INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP - Subwoofer 2.0 or 2.1 setting  (Read 2263 times)

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
DSP - Subwoofer 2.0 or 2.1 setting
« on: April 28, 2020, 08:33:30 pm »

I just noticed that within DSP Output there is a subwoofer setting.  I don't know how i missed this before.  I have two B&W CM10s floor standers and a B&W Subwoofer (DB4S).  I believe this means I  have a 2.1 set up. However, in the 'channel' setting, I had it set at 2.0.  This automatically sets the subwoofer low pass to 120hz.  I have no idea if this is the right point for my speakers or not.  I can manually change this..just not sure where to set it.

One other question...if i change the 'channels' setting to 2.1...it auto resets the subwoofer to 60hz.  However, when I tried to play a 16bit FLAC file after this setting change, i got an error saying something about not being able to pay a 6ch format or something.  It asked if I wanted to automatically set it back so i could play the file. I chose 'yes' and the file played but all settings reverted back to 2.0 channels and 120hz subwoofer...

Any help would be appreciated.

tx

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP - Subwoofer 2.0 or 2.1 setting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 09:06:30 pm »

I have no idea if this is the right point for my speakers or not.  I can manually change this..just not sure where to set it.

This setting isn't dependent on your subwoofer, but on your mains.  You don't say what your main speakers are.  Look them up, check their frequency response, and frequencies below the optimum for your mains should go to the subwoofer.  This may be happening for you automatically in your receiver/processor.  Better check your settings there too.

That error indicates you're trying to play a format your sound card doesn't like.  But you give no info on your sound card, or how your system is hooked up.  You have amps and a receiver or processor right?  Hooked up to the computer how?  The format might be one your sound card simply doesn't support, or it might be refusing to accept that format because an HDMI handshake with the receiver is rejecting it.  No way to be sure with the sparse info you've provided.

We'd need full details on system hookup, sound card, audio settings in MC, and DSP Studio settings.

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 08:26:26 am »

My HP Zbook laptop connects via USB to my Benchmark DAC2.  My main speakers are B&W CM10s which have a frequency range of 45hz to 28khz.   The sub is a B&W DB4S. The Benchmark DAC connects to my Classe Amplifier (SIGMA AMP2) using XLR.  The XLR is actually a splitter so one set of XLRs connect to my Classe (from the Benchmark) and the other pair connects to the subwoofer.

I should also add, the B&W sub is controlled entirely by a mobile app (via bluetooth).  In the app you can choose the mains you are using which automatically sets the cross over point.  I presume this is around the 45hz mark as the CM10s can't go any lower. 

With all that said, I'm wondering, do I need to do anything with the sub setting currently set at 120hz?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:26:50 pm »

Well, that's important info.

You do not have a 2.1 setup.  You have a 2.0 setup.

You've faked a 2.1 setup, by shoehorning in the sub with that splitter cable.

2.1 is technically a 3 channel format, it's called 2.1 because 2 of the channels are full range, and 1 is not.  But there are 3 discrete channels.

All the parameters we're talking about revolve around what frequencies to split off from the main two channels and redirect to the third channel.

You do not have a third addressable channel, so messing with these parameters can do nothing for you.  There's no third channel to route frequencies to.

Messing with the settings directly on you sub is all you can do.  Or get a multichannel DAC.

Joeycococo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 12:33:26 pm »

THanks. 

So, the subwoofer setting is of no consequence to me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up