INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

JimH wants me to rename MCRatings to remove "MC". What's your preference?

JStream or JLake - hey, it's not JRiver
MultiChannelRatings (could be abbreviated somehow...)
EZRatings or EZUpdater - boring, but to the point
Keep MCRatings - plenty of tools starting with MC out there
Other - please let me know

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: MCRatings v3.0 released  (Read 15803 times)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MCRatings v3.0 released
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2020, 11:12:08 am »

Arcspin, thanks for the logs. This time it looks like you have an extra space at the end of the Save Actors path:
Code: [Select]
17:12:13.348  Process  8664 Executing PP command: c:\scripts\caption.bat "H:\JRiver\actors\D \Douglas Rain [HAL 9000 (voice)].png" "Douglas Rain" "HAL 9000 (voice)" CAST
magick: unable to open image 'H:\JRiver\actors\D \Douglas Rain [HAL 9000 (voice)].png': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/3496.

Note the space after the D:
"\actors\D \Douglas..."
. Please check and remove any space at the end of your save location:
"H:\JRiver\actors\$name[0]"
I'll add a Trim() to remove extra spaces on next release, as folders paths cannot end in spaces.

I hope this works for you now :)

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2020, 11:18:52 am »

TADA!  ;D

It works!

Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2020, 12:02:01 pm »

What is the best way to start fresh.
I have only made some trial and error (regarding pictures) changes with MCRatings up until this new update.

Is the easiest way of again importing pictures of Actors/Directors to simply delete all the pictures in my A-Z folders and then "GET MOVIE INFO" again?

Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2020, 12:06:27 pm »

Yes, that's the simplest way.
Depending on how many movies you have and how fast is your PC, the Magick post-processing might take a long time. Hopefully once you do this once, you won't need to do it again - MCR knows when a file is already processed.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2020, 12:12:39 pm »

Great, the weekend is booked for this endeavor!

One thing I have been thinking of is how often we should update the IMDB, TMDB, ROTTEN TOMATO and METACRITIC fields.
I mean the scores will change over time and to best reflect this would be to import new scores perhaps once per year or more often?

Is there a way in MCRatings to only GET and update critics ratings?
This could be a request for a future update.

Edit: I think I already know the answer because MCR only updates fields that have changed, it is as simple as doing another GET a year from now.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2020, 01:13:24 pm »

Right, MCR only updates changed fields. Even so, I also think some additional options to "get only X/Y/Z" columns might be useful.
You can do something like that now by doing GET and then Revert all unwanted columns, but that's awkward to do.

Personally I like to update all data more often, perhaps once a month - TMDb is crowdsourced and has thousands of daily updates, not only to Ratings but to most of the other fields. Corrections to actor lists, updated trailers, better plot descriptions, etc. With actor images, it's also good to check once in a while to see if an Actor now has a profile picture - MCR replaces the placeholder with the new picture when available.

wer

« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2020, 01:23:17 pm »

If he wants to update only specific fields, he could just turn off the overwrite option for the other fields in settings.

What I think would be more useful is an override for that, so that you could right-click a field and force an overwrite for that row/field even though overwrite is turned off in options.

This is most useful with something like the poster, where there are multiple choices.  I rarely want the default poster that tmdb offers.

It also might be useful to be able to right-click on a row to delete the actor photos for that row; they can be a little tedious to find by hand.

But I think you have much more important things to work on, Zybex. :). <wink wink hint hint>

Also, I tried the new version and everything works great with the photos!  Thanks!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2020, 02:30:19 pm »

It also might be useful to be able to right-click on a row to delete the actor photos for that row; they can be a little tedious to find by hand.
Good idea.

... update only specific fields ... bla bla bla ... force an overwrite ... mumble mumble ... multiple choices ...
So, perhaps something like this? ;D

wer

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2020, 03:18:12 pm »

Not sure.  I'm having trouble seeing how that dialog is significantly different from what we already have.

Every column is a field, and every field already has a default to either overwrite or not.

What I proposed is being able to right-click on one cell, and force that one cell to overwrite the data in MC just that one time, regardless of settings.  So for example I could force an overwrite of the poster for 2001, while all the other movies behave according to settings.

That dialog seems to give you the ability to selectively RETRIEVE data.  Yes that could achieve the same result as what I describe, but I think it would more confusing.  When writing to MC, you'd have overwrite enabled, either globally or per column according to settings, and then you'd have to make sure you updated just the column you want.  I think that's more clicks, and more confusing.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2020, 03:37:46 pm »

Hmm. The idea was that you still get all the current functionality when you press the regular GET button, but you would also have this new (optional) dialog, accessed via some other way, to customize exactly what you want to get (overriding Settings).

This would allow you to update just the Ratings columns of all selected movies in one go, for instance.
What you propose can also be done with a right click on a cell, but then it only updates that single cell of that single movie.

