INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 26 volume control doesn't work: USB connect from Mac Mini to amp  (Read 3404 times)

LouisThe

• Recent member

Mac Mini late 2014
OS Sierra 10.12.6

2.6 Intel Core i5
8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Playing Media Center 26.0.29

Connected to SimAudio 240i integrated amp via USB

Media Center plays fine but defers to the integrated amp for volume control: that is, when using Media Center, the volume controls on the Mac Mini don’t work—neither the system’s sound volume control nor the MC 26 volume control.

I also play music through Apple Music, Pure Vinyl and out of my Safari browser: for all of these, the volume control in the app  works to control volume using the exact same set up as for Media Center. For this set up, I cannot get Media Center 26 to do what every other app can do.

If I connect my MacMini to the 240i via the headphone port on the macmini to the media input on the 240i, the volume control on Media Center works fine: can anyone help me to be able to control volume via the MediaCenter 26 volume control while sending music to my integrated amp through the USB connection?

Thanks very much

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Try Internal Volume.  It's 64-bit so as good as it gets.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LouisThe

• Recent member

Thanks, Matt: no luck though- what I did do is go into system preferences-sound-under  device for output, 2  items are listed 1. internal speakers (built in) and 2. Moon USB DSD HD Audio. Preferences will not allow me to select Moon USB, or more accurately, will allow me to select it, but within seconds, leaves it to return to "Built In" with no control given to the USB. If I shut down Media Center 26, preferences immediately selects USB and gives me volume control on the computer for Apple Music, Safari and Pure Vinyl: so something happens when I launch Media Center 26 that prevents the Mac Mini from accessing USB. Now I should say that, in MC 26, under Playback Options, Audio device shows the Moon USB DSD etc. So, it appears that something in MC 26 is preventing the Mac Mini's preferences from  choosing USB in the preferences and from giving volume control to MC 26.

LouisThe

• Recent member

I should be clearer: it appears that something in MC  26 is preventing the Mac Mini's sound preferences from selecting the USB connection for the purposes of volume control: in MC 26, the music is still travelling by USB to the integrated amp-- but when MC 26 is launched, preferences will not allow me to select the USB port to give the Mini, and hence MC 26 (apparently) volume control:

blgentry

There are a few settings that will probably help you with this. 

1.  Exclusive access.  This setting makes MC "own" the audio device while it's in use. No other programs are allowed to touch it while MC has it.  You can turn that off here:
Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device settings > Device > Open with exclusive access > (uncheck to turn off)
2.  It sounds like you want to use the Mac's sound controls to turn the volume up and down.  The keyboard controls, the slider in the audio device at the top of the screen, etc.  If that's what you want, try #1 first.  If that doesn't work, then you probably want to turn on System Volume mode.  That makes MC use the OS (mac OS) volume controls:
Tools > Options > Audio > Volume > Volume Mode > System Volume
3.  Yet another option with Volume is to have MC use the Media Keys on your keyboard.  But in this case, MC "listens to" the media keys, as opposed to using System Volume.  You can control Media Key settings here:
Tools > Options > General > Advanced > Media Key Mode > (experiment with the options here)

Hopefully #1 or #2 sorts out your issue.
Good luck!

Brian.

LouisThe

• Recent member

Thanks Brian: very much appreciate your suggestions: i won't be able to test them until next week, (as relevant equipment has been moved temporarily), but will do so when I can and let you know how it works out.

thanks again

LouisThe

• Recent member

Hi Brian --and Matt :)

Brian I tried all your suggestions -- nothing worked- I went back to Matt's suggestion of trying internal volume and found that internal volume gave me some volume if I turned volume up as high as it can go. And then only very minimal volume adjustment.

thanks both of you for your efforts- it appears that if I use the USB port to connect my mac mini music  to my external integrated stereo amplifier, then I'll have to use the volume  control on the amplifier and not the more convenient  controls on the computer.

Cheers

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Internal Volume ranges from full volume to silence.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I'm not a Mac guy so Brian can correct me without worrying about hurting my feelings.  ;D

A. The Mac Mini's preferences don't need to choose the Moon USB DSD HD Audio. You just need to set MC to use it in "Options > Audio > Audio Device". MC will only use the system preferences when it is set to play to the default audio device. Otherwise, it plays to the Audio Device it is set to play to, ignoring the System Preferences setting. By all means, set the System Preferences to the Moon USB DSD HD Audio/SimAudio 240i integrated amp when MC isn't running, so it is used at that time.
EDIT: I am assuming that the SimAudio 240i integrated amp presents as Moon USB DSD HD Audio in the Mac preferences, and also in MC. If not, please clarify. But what you want to do is select the SimAudio 240i integrated amp as the output device in MC.
B. Use Internal Volume.
C. Have MC maximize System Volume when playing from MC, so that it doesn't affect Internal Volume's control. "Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Maximize device volume during playback".
D. I set the Startup Volume to 80% and the Maximum Volume to 100% in "Options > Audio > Volume". I also set the Internal volume reference level to 80%, which is just my preference.
E. With those settings in place, use the physical volume control on the SimAudio 240i integrated amp to set a comfortable listening level, and thereafter use MC's Internal Volume control.

I would recommend leaving Audio in Exclusive Mode, and just don't run MC at the same time as Apple Music, Safari or Pure Vinyl. Without MC running you will be able to play to the SimAudio 240i integrated amp.

Again, corrections welcome.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

LouisThe

• Recent member

Hi Matt and Roderick:

Thanks for your information.

Matt -- in this set up, internal volume ranged from silence to very little volume: set at the maximum level, using internal volume, the volume was less than 10% of what I was getting if I gave up trying to control volume through MC, and just left it.

Roderick: I'm again on a hiatus from the 240i: I've been "test driving" it: I want to buy it, but I also want to use Media Center with it and so, I get it from the shop for a "test drive" but then have to return after a couple of days. This is all by way of saying, I won't be able to try out your suggestions until I can get the unit back, closer to the end of the month: but I fully expect that I will do that and will then report back.

Thanks again folks: I'm pretty thrilled that there is such great support in this forum. I'll get back to you. Cheers

blax

There are a few settings that will probably help you with this. 

1.  Exclusive access.  This setting makes MC "own" the audio device while it's in use. No other programs are allowed to touch it while MC has it.  You can turn that off here:
Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device settings > Device > Open with exclusive access > (uncheck to turn off)
2.  It sounds like you want to use the Mac's sound controls to turn the volume up and down.  The keyboard controls, the slider in the audio device at the top of the screen, etc.  If that's what you want, try #1 first.  If that doesn't work, then you probably want to turn on System Volume mode.  That makes MC use the OS (mac OS) volume controls:
Tools > Options > Audio > Volume > Volume Mode > System Volume
3.  Yet another option with Volume is to have MC use the Media Keys on your keyboard.  But in this case, MC "listens to" the media keys, as opposed to using System Volume.  You can control Media Key settings here:
Tools > Options > General > Advanced > Media Key Mode > (experiment with the options here)

Hopefully #1 or #2 sorts out your issue.
Good luck!

Brian.

Option 1 Worked for me today! I'm in MC 24 USB connected to a B&W Zeppelin Air and Mac mini 2018.

Thanks for this ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up