INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I email a Playlist  (Read 6447 times)

tonyjamesdio

How Do I email a Playlist
« on: April 14, 2020, 07:19:15 pm »

How do I email,(Not Upload to the cloud) a playlist? When I go to send to , Email/Web, Mail recipient , It says "please install an email Program or if one is already installed create an association n the Default Programs control Panel. I have 2 gmail accounts . Anyone have any insight in how to do this .I can not believe this is so difficult to do in JRiver.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How Do I email a Playlist
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 08:17:40 pm »

I assume you are actually trying to email all the music files in a Playlist to someone. That seems to be what the "right-click a Playlist > Send To > Email / Web > Mail Recipient" function does.

The first issue that I think will make this impossible is that most email systems limit the size of attachments to quite small sizes. Traditional email systems like Outlook limit attachments to 10MB. That isn't much, and would probably be less than even a small Playlist of MP3 files.

Gmail appears to have a 25MB attachment size limit... but it isn't a real 25MB, and even if it was, that isn't very big. See https://www.gmass.co/blog/gmail-email-size-limit/  Note that if you exceed the size limit, Gmail uploads the files to Google Drive and inserts a link to the files into the email. That seems to be what you are trying to avoid.

If you still want to go ahead and email a Playlist full of files, and you are using Windows 10 (earlier versions have a similar requirement), you should just need to set your Default Email application in Windows Settings. Search for "Default Apps" in the Windows 10 start menu, then select the Gmail App as your default email application. If you are using the web interface for Gmail I'm not sure if you can use Send To command. I'll let you look into that if required.

Note that when using the Send To function for this, the email created seems to open in the background, and is therefore not visible. You will need to switch (Alt+tab) to the email window to complete the addressing and sending of the email.

If you wanted to just email a Playlist and not the music file, select the Playlist in MC, use the "File > Export Playlist" function to export the Playlists to a file (select the Playlist file format you want to use, such as M3U), save the file to an appropriate location, open your email program, create an email to send to whoever you want to have the Playlist, attach the Playlist file and send the email.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tonyjamesdio

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:53:38 pm »

Hi Thanks for the help . I am running MC 24.0.75 I've made Gmail my default Gmail ap via Windows mail and I still get  "right-click a Playlist > Send To > Email / Web > Mail Recipient" > "please install an email Program or if one is already installed create an association n the Default Programs control Panel. I guess JRiver just has a feature prominently showcased but it is simply unworkable when you actually try to use it. And by the way I would not mind using the google drive link.

If you have any other suggestions it would be appreciated and I would like to thank you in advance. This situation begs the question is it worth upgrading to MC 26 ?

wer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 11:00:53 pm »

Tony, if you right-click on a document on your desktop, or in some other folder, and select "Send to -> Mail Recipient" does it actually work?

tonyjamesdio

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 11:22:10 pm »

No it does Not.

wer

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:41 pm »

Because your email configuration is broken, not because JRiver is.

Roderick tried to tell you how to fix it.  You changed something else instead.

I suggest you look at this link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+I+set+my+default+email+program

...and select the instructions for the version of Windows you're running.

Follow the instructions to set your default email application.  When you have it configured correctly, the test I gave you before will work.

Then you might want to try sending a playlist again.

tonyjamesdio

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 06:26:18 pm »

Yeah that doesn't work I have followed instructions for setting gmail (mail to:). I set Handlers in settings to "Allow sites to become default handlers for protocols(recommended)" I signed on to Gmail but found no overlapped diamonds handlers icon next to the star in the upper right or anywhere else for that matter. So how do I set gmail to be my default email handler? I can not find the overlapped diamond anywhere. Emailing a playlist in JRiver may well consist of buy an SD Card putting the playlist on it and then finding a mailbox to send it to the person. I hope this is not the way to do it. And it does seem as if JRiver is broken. The send playlist via email command should be removed until it actually can.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 07:37:14 pm »

We'll try again.

JRiver MC isn't broken.

Even in the old version of MC you are running this function would still work perfectly, I believe.

The problem you are having is with your Windows and email setup.

Why would JRiver remove the Send To Playlist function when it is working perfectly?

Your PC is your responsibility. Fix it, and the function will work.

You haven't even said which version of Windows you are running. Windows XP?

Google is your friend. If the Send To function doesn't work in Windows Explorer, how would you expect it to work in MC?

Once you have the function working in Windows Explorer, as shown by the simple test Wer described, then and only then test it again in MC. If it doesn't work in MC then, describe your environment and ask for more help.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 07:52:44 pm »

Did you get the test I gave you, using the document on your desktop, to work?  If not, why did you come back already?

Rod is being charitable.  We have both tried to help you.  But from your very first post on this forum, you have been snarky.  You have not earned the right to be snarky.  If you had participated in the forums for a long time, you could be snarky.  If you were an IT expert with decades of experience in making complex systems work, you could be snarky.  But you clearly are not.  You can't even get your default mail client configured correctly, and yet you're giving us all this attitude.

This is my last attempt to help you, and then I will leave it to more patient and tolerant souls.

Your email account, Gmail, is irrelevant.  The Gmail web site is irrelevant.

Only the email program running on your computer, which you said is "Windows Mail" is relevant.  You must make that the default mail handler.  Use the google search I gave you to find the instructions to do that on whatever version of Windows you're on.
Or follow the instructions here:
https://www.lifewire.com/make-windows-default-email-1174342

When you have done that, perform the test I gave you.  If THAT TEST doesn't work, JRiver can't do it either.  Keep working on following the instructions on the web until you succeed.

If you can't, or don't want to put in the effort to get your basic Windows functionality working, then you should consider calling Geek Squad, and see if they'll help you.

If you return with an actual JRiver issue and a proper attitude, perhaps we can help you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up