INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Explorer  (Read 548 times)

proton32060

• Recent member
JRiver Explorer
« on: May 22, 2020, 09:06:11 pm »

I decided to shorten my original Post down to something manageable and easy to understand.

I have a problem after having the stereo system upgraded in my car. It can play music from a Thumb Drive so I copied a lot of files over I originally ripped with JRiver 26.

The files were ripped with these settings:

“Song Name- Artist”

And that was all I wanted the file names to say.

Okay, here is a one of my problems:

Each song file was ripped and labeled like this using jRivers settings : “Our Lips are Sealed- The Go Go’s”.

But when it comes up in jRivers Explorer’s Name Category or in the car it comes up as “CD Track 01”.
But the album art is still right.
So it is playing a song with the right name and artist as its file name but comes up as Track 1 on the Display.

Or take the file “TAKE A BOW-MADONNA.flac”.
It shows up as "Take a BO