INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate files after import  (Read 1779 times)

billF

• Recent member
Duplicate files after import
« on: February 28, 2020, 02:51:55 pm »

I've put hours in here getting things organized and looking pretty good.  I've been using Genres to find and play files since that seems to be the way sorting is done in the MC.  Maybe that's what everyone does - no way for me to know.
 When I first imported 80 or so test albums I ended up with a long list of "unassigned" that were loading as one album with a ton of files.  Last night I decided to delete all that and import the missing albums one at a time.  This seemed to go well but today I started to work on things and found every album has been quadrupled (3 to 5 copies of every file).  My Genres are a mess of individual files all with the same cover art repeated as many as 40 across the display.

Is MC26 this unstable or have I somehow tripped a disaster switch?  Thanks for any advice.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Duplicate files
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:56:49 pm »

Why not just restore a backup? MC makes them automatically.

You may actually have duplicate files.

MC26 is quite stable.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Duplicate files after import
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:54:52 pm »

Don't delete and re-import stuff. It won't fix anything.

You probably have tags for Albums that need fixing. That is how you fix such issues in MC; get the tags correct.

You need to learn about Views and Smartlists in MC. You do not need to find tracks using only Genre at all. Views and Smartlists, and simple searches, allow you to find tracks any way you like, as long as the files have the tags (or values in MC fields) required to find them. i.e. You couldn't find track by Composer if you don't have any values in the Composer field.

What do you mean by:
I've put hours in here getting things organized and looking pretty good.

Have you organised your music using folders, and it is the folder structure that looks good now?

Did you move stuff around outside MC after importing your music? That is probably why you have duplicates.

Do all the duplicate tracks play, or does only one version play?
Is there a Red Icon with a white line through it next to some of the duplicates, rather than an icon of the Cover Art? something like this?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up