INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR remote question  (Read 450 times)

ixne

• Recent member
IR remote question
« on: May 01, 2020, 03:01:24 pm »

Hey all, I'm about halfway down the rabbit hole rebuilding my media setup.  Now have an old MacMini (2,1 from circa 2007) now running headless with Debian linux with MC26 -> DAC -> amp, getting Debian installed was a real pain on the older mac but after some helpful threads here I'm up and running, listening and controlling remotely as I type. Really glad I didn't go the more expensive walled-garden route with some overpriced proprietary streamer, as someone who remembers the original winamp fondly it's amazing to see a program as capable and flexible as MC.

I've now moved into the polishing stage - still some hardware corners to sand down (dummy DVI plug for VNC? Really?), but the purpose of this thread is to clarify the functionality of IR receivers/remote.  I have an old working media center IR receiver but I'd like to ditch the media center remote and use my amp remote; it's a nice remote and has a lot of buttons that I don't use as it was designed to work with mated CD transport and streaming devices that I don't own.  The IR receiver picks up signals from this remote, but I can't see any way to remap these signals to MC controls.  If I add an IR Blaster command it will learn my remote just fine, but as I understand it these IR Blaster commands are there to control the amp from another device.  Attempting to "learn" MC functions in the commands menu doesn't work. At this point I'm just trying this through my win10 desktop, haven't even attempted in linux but ideally I'd have the receiver attached to the Mac Mini/Debian system next to my amp.

A quick google education in IR receivers seems to indicate that these devices are not exactly easy to remap so maybe this isn't possible right now, just trying to find out. Thanks!

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: IR remote question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 03:31:39 pm »

You could get a Flirc IR receiver.  It will work with most remotes and send keystrokes to MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up