INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver - UI completely stops for 30 seconds if UNC path is not available.  (Read 1321 times)

AlexS

• World Citizen

I've asked this before when I was using an older version. Now I have 26.0.30 (64 bit) I'm asking again.

All my FLAC files are on my server via UNC path, \\192.168.1.3\Audio\Whatever.
MC is installed on my local Windows 10 machine.

Startup works quickly if the I have the server on.
When it is off I have to wait 30 seconds or so for a timeout.

How can I stop this startup delay with the server off situation? I would expect JRiver to "lazy load" this files in a seperate process so I can get on with something else. I wouldn't expect everything to stop functioning waiting for a timeout.
Another issue is if I click on any of these music files that aren't online the whole UI stops for thirty seconds again until timeout (giving a correct error message "The file cannot be found"), I can't get on with something else.

Use case:
I often use JRiver to play local media files on my machine and don't want to play files on my server. I often have the media server off.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I think it's the statusbar checking if the file is there.

Try making a registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 26\Properties\StatuBar Rule

And just set it to [Name].

Note I'll fix the spelling in a coming build (mistake that there's no s).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AlexS

• World Citizen

OK, please see attached with what I did.
Added to 26.0.30 (64 bit).

Thanks..

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

OK, please see attached with what I did.
Added to 26.0.30 (64 bit).

Thanks..

And did that speed you up?

Note that you'll be able to right-click the Statusbar to customize in a coming build.

AlexS

• World Citizen

Startup - I think it works, not fully tested but I've done the best I can so far.

However if I click on a FLAC file that is offline, the whole UI still freezes for 30 seconds or so waiting for a timeout.

Thanks...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Startup - I think it works, not fully tested but I've done the best I can so far.

However if I click on a FLAC file that is offline, the whole UI still freezes for 30 seconds or so waiting for a timeout.

Thanks...

You mean to start playback (so double-click)?

A single click I wouldn't expect to be slow anymore.

Thanks.

AlexS

• World Citizen

Yup start playback, I wouldn't expect the UI to fully freeze here. At the very least some sort of "Please wait" thing, although a separate process to stop freezing would be of course desirable.

Occasionally it's still taking a long time to exit, although it's hard to tell if it's related. I'm running an i9-9900K here so it should hardly be any delay.

jkauff

• World Citizen

Are you sure you have no sleeping drives in your NAS? I have the same problem with the one external drive I have that I can't turn sleep mode off. Spin-up can freeze MC26.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I'm back with some more.

This option:
Options > Tree & View > Advanced > Display missing file image in lists

Will now be used in the thread that checks file existence.  So turn that option off in a coming build, and there will no longer be a lag on shutdown.

The history:
Changed: "Tree & View > Advanced > Display missing file image in lists" will now be used in the thread that checks file existence (to avoid shutdown lags, etc.).

AlexS

• World Citizen

Still running 26.0.30 so I guess I will await the next stable release via auto-update, I presume it's a release after 26.0.35.
So basically if it's offline we won't get images displayed now on files if that setting is off? Wouldn't it be better to have a seperate setting (I have no idea btw just asking).

I presume the freezing of the UI when playback of offline file happens hasn't been fixed yet (I assume it's still on the todo list).

thanks for being on this..

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Playing probably has to try loading the file which will be slow.  It should be threaded so you can still use the program for other things.

AlexS

• World Citizen

Hi

Lag on startup is now fixed (26.0.80 - 64 bit).

1) Start JRiver and press play to play a non existant file. 30 second pause until we get something wrong with playback/file not found (which is by design). IMHO this really should be threaded so we can do something else or even cancel this operation.

2) Same issue as (1) when selecting a track that has gone offline. I've also had an "application has stopped responding" error from Windows which goes away after the timeout.

3) In regards to (1) + (2) the pause does not happen the second or third time you do this.

4) "This option: Options > Tree & View > Advanced > Display missing file image in lists. Will now be used in the thread that checks file existence.  So turn that option off in a coming build, and there will no longer be a lag on shutdown." - With this option enabled often I don't get a lag on shutdown! Occasionally though I do. Would be nice to have this enabled and not have a lag on shutdown.

Thanks!

AlexS

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver - UI completely stops for 30 seconds if UNC path is not available.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 10:38:33 am »

I think it's the statusbar checking if the file is there.

Try making a registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 26\Properties\StatuBar Rule

And just set it to [Name].

Note I'll fix the spelling in a coming build (mistake that there's no s).

I just revisted this and this registry entry is still in there with the typo. Should I correct it at my end?
Thanks...
(MC 26.0.107)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: JRiver - UI completely stops for 30 seconds if UNC path is not available.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 10:47:57 am »

I just revisted this and this registry entry is still in there with the typo. Should I correct it at my end?
Thanks...
(MC 26.0.107)

We didn't erase the typo key, but we won't use it any longer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up