Note that all this is before any Saving to MC takes place. All these options still only update the datagrid (changing colors to green/orange), and data is only saved to MC when you click the save button. There's no "instant save", though I also see that it would be nice to save things one by one as you review them.

wer

« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2020, 04:00:44 pm »

To me, that seems more confusing.  I think it's more straightforward for MCR to always get the data as specified in the main settings.  Let's call that "all data" for simplicity.

I think it's also more straightforward, once you're seeing current "all data" in the MCR screen, for you to be able to select what is pushed to MC.  In other words, place your restrictions on the output side, not the input side.

One thing I've noticed, the colors in the grid do not always match reality and the understanding of the description in the docs.  For example, with posters.  If overwrite is disabled on posters, I always see green text on a white background for posters.  But your docs say this:
"green text indicates that the current value is the same as returned from OMDb/TMDb (confirmed)"

But that's not the reality.  In reality the offered poster from tmdb is at a totally different resolution than my 667x1000 poster, but I still see 667x1000 as green text on white.  But Green on white is supposed to mean confirmed, and in fact the data is NOT confirmed. If I turn on overwrite for that field, and get movie info again, only then does MCR acknowledge that there is a different poster available.  Then the field shows orange.

I think perhaps that behavior needs to change, or maybe a new color is needed.  I think MCR should always retrieve data for all fields that are enabled, whether overwrite is enabled or not.  It should then give visual indication that new data is available for a cell, but that it will not be used because overwrite is disabled. (There does not seem to be a color defined that meets that condition.)  And then when you do push to MC, that new data is not written.  To me, that's what disabling overwrite means.  MCR seems to use it as "ignore this field" which means you don't know if there's an update available for a cell if overwrite is disabled for that field.  I think that's bad.

Is what I'm saying making sense?

Also just to be clear, I was not suggesting an "instant save", merely a per-cell override that is executed when "Save to JRiver" is clicked.

I do also think there would be value in having "Save to JRiver" respect the check boxes, so that you could update only certain movies if you want.  I achieve this now by putting the movies I want to update on their own MCRatings playlist.  That's fine, but perhaps not as convenient as being able to selectively update from the full list.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2020, 04:20:43 pm »

I think it's also more straightforward, once you're seeing current "all data" in the MCR screen, for you to be able to select what is pushed to MC.  In other words, place your restrictions on the output side, not the input side.
No, that's not MCR's philosophy. It gets data, shows what WILL be saved, allows you to REVERT changes you don't want, then SAVE pushes the remaining ones (highlighted) to JRiver.

If overwrite is disabled on posters, I always see green text on a white background for posters.  But your docs say this:
"green text indicates that the current value is the same as returned from OMDb/TMDb (confirmed)"
True, the colors in Posters behave slightly different. That's because it's comparing your current resolution with the best resolution available from TMDb. If what you have is same/better than TMDb, then it shows "confirmed" color, even if the poster is not the same. It's not trivial to actually compare your current poster with the one suggested by TMDb to check if they're actually the same poster, so MCR only compares resolutions.
For posters, Orange means that there's one with higher resolution available.

To me, that's what disabling overwrite means.  MCR seems to use it as "ignore this field" which means you don't know if there's an update available for a cell if overwrite is disabled for that field.  I think that's bad.
Well, think about it. What you're saying is that you want an indication that new data is available so that you can then chose if you want it or not. But... isn't that what happens when you turn Overwrite on? It shows you a color when there's new data, you can see the new and previous data on the cell tooltip, and then you can chose to SAVE or REVERT it.

I do also think there would be value in having "Save to JRiver" respect the check boxes
Me too, I've had this functionality before and disabled it for some reason. I might put it back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

wer

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »

Well, think about it. What you're saying is that you want an indication that new data is available so that you can then chose if you want it or not. But... isn't that what happens when you turn Overwrite on? It shows you a color when there's new data, and then you can chose to SAVE or REVERT it.

I think it comes down to management by exception, and which is the more common action.

The first time you run MCR, you want it to load in all this new data you didn't have before, so lots of overwriting.

But after you've loaded your initial data, you make tweaks in MC.  You have posters you don't want overwritten, for example. Or you make changes to the order of the actors field so that silhouette pictures come later.

Now you're in maintenance mode.  Now overwrites become the exception rather than the rule.  Mostly you want your existing data preserved.  There are two ways of dealing with this in MCR: change the overwrite default, but now you will never be notified of updated data, or leave it enabled but you have to revert a bunch of fields, which is  lot of clicks.

Yes you can lock fields, but then you also do not get notified of an available update.

You said "For posters, Orange means that there's one with higher resolution available." 
Except that does not work if overwrite is disabled.  And it's not just posters, it's all  fields.

