INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing a regular NUC with JRiver Id  (Read 1330 times)

Pateanu

Replacing a regular NUC with JRiver Id
« on: April 20, 2020, 05:22:42 pm »

My apologies if this is answered somewhere, but I am a newbie to this...
I am currently using MC 26 running on an Intel NUC with windows 10. Problem is, I am sick and tired of Windows downloading updates on me which require rebooting and servers not restarting automatically. In short, I would like to run MC on a dedicated device. My understanding is that my options are a NAS or JRiver Id. I am an IT professional, but had no exposure to Linux. Here are my questions:
1. If I were to use JRiver Id, do I need Linux knowledge to set it up and run (considering that I would like to port my library too from the current environment)?
2. Is JRiver Id nice and stable, meaning can I "set and forget" have my MC server up and running all the time without constant need to restart?
3. Since I already have a NUC, is there a way to reuse it and just buy the the software image for JRiver Id and convert my existing NUC to a JRiver Id?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Cheers
Rares

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replacing a regular NUC with JRiver Id
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 05:36:22 pm »

I don't know if they sell the Id software separately for Intel, although they do for Raspberry Pi.  But you could certainly just buy the Linux version of JRiver.

Another option would be to just blow away Windows 10 and put Windows 7 on the box.  You won't at least have trouble controlling Win7, and otherwise MC will work exactly the same.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 05:46:35 pm »

1. If I were to use JRiver Id, do I need Linux knowledge to set it up and run (considering that I would like to port my library too from the current environment)?
2. Is JRiver Id nice and stable, meaning can I "set and forget" have my MC server up and running all the time without constant need to restart?
3. Since I already have a NUC, is there a way to reuse it and just buy the the software image for JRiver Id and convert my existing NUC to a JRiver Id?
1.  No
2.  Yes
3.  No

For the Raspberry Pi, you can buy an SD card with everything on it.

Pateanu

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 06:58:18 pm »

Thanks, much appreciated

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 07:23:09 am »

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Cheers
Rares

This was an option some time ago:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95960.msg661323

I took advantage of the Id USB option way back when.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a compatibility hassle for Jim and bob.

Even so, the IdPi is a great alternative. Otherwise, you could set up your NUC with Debian or Ubuntu and run MC. A little bit more work but entirely doable. Just depends what your ultimate objective is.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up