INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Streaming/Media Server  (Read 3087 times)

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
  • don't take any wooden nickles...
Help: Streaming/Media Server
« on: April 25, 2003, 10:49:12 am »

Is it possible to stream radio stations to a remote computer on a LAN with Media Server?  If so, please tell me what i'm doing wrong.  I put working stations in a playlist on the server.  From the remote computer i load the server's library, and open the streaming playlist. When i click on the station the program tries to open a dialup connection on the remote computer.  When i cancel the dialup i get a variety of error messages:

DirectShow: Unknown streaming error: 0xc00d0035
Real Player: Unable to establish a connection with the server.
Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files.

(If this is not possible, please stop me before i hurt myself...)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help: Streaming/Media Server
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 03:06:18 pm »

>> Is it possible to stream radio stations to
>> a remote computer on a LAN with Media Server?
yes, I just did it using MC 9.0.161 on a wireless home networked system.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 03:42:46 pm »

Thank you KingSparta.  I will keep trying.  Do you know what i'm doing wrong?  I've tried this at every build, and it always initiates the dialup on the remote.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 04:40:43 pm »

>> and it always initiates the dialup on the remote.
well that may happen to ask J river if it is ok to stream and to make sure that media server is not over 3 connections.

thats the way it did work before.

once it connected and get's the Ok it may no longer need the dialup connection
Fayetteville, NC, USA

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2003, 05:13:14 pm »

Please test something for me KingSparta.  Connect to the station on the remote.  Let it stream for a minute or two and then unplug the remote's modem.  I think you will find that the stream stops.  There is way too much activity on the remote modem to be anything but the full stream.  

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2003, 06:42:43 pm »

Thank you KingSparta.  I will keep trying.  Do you know what i'm doing wrong?  I've tried this at every build, and it always initiates the dialup on the remote.

Your network configuration may be messed up. How is the client (remote) receiving stuff from the server if it is not connected to the network? Does the client have more than one network connection?

j

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2003, 07:07:41 pm »

Thank you for looking at this John G.

It is a simple wireless LAN.  The server is a Win98 SE computer and is connected to the internet via satellite.  The remote computer is XP.  The network seems to function fine, i can browse, open, save to, delete via the network.  I can play music stored on the server via Media Server on the remote (w/out internet connection).  With Glissando i can play music on the server, controled by the remote.  I can even play streaming stations on the server via Glissando on the remote (as long as the stations are already in Playing Now).

I hate to screw with my LAN settings while it all works so well, but i will look there for problems.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 07:15:36 pm »

Try this: with the client playing music from the server (no internet radio stations), open Internet Explorer and visit the web page of your choice (www.mediajukebox.com is a good one). If it tries to dial out, this is the problem. If this is the case, let me know.

j

Pectate

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2003, 01:52:38 pm »

I cannot get any media player streams to work on my Tivo.  I have added them into playlists as described in other threads, but when navigating on Tivo in the playlists, I do not see the streams.  All of the streams work in MC on my PC.  I have checked my media server options, and I have enabled non-mp3 playback.  Lame is installed.  Anyone have any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2003, 01:59:34 pm »

I cannot get any media player streams to work on my Tivo.  I have added them into playlists as described in other threads, but when navigating on Tivo in the playlists, I do not see the streams.  All of the streams work in MC on my PC.  I have checked my media server options, and I have enabled non-mp3 playback.  Lame is installed.  Anyone have any ideas?

Version of MC is old, or type of stream (Real streams won't play, for example.  MP3 and WMA will).

Pectate

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2003, 02:10:17 pm »

I'm using media server version 1.0.169.  This is one of the streams that won't work with Tivo:

http://metahost.digisle.tv/espn/live/espnradio.asx

.asx will work right?

Thx.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2003, 03:02:44 pm »

I'm using media server version 1.0.169.  This is one of the streams that won't work with Tivo:

http://metahost.digisle.tv/espn/live/espnradio.asx

.asx will work right?

Thx.

i can't get it to work at all, just trying to stream

I even tried it in ms Media Player
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Pectate

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2003, 05:07:11 pm »

can someone please post a WM stream that definitely works for them on TIVO.  Thanks.

Pectate

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2003, 10:35:47 am »

bump

can anyone help?  thanks.

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2003, 10:53:20 am »

Try this: with the client playing music from the server (no internet radio stations), open Internet Explorer and visit the web page of your choice (www.mediajukebox.com is a good one). If it tries to dial out, this is the problem. If this is the case, let me know.

Yes, IE does (did) initiate a dialup.  So i changed the settings from "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" to "Never dial a connection". Trying to stream via Media Server no longer starts dialup on the client.  However streaming still does not work. (I tried other network tweaks, like disabling DHCP...)

The Properties/Filename of the stream, as seen from the client, is in the form:
Shouldn't the "address:port" of the server be appended to the link? (As with filename of an MP3: m01p://192.168.0.1:8080/G:\Elmore James\Elmore James - The Sky is Crying.mp3) The stream always does work if there is an internet connection on the client - but it's a direct stream through the client modem.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2003, 08:08:15 pm »

Hi Naven,

The first step is to decide how you want to configure your network. What you have now is:

a client with a LAN connection to a server, and the same client thinks it has a connection to the internet via a modem.

a server with a LAN connection to the client, and some sort of connection to the internet.

