INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD upsampling via DLNA  (Read 2075 times)

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
DSD upsampling via DLNA
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:50:22 pm »

Hi, I enabled the Bitstream checkbox on the DLNA settings and a file that is native DSD64 or DSD128 is sent to the DAC and it recognizes it fine.

But if in DLNA DSP I choose to upsample everything to DSD, be it DoP or Native, the DLNA server simply ignores this and goes straight to the PCM upsampling options table.

In other words:
PCM file => ignores DSD upsampling => upsamples PCM => PCM playback OK
DSD file => ignores DSD upsampling => ignores PCM upsampling => DSD playback OK

Is this intentional or did I find a bug?
I just wished the Output Encoding box also worked on DLNA to convert everything to DSD.
Thanks.
1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. LG 65UM7470PSA - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCore MP mch - Monitor Audio Platinum PL100+PLC150 - SVS SB-3000
3. RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP
4. TempoTec Sonata E44 - Audeze LCDi3
5. Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD upsampling via DLNA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 12:12:16 pm »

Hi, I enabled the Bitstream checkbox on the DLNA settings and a file that is native DSD64 or DSD128 is sent to the DAC and it recognizes it fine.

But if in DLNA DSP I choose to upsample everything to DSD, be it DoP or Native, the DLNA server simply ignores this and goes straight to the PCM upsampling options table.

In other words:
PCM file => ignores DSD upsampling => upsamples PCM => PCM playback OK
DSD file => ignores DSD upsampling => ignores PCM upsampling => DSD playback OK

Is this intentional or did I find a bug?
I just wished the Output Encoding box also worked on DLNA to convert everything to DSD.
Thanks.
DSD isn't a format that can be streamed while converting (the same is true of flac) and as such isn't an option for DLNA output format.
The output format should really be disabled when one is using DSP studio for DLNA.

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 02:14:15 pm »

DSD isn't a format that can be streamed while converting

Then how come other audiophile softwares can do it? Roon, HQ Player, Audirvana+, etc.
1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. LG 65UM7470PSA - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCore MP mch - Monitor Audio Platinum PL100+PLC150 - SVS SB-3000
3. RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP
4. TempoTec Sonata E44 - Audeze LCDi3
5. Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:47:16 am »

Then how come other audiophile softwares can do it? Roon, HQ Player, Audirvana+, etc.
While converting? They are converting something else to DSD and creating a fully seekable stream? To be able to do that you have to generate the content-length in advance while the file is in the process of being converted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up