If overwrite is disabled, or if a field is locked, you get zero notification as to new data, no matter what field it is.  That's bad, so I think there should be a color for that.

What would be best is if there is new data available for a field that has overwrite disabled (or is locked) then you get some notification... maybe it blinks.  And then you could right click on it and click "Accept new data anyway".

Locked fields are hard to spot.  It would be nice if you could filter for them.  There are so many cells in a row, and so many rows, that being able to filter by condition (locked cells, changed cells, cells where new data is available but inhibited) would be very helpful.

Bottom line is that what I'm calling maintenance mode, management by exception, where changing an existing value is only sometimes desired, is a pain in MCR, because you essentially cannot do it unless overwrite is enabled for all fields.  So then you have to lock, or do a whole bunch of reverts.

Think about it in a similar way to software updates. If a user's policy is "I always want to be notified when new updates are available, but my default position is not to take them."  That can't be done in MCR, because to get the notification overwrites must be on.  And because you can't selectively push to MC, you must explicitly reject the 99 updates you don't want, instead of accepting the one you do.  That's the opposite default from what you want.

It just makes some modes of use more difficult than they need to be.  An additional color code to indicate an update is available but inhibited would be helpful in mitigating, as would selective writes to MC.

Thanks...

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2020, 06:21:17 am »

Locked fields are hard to spot.  It would be nice if you could filter for them.
Select->Criteria...->With Locked Fields

I understand your position, and it has merits. I may implement some of the features you describe over time, but it may have to wait until I rework the datagrid code/functionality (long term plans). Meanwhile I'll add selective Save and easier ways to fetch only a few columns. I often find that an option "discard all except this column" would help my workflow - I often focus on updating a single field for all movies - so I'll probably add that too.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2020, 08:12:42 am »

So, perhaps something like this? ;D

Hi,
Exactly, this is what I was asking for.

A straightforward and visual way of only selecting to update for examples ratings, description, or actors/crew pictures and nothing else.
I'm always cautious when batch editing my movies in fear of something going wrong with a large dataset.
This way I could take comfort in that there will only be changes regarding for examples ratings and nothing else.
Stay safe,

//arcspin

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2020, 03:34:52 am »

Hi zybex!
Wer's Tom Skerritt in other thread looks really old for a man chasing some aliens so would you consider implementing image fetching using search engine image search for actor+year or rolename+actor or something like that. I guess it would also require ability to crop into a frame in order align image correctly.

I realize that this is a bit different than just fetching images from tmdb but while waiting for tmdb to get character image system up (if ever) this would make immersion a lot better when you could see young Arnold as a terminator.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2020, 04:07:07 am »

would you consider implementing image fetching using search engine image search for actor+year or rolename+actor or something like that. I guess it would also require ability to crop into a frame in order align image correctly.
This would take some time to implement. I'm short of that right now, let's see if/when it happens. No promises.

you could see young Arnold as a terminator.
He's an exterminator now :P

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2020, 04:58:16 am »

He's an exterminator now :P
But the determination is still there. 

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2020, 01:15:05 pm »

OOOh man, I've been working the entire day downloading actors/crew pictures and at the same time went over all the movie posters for every movie I have.
I also did change the color of the actors role and crew titles before I started and ended up with using the color "gold" for actor role in non italic and the color "limegreen" for crew.

I went with 100 movies at a time so not to jinx the computer and I must say that the movie poster functionality in MCR is just awesome!
I have found so many great movie posters that I have selected and my Theater view looks better than ever.

I mean who doesn't love uniformity in a movies series like in the attached screenshot...

Many thanks zybex for this latest release, much appreciated!!!

Take care and have a great weekend y'all,

//arcspin

deanpref

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2020, 10:50:19 am »

OOOh man, I've been working the entire day downloading actors/crew pictures and at the same time went over all the movie posters for every movie I have.
I also did change the color of the actors role and crew titles before I started and ended up with using the color "gold" for actor role in non italic and the color "limegreen" for crew.

I went with 100 movies at a time so not to jinx the computer and I must say that the movie poster functionality in MCR is just awesome!
I have found so many great movie posters that I have selected and my Theater view looks better than ever.

I mean who doesn't love uniformity in a movies series like in the attached screenshot...

Many thanks zybex for this latest release, much appreciated!!!

Take care and have a great weekend y'all,

//arcspin

Hey, can you tell me which skins do you use for the theater view ?

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2020, 11:10:49 am »

Hi,
The skin is called Obsidian and can be found in Tools/Options/Theater View and Skin: Obsidian

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2020, 11:10:47 pm »

@Zybex

Hi,
When I "Get Movie Info" with MCRatings the Studios field is not updated.
Can there be something that has changed back at OMDb that causes the Studios field not to update.
(For me it has been like this for some times and not only for this movie)

Best regards,

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2020, 05:38:45 am »

Hey Arcspin,
Looks like it's just missing for that movie and many others. It's listed as "Production": "N/A", which MCRatings ignores. They might have purged their DB for some reason, I see it missing for many movies which did have a value before.

