INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id vs. Volumio  (Read 1464 times)

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver Id vs. Volumio
« on: April 10, 2020, 02:17:35 pm »

Hi,
I've been using JRiver for many years on Windows computers (more than 120.000 trecks) mostly in Flac - hi res flac and dsd - all stored on a Synology nas.

I would like to stream my music to my bedroom (yes indeed) and I'm thinking of buying a Raspberry Pi4 - 4GB with Allo Boss dac. Question is : buy a JRiver Id Sd card or use Volumio?

What are the advantages of a JRiver Id ? I've been very satisfied with JRiver and even more with the community and the quick response of all parties concerned.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Id vs. Volumio
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 04:55:38 pm »

Search the forum for "Volumio" if you haven't already.

Quite a number of people do use it as a DLNA Renderer, but there have been some issues along the way.

If you use a JRiver Id running MC it will connect as a MC Client rather than just a DLNA Renderer. That would give you a bit better functionality, I believe. But I'm not running an Id or Volumio so can't list what the differences would be with any authority.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 08:11:30 am »

I haven't used an Id, but have used Volumio and MC for Windows and Linux for a few years.

If you like to tinker, get a few micro sd cards and try different options:

Volumio is a simple light OS for music listening with 1000's of internet radio stations built-in and organized; it will play from your MC server as a client, works as a renderer, etc. and makes a great companion for MC or stand-alone for a bedroom system. It's capabilities are somewhat limited, but it does things pretty well. Everything is accessed through an internet browser.

Install Raspbian or Dietpi and then install MC for Linux. This option is fairly straight forward but requires some knowledge of Linux for things like network shares, etc. This setup expands capabilities but would require more initial effort and maintenance, and a Linux or master license purchase.

If you want to reduce tinkering get the Id card, which is already licensed and supported here, you can spend more time listening to music.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 10:54:21 am »

Thanks for your help Zhillsguy.

I will indeed try a few micro SD cards and try MC for Linux as I have a master license.

I would like to buy an Id card as well, but I'm not sure how long this will still be supported by MC as it was launched some years ago.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up