INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MadVR & LAV not identifying some interlaced content correctly  (Read 2377 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe

I've found a situation where MadVR & LAV (not sure which one is actually responsible) don't identify some interlaced content as interlaced, when using the "srcInterlaced" boolean as part of profile rules.

My profile rule is fine and works for some content, but I have some series (Ken Burns' Baseball is one) that is interlaced, but srcInterlaced still evaluates as false.  Obviously srcInterlaced is a MadVR variable, but I don't know if it gets its interlacing info from LAV or not.

The content shows obvious interlacing artifacts, and mediainfo (and other tools) identify it as interlaced, so there is no doubt. I can provide examples as needed.

Is this something that JRiver can address, or is this exclusively a madvr issue that Madshi would have to fix? (which probably means forget it due to his backlog)

I don't know if a lot of people have experience with MadVR profile groups, but I thought I'd ask...

I know I could force these things through the deinterlacer (automatically activate deinterlaciong as needed) but I'm trying to have separate profile groups because some other content shows artifacts when forced through the deinterlacer.  I could also force things by renaming all the files, but that's a pain and this is what profile rules are for.

Thanks...

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: MadVR & LAV not identifying some interlaced content correctly
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 11:08:36 pm »

I stop using auto detection of interlaced material ... my problem was auto detection of Film vs Video deinterlacing algorithm

So instead ... I created directory for interlaced stuff ... there I created directory for contents that need Film deinterlacing and separate directory for content that need Video deinterlacing algorithm

I then use source path to determine when to force deinterlacing and which mode of deinterlacing to use

It’s a lot of manual work initially ... but in the end gave me most trouble free viewing
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

wer

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 11:18:37 pm »

I stop using auto detection of interlaced material ... my problem was auto detection of Film vs Video deinterlacing algorithm

Are you referring to "automatic source type detection" and "(force) film mode" on the deinterlacing tab?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 11:40:54 pm »

Are you referring to "automatic source type detection" and "(force) film mode" on the deinterlacing tab?
Yup ... depending on material Video or Film mode should be used to deinterlace ... not always auto picks correct one and it annoyed he’ll out of me

So I force deinterlace on content located in Interlaced folder (path contains word Interlaced) ... turn off deinterlacing for everything else

If material located in FilmMode folder I force film mode on it ... same for VideoMode folder

When I rip my DVDs ... I check the rip anyway and at that time I determine which interlacing is needed and put it in appropriate location

Now I have rarely use disc as nearly all my collections is on HDD ... so automatically detecting if I need interlacing and which one specifically is thing of the past for me now
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

wer

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 11:52:31 pm »

Well, "automatic source type detection" doesn't actually do what it says.

"Film Mode" is inverse-telecine (IVTC).  It decimates extra frames from the telecine process. MadVR doesn't auto-detect or auto-activate film mode, ever.  Someone asked about that on doom9 and madshi said flat out that madvr never activates IVTC on its own, you have to do it manually.

So this left everyone to conclude that the wording of that option was just garbage.  "Video mode" is what it always does, if it deinterlaces at all. Film mode has to be forced on either through checking the box, the filename, or the keyboard.

You know you didn't have to relocate the files, that you can force film mode by adding "deint=film" to the filename, right?

I have a bunch of shows and movies that the srcInterlaced boolean doesn't work on, and a bunch it does. That's what's puzzling me.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 02:46:41 am »

Ha ... makes me glad I went static way instead of auto detecting

Yes ... I know there are several other way to organize video for purpose of MadVR profiling (including the one involving file names you mention) ... but long ago I decided to stick with Name (Year) naming only ... and my media is organized in

Movie/BluRay Movie/3DBluRay Movie/UHD Movie/UHD_DV Movie/DVD Movie/VCD

So for me it was easier to add subdirectories structure for DVD and VCD and keep files Name (Year)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 10:50:54 am »

I went the same way - the directory structure and file name are indicative of the format.  removes all the variables and lets me rely on strict rules to determine how to process.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables
Pages: [1]   Go Up