it will be pretty crappy MC lol

When playing movies press up or down ... this will trigger menus to appear ... pressing up or down will cycle through available menus ... right/left selecting options in menus
Pages: [1]   Go Up