INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV audio gets out of sync on one computer only???  (Read 757 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
MKV audio gets out of sync on one computer only???
« on: March 25, 2020, 08:44:58 pm »

A movie that I have watched several times before on MC (latest version 25) is now our of sync on my newest AV computer. It is a core i5-4590T that I just set up, and it has a local copy of the file. The MKV file's audio gets out of sync within a few seconds of playing. If I stop (not pause) and start again at a different spot, audio is fine but gets off within a few seconds again. I have played the files on my main computer (perfect) and streaming through Gizmo to my tablet (also perfect). The main computer also has its own local copy of the file. The tablet streamed through Gizmo from my main computer.

Why is it messing up on this one computer? It has a fresh Windows 10 load, and I haven't noticed it on any other videos, although I've only had it running for a few days. I had an old Zotac Zbox that was the AV computer and never had this happen on it. All the files are on an external HD that I simply moved to the new computer, along with a backed up library that I imported.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MKV audio gets out of sync on one computer only???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 11:22:42 pm »

Your display refresh rate might not be matching the framerate of the video during playback.

Check the actual framerate of the MKV file, and check your Display Settings in the Video tab of JRiver Options.

You might also try turning on the VideoClock option (same page).

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:38:32 am »

Check if SOX resampling is enabled. SOX sometimes overwhelms my cpu and causes similar issue.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 03:50:11 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, no luck. Some new info: this only happens with (some) MKV files. All MPG and MP4 work perfectly. I have combos of DVD (480) and HD (1080) in all 3 formats, and only some of the MKVs (both types) do this. To further complicate matters, I have tried these movies on 3 different computers in MC 25 and the only problem I have is with my new i5 setup.

Another note: on the i5 computer I can use VLC and every problematic MKV plays perfectly. I have checked MC settings on these computers and they are all the same. For example, Sox is unchecked on all (and I tried checking it on i5), Red October is selected (and I tried custom), VideoClock is the same, etc.

I have a suspicion that handbrake is the culprit. I don't have a log of which files I rendered with it, but it's the only thing I can think of. But why on only 1 computer??? Also I read something about VBR vs CBR video causing the audio to get out of sync. I guess if audio was expecting CBR but file is actually VBR? But again, why on only 1 computer???

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 03:57:46 pm »

Another bit of news: I used MC on the i5 and loaded my main computer as a library client on the i5. I tried streaming the MKV and it was also messed up. I really thought streaming from a 'good' computer would work--doesn't the client computer do all the processing and just send a data stream to the i5?

wer

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 07:15:48 pm »

First, turn off "hardware accelerate video decoding" and "optimize hardware decoding for performance".

Now try playing with your video mode set to Red October Standard.  If no joy, try Red October HQ after changing the "quality setting" to best performance.

You might also have to try updating your video drivers.

If still no joy, you're going to have to get really specific, with screenshots, of the configuration of your system, including type of video card and driver version, and all your audio and video related MC settings.

Obviously this is an issue specific to the video processing on that i5 system; there's nothing wrong with the files.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 10:22:01 am »

Kudos to wer! That fixed it!

I already had the boxes unchecked. It was the change to Red October Standard that did it. I tried alot of different things, but apparently not that one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up