INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projector Anamorphic Lens Support  (Read 1556 times)

Movieman

• World Citizen
Projector Anamorphic Lens Support
« on: February 08, 2020, 03:07:53 pm »

Over the years there appears to have been several requests for flexible anamorphic lens support in the JRiver forums. 

This has been partially addressed, however IMHO, it still could use some additional flexibility.

As JRiver has become an outstanding video media player with great 3D and 4K HDR support, I would hope this can be evaluated once more.  Addressing this would mean I could use JRiver media player exclusively and eliminate my existing collection of media players.

Here is my situation where the current support falls short:

I have a home theatre projection setup that uses an anamorphic lens with a 1.5x expansion factor, rather than the more common 1.33x.  My curved screen has a 2.70:1 aspect ratio. Before anyone mentions it, the lens is a commercial Isco DLP lens with a diameter is 8", the depth is 6" and it weighs a good 25 pounds.  So a sled is out of the question. ;D

In addition, I maintain a constant image height for all the common aspect ratio standard's that have been used over the years.
(1.77:1 (TV), 1.85:1 (Academy Flat), 2.00:1 (VistaVision), 2.20:1 (Todd-AO), 2.40:1 (CinemaScope), 2.55:1 (Early CinemaScope), 2.65:1 (Cinerama), and 2.76:1 (Ultra Panavision).

MPC-HC, VLC, PotPlayer, and Zoom player all support the ability to create custom aspect ratios for all the above formats to maintain a constant height and the corresponding width to restore the original square pixels which eliminates any distortion on the screen.

JRiver is the single exception.  :'(

JRiver comes close, with it's advanced aspect ratio correction options, except for the omission of an additional option that could look like this:

Desired Aspect Ratio Correction ratio x.xxx : x.xxx (fill in the blanks with your desired values). 

This would eliminate this issue forever, no matter what anamorphic lens expansion ratio or monitor was being used.

Alternately, although not the perfect solution, you could possibly add one more choice to the existing options: 1.78 (Widescreen 16x9) to 2.70 Display.

Ideally, if I could ask for the moon,  8) I would really really really like the ability to create multiple zoom presets accessible from keyboard hot keys with independent X and Y scaling values as is done in the other software mentioned above. 

However, I think the i and o keyboard zoom options would be a totally acceptable solution to the issue once the proper anamorphic lens correction has been applied.

Thanks in advance for any consideration.

TV Dias  AKA movieman

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Projector Anamorphic Lens Support
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 03:51:38 pm »

If you use ROHQ you can set a custom aspect ratio in the madVR renderer settings.
madVR also has the option to create profiles that can be switched to with keyboard shortcuts - or automatically via a large list of parameters. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1271417#post1271417

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 04:14:22 pm »

I am using ROHQ, I looked at the madvr settings and the web page you referenced and from what I can see, you can base a decision on the source AR or image size but I fail to see a way to actually modify the output dimensions.

Could be I am just missing something.....

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 05:37:59 pm »

Another note: 
As a possible workaround, I just tried an old software package I have used in the past called "Aspect Ratio Controller".  Basically, it can resize any window that is open, and I have used it successfully in the past with media players like WinDVD, PowerDVD, and Arcsoft.

It modifies the JRiver window size and shape successfully, but within a second or so, JRiver changes the window back to it's original size and shape.  So, not only is JRiver controlling the initial window size and shape (good), it's resetting it back to it's original dimensions every second or so (bad)

ARGH  :-[

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 05:59:17 pm »

I like the idea.  And I've got a big soft spot for projector users :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RD James

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 06:28:50 pm »

It should be in the screen config section:

It's possible that the build included with Media Center does not have this feature, as I don't think it's been updated in some time. I manually updated it to the latest beta for improved HDR support.

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 07:44:28 pm »

RD James:

Thank you Thank you Thank you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

11.4/8 is the magic number. 

I was debugging on my desktop and the anamorphic lens option only shows if the device is defined as a projector..... ::)

This gets me started.  The aspect ratio presets would still be a nice touch, but the i / o zoom will work for now.

Vern

RD James

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 07:43:31 am »

Ah, I didn't know those options only appeared if you defined the device as a projector.
Right-click the device to create profile groups for screen config.
Profile groups can be assigned hotkeys or switched automatically using the rules I linked to previously.

Another option you might find useful is madVR's "zoom control" processing, which detects and crops black bars from the source automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up