INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist/Smartlist question: can you change the starting point of a smartlist?  (Read 452 times)

Saucepan

• Junior Woodchuck

Say I have a smartlist that creates 10 songs in a specific order, through the rules/modifiers I have set up:

1. starts here
10. ends here

Easy enough.

But is there a way to make a smartlist start from a random point in that same smartlist, and then wrap around to finish it out? Such as:

5. starting here, randomly
4. ending here

Does that make sense? Thanks in advance for you comments.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

As you probably know, randomizing a smartlist is quite easy.  But that's not what you're asking for.  You're asking for a rotation of an ordered list.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think MC can do that.  Maybe someone else has a clever idea.

After looking at this, I came up with one weird idea:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlists

You might be able to do something like:

A:  ordered smartlist that you have.
B:  smartlist that uses A as a base and takes the first N tracks
C:  smartlist that uses A as a base and takes the last T -N tracks, where T is the number of tracks
D:  A smartlist that sequentially combines C and B together.

The problem for me is I'm not sure how to pass a random N to TWO lists and have it be the same number both times.  I think you would get two different random numbers for B and C, thus making it not work.  Maybe you can read through the link above and play around.

Good luck!

Brian.

Saucepan

• Junior Woodchuck

Thank you for that reply. I'll tinker around with it.

I came up with a workaround:

1. turn on Repeat Playing Now
2. right click the smartlist in question, select More Play Options / Play (shuffled)
3. switch over to Playing Now / Player
4. select the column that I wanted to sort. In this case it's a field I created, that happens to be numbered. So, it's easy in this case. Anyway, selecting the column creates the new sequence. Playing Now will now wrap around and play all the files in the order I wanted. It just now starts in a random spot.

Thank you again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up