Your problem is that the client tries to directly access the internet when it plays a radio station (this is not a bug).

You need to hook your client up to the same internet connection that your server has, either via a hub or by making the server a gateway.

j

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2003, 08:46:32 pm »

Thanks John, but i have already decided how i want to configure my network.  The client is a notebook which goes with me whenever i leave (frequently), and is set up to quickly dialup from various locations.  

The rest of the time i don't intend for the client to connect, which is why i don't configure Internet Connection Sharing or a gateway. (The satellite service does not use a static IP, so a hub/router will not work.)

I trust your word that it is not a bug. But to be more precise, Media Server is not really designed to serve the stream, but simply to pass along the link. Correct?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2003, 07:46:16 am »

Correct.

My laptop has two internet connections: a wireless card and an ethernet link. I use either one depending on where I am. You should be able to do the same with yours.

j

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2003, 02:15:26 am »

Yes, of course i understand that i CAN have multiple internet connections.  It's a matter of choice. There are plenty of logically sound reasons one may choose not to allow certain nodes of a LAN to be directly tied to the internet at all. (e.g.; Sensitive data base, or in an unsupervised location, or restricted portal...)  

And as you know, many programs can handle internet traffic independent of the browser settings.  I was looking at Media Server along the lines of a proxy server. I now understand that the answer to my original question is NO. Media Server can not stream radio stations on a LAN.

Mine was a case of over-expectation. There is no bug.  
  • I urge JRiver to be careful not to over-state or mislead in documenting this release.
  • And lastly, please add Media Server/streaming to feature requests.

Thanks ..n

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2003, 05:41:17 am »

I was looking at Media Server along the lines of a proxy server.

I don't understand what you mean by that.

I now understand that the answer to my original question is NO. Media Server can not stream radio stations on a LAN.

Media Server can indeed stream a radio station.  Make a playlist with a radio station in it.  Start Media Server and share the library.  Connect to it from another PC and play the playlist.

I urge JRiver to be careful not to over-state or mislead in documenting this release.

Perhaps you might also be careful in what you say.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2003, 05:49:45 am »

can someone please post a WM stream that definitely works for them on TIVO.  Thanks.

http://www.npr.org/windowsmedia/newscast.asx

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2003, 06:14:03 am »

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2003, 09:21:26 am »

Media Server can indeed stream a radio station.  Make a playlist with a radio station in it.  Start Media Server and share the library.  Connect to it from another PC and play the playlist.

That seems to contradict John's statement above that Naven was "correct."

FWIW, iF MC really can stream to Tivo it would seem to me that YOU are correct and John must have misunderstood Naven's question.

dmets

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2003, 09:42:29 am »

I don't have the most current build - but 161 (IIRC) does infact allow radio stations to stream to a TiVo.  

I do have a problem with some stations that do not give a direct stream URL - but use Adinsertion or other service to 'wrap' the stream around a web browser interface...

Anyone able to stream those stations?  I have been able to stream both MP3 and windows media stations to my TiVo!    

I do wish that I could have MC buffer the content for 10 seconds or so...   Then there would be no stutters/drop outs.    

But it works now - and that rocks!!!!

Dustin Mets

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2003, 02:30:55 pm »

Disclaimer: My comments should not be mistaken for MC bashing.  I remain an UNabashed fan of Media Center. I have great respect and appreciation for the team behind MC, and I have enjoyed the BETA process. Media Center is a great program at the perfect price.

nrj:  I was looking at Media Server along the lines of a proxy server.
JimH:  I don't understand what you mean by that.

This screen shot may shed light:

JimH:  Media Server can indeed stream a radio station.  Make a playlist with a radio station in it.  Start Media Server and share the library.  Connect to it from another PC and play the playlist.

Yes, as i have already acknowledged, click the link and radio will play.  But Media Server is passing the link, not streaming.  This was acknowledged by John G. above, and can be demonstrated:
  • Start the stream on the "client".  Then close MC and Media Server on the "server". The stream streams, but MS sleeps.
  • Put the link in a playlist and run Media Server on a computer with no internet connection.  From any computer that does have an internet connection, open that link. Once the station is streaming, turn off the first computer.
  • Create a new shortcut (mms://somestation...) on any computer. Be sure MC and MServer are not running. Click on that shortcut from any other computer. The radio station plays, streaming from any available internet connection.  (This works with WinMP. MC seems to want to download 5 hours worth before playing.)

JimH, please understand that i am not being critical. It's nice that i can play a link saved on another computer. I am using that feature as i write. But there is an important distinction between that and serving a stream. I am only trying to point out that distinction. From the discussions, it is my impression that the stream is being served to TIVO.  But i maintain that MS does not serve stations to another computer.

peace  ..n

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2003, 08:09:04 am »

If you add a radio station to a Media Center library and you then start Media Server, here is what happens.

If you use Media Center as the client, MC will open the stream directly.

If you use a TiVo as the client, the TiVo gets the stream from Media Server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up