INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote2 and Chromecast  (Read 1436 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
JRemote2 and Chromecast
« on: May 07, 2020, 06:29:53 am »

brother of mine dove into jriver last week, and purchased jremote 2.
we are having streaming problems from his devices to his tv/chromecast.
when using jremote on his devices EVEN in HIGH quality mode. streaming is flawless/we tried couple minute videos, 4 hour videos, and music playlists... zer0 skips/hangups. but no matter what we tried when choosing to cast to his tv from his devices.. with in a couple minutes the tv video just spins/bottom left corner. and his devices stop playback... please see pics attached.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: jremote2.. chromecast alternative?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 07:45:52 pm »

Casting still seems to be a can of worms for me. I've had a few issues with it, and I don't use it very often.

But I was just able to cast a whole Album just now, about 40 minutes, with no issues.

Then I tried to get JRemote2 to cast a movie, and that was just difficult. The sequence to get JRemote2 to select a movie to play so that you can then select cast and play, just wasn't consistent. I can't select Cast and then just play a movie, or add it to Playing Now and then play what is in Playing Now. JRemote2 just won't add anything to Playing Now while in Cast mode. I suspect once I have been pressing buttons for a while that JRemote2 just gets confused and gives up. When selecting Casting to my TV, the TV did acknowledge that "JRiver JRemote" was casting to it, but without something in Playing Now to play, or without it justing playing a movie once casting is selected, nothing happens on the TV.

Mind you, I did manage to get the movie to start playing once, and it stopped with the spinning icon after a couple of minutes. I tried again with the low video quality video setting. Same result. Dragging the position slider to a new position does get the movie started again at the new spot, but it still stops again in a couple of minutes. I didn't diagnose beyond that.

This isn't a big issue for me, but if someone can share the correct sequence of buttons pushes to get JRemote2 to cast to a TV, that would be a great start. At least then if it works for someone else, but not for me or xtacbyme, we know it is probably our environment.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone to my Sony KD-65X9300D Android TV
Note that I do seem to have some network issues, which may contribute to my issue.
Also note in the linked thread that I had to reboot my TV to get it working last time, but didn't do that this time. The TV was responding so JRemote2 though, so it didn't seem to need a reboot, and I did get a couple of other movies to start playing. I think the TV capabilities and stability using Chromecast are also a contributor to the problems.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: JRemote2 and Chromecast
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 03:22:17 am »

From an idle JRemote2, click the cast button in the top bar and select your device to pair to it. Once the cast session is established (the icon gets  "filled" and the device should show the JRemote2 cast scene),  just select whatever content you want to play.

Note that casting does not work if you use HTTPS to access MC and do not have a properly trusted certificate. I can make JRemote2 ignore trust issues based on other factors, but ChromeCast either needs a trusted certificate, or none.

For stability issues mid-playback, thats not in JRemotes hands, it hands off playback control to the  ChromeCast device, which directly talks to MC to get the video.
The method we use for streaming is however not the most reliable, and we are planning to revisit that soon.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 05:23:57 pm »

Thanks for the clarification Hendrik.

The main problem I saw was that I couldn't select video media to play once I had selected the Cast button. However, that may be down to my network. I'm going to be trying to address that soon and will retest.

Selecting audio media worked better.

I understand the other issues regarding pauses in playback. I suspect that my TV's implementation of Chromecast isn't perfect. I've tried casting to my PC which has Chromecast Ultra available, but that gave me issues as well. I think in that case the file formats might be an issue. I casting to the TV, using low quality video, for example, worked better than higher quality.

I don't use SSL as this is all inside my home network.

Does that information help you Xtacbyme?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 12:23:30 am »

i been following along w/ you guys here.. we've had some troubles on the farms... but i'll touch base in the next couple days w/ some detailed info on the things ive tried recently and throughout the years... in pithy.. i do not feel this is a jriver issue, but a chromecast one. ive instructed brother to open google home/chromecast to his tv from that/ then skip jriver completely and try youtube @ a couple hours long.... he said he'd be in touch. im curious if it happens there as well, as ive read has happened to others online.
appreciate the replies, and help w/ this... i been close to my wits end.

maybe there is an alternative way for me to help him get EITHER jriver theaterview or jremote/interface to his tv (without needing to purchase and setup a separate pc? (in meantime...i'm up for suggestions )
Be in touch. thank you again guys!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:25:49 am »

hi guys, sorry it took so long...

so bro ran some tests w/ just youtube... he says those seemed to have played fine.( he tried numerous files.. all over 20 minutes.
)
other things i have tried... i purchased a HDMI extender (after trying chromecasts extender)... still no luck.
i purchased wifi extenders.. still no luck.

ive been looking around amazon for a cheap alternative.... what are your guys thoughts on these? (just to be able to get jriver theaterview/jremote type interface onto that tv for him.. so he can access/view dads server...family pics/vids.

wireless windows 10 mini pc - https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=wireless+windows+10+mini+pc&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
 do any of you have any experiences w/ these? pro's cons? able to stream from dads pc?
i do have an extra hp IR i bought from jriver.. guess all i'd need would be to setup jriver/keyboard and his harmony remote.
 have any of u tried fanless/or usb type systems?

ideas/thoughts?
Thanks for your help... much appreciated!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 06:42:17 pm »

I see he has a Sharp TV. Which exact model?
What is the exact Make and Model of his phone, and OS version?

Also, your brother is streaming from your Dad's PC, and you are helping from another location, correct? You are all remote from each other, so we are talking about access to your Dad's MC Server over the internet? That might not make any difference with the JRemote issue, but it could impact discussion.

An alternative to Chromecast for video is Screen Mirroring, which is available on a lot of devices. If the TV has Wi-Fi, and supports Wi-Fi Direct, and the phone supports Screen Mirroring via Wi-Fi Direct, then that may be the solution. I get better overall results for video using Screen Mirroring rather than Chromecast.

Similar post recently, using Gizmo: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125204.msg867196.html#msg867196

Perhaps try that before getting into a mini PC. Or maybe a nVidia TV Shield Pro running JRiver for Android TV. That is a bit bleeding edge just now, but cheaper and simpler than a mini PC.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 06:58:07 am »

ive yet to hear bck on the model number.. but i do know it's at least 8-10 yrs old.. it is one of the oldest smart tv's out there..very minimal options.. i dove into the menus screens deep when he first got it.. no one uses the features.. i do recall bck in the day trying the dlna on it, and it was very laggy, and left alot to to be desired :(

my brother lives/works at my dads, so the library is local... in house/upstairs, and via wireless (his tablet / phone, and his girlfriends iphone work w/ zer0 issues where this tv resides... good speeds/zer0 buffers/wait times  on each physical device.)

i visit there often (at least once a week)

things are quite hectic here lately.. but i will dive deeper into the possibility of screen mirroring, instead of chromecast, also i'll have a look into tv shield pro. none of us are sure how much time dad has left/alz... but it would be nice for me to get something up for these guys, so he can enjoy a few walks down memory lane from the comfort of his/their couches.

appreciate the info/diff options.. we'll be in touch on our progress
Thanks Roderick
Pages: [1]   Go Up