I guess I can enable the option to get it from TMDb instead. The reason I didn't do that is because while OMDb usually provides only 1 studio/producer (the main one), TMDb provides a list of them and it's not clear which one is the main one. For instance for Baby Driver (tt3890160):

OMDb:
   "Production": "Sony Pictures",

TMDb:
  "production_companies": [
    {
      "id": 559,
      "logo_path": "\/eC0bWHVjnjUducyA6YFoEFqnPMC.png",
      "name": "TriStar Pictures",
      "origin_country": "US"
    },
    {
      "id": 443,
      "logo_path": "\/deewJi8ncCh6Sc2STL91wvZ4O5X.png",
      "name": "Big Talk Productions",
      "origin_country": "GB"
    },
    {
      "id": 2531,
      "logo_path": "\/pC2iDCDCvV85vOBP7a5Ukxuc0Du.png",
      "name": "MRC",
    },
    {
      "id": 10163,
      "logo_path": "\/16KWBMmfPX0aJzDExDrPxSLj0Pg.png",
      "name": "Working Title Films",
      "origin_country": "GB"
    },
    {
      "id": 34,
      "logo_path": "\/GagSvqWlyPdkFHMfQ3pNq6ix9P.png",
      "name": "Sony Pictures",
    }
  ],

So here it would result in a list of 5 studios where the last one is the one that OMDb considers the most important. Not sure if that's preferable, but I can add the selector in Settings, then it's your choice.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2020, 06:01:11 am »

If you take IMDB as more of an authority on that, they don't even list Sony directly (but of course Sony owns TriStar Pictures). Sony Pictures is the main distributor, while TriStar was the main production company.

No idea if there is some sort of sensible ordering to the TMDb results, but many movies are made by a partnership of at least two studio (in this case TriStar + MRC), and just mentioning one might not be really accurate.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2020, 06:17:18 am »

It looks like there's a pattern... OMDb mostly had the main Distributor company listed as Production, and they've now cleaned it up. TMDb lists the same/similar companies as IMDb.

For instance, for https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298203/companycredits, OMDb had "Universal Pictures" and now is blank, but TMDb has the same 2 listed on IMDb.

I'll enable the TMDb option.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2020, 06:54:22 am »

Great!
Glad it wasn't anything wrong at my end, so to speak.

Yeah, letīs try out the TMDb option and see if that floods that field with a lot of studio names or not.

Thank you,

//arcspin

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2020, 07:44:56 am »

It sure does :)

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2020, 12:44:00 pm »

Yikees, thats a lot of studios for a single movie.

Guess i have to start to filter out and only show 2 or 3 studios in theater view.
To bad I don't know which studio is the main studio.

Anyways, lets try it and see how it goes.
Perhaps OMDb will come to its senses and bring back the "one studio" approach.

wer

« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2020, 02:32:14 pm »

They're not studios, they're fake studios.

It seems practically every producer in Hollywood has incorporated his own "studio" so he can have a vanity card to display before the opening titles.  I've seen movies that had 10 different vanity logos, many of them animated, roll before the opening titles.  It went on for minutes.  It's absurd, really.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2020, 02:17:48 pm »

Thanks zybex for the update.

The studios part works fine and I have set a cap of two studios to be shown in Theater view.

Take care,

//arcspin

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2020, 02:19:30 pm »

Hi,
I've released v3.2 - please check the announcement thread here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125575.0.html

At JRiver's request, the tool is now called ZRatings.

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2020, 07:32:56 am »

ZRatings works great and has been a big help to me.  There are many photos that are not available and I would like to add in their official photo rather than their silhouette.

I've downloaded about 50 pictures and can get them to work one by one by for example typing the following line on a Warren Zevon picture

caption.bat "warren zevon.png" "Warren Zevon"

I can't get it work by for all of the files at once (example caption.bat *.png *) using the standard caption.bat arg1 arg2

Is there an easy way to this without manually typing in picture by picture

Thanks
Matt

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2020, 08:25:33 am »

Several ways... here's one, assuming you have all PNGs in same folder and with correct names:
forfiles /m *.png /c "cmd /c caption.bat @file @fname"

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2020, 01:21:15 pm »

Several ways... here's one, assuming you have all PNGs in same folder and with correct names:
forfiles /m *.png /c "cmd /c caption.bat @file @fname"

Thanks that worked - I put all of my downloaded files in one directory and then ran the following

forfiles /m *.png /c "cmd /c c:\scripts\caption.bat @file @fname"

and it all worked.  Thanks as I don't think I would have figured it out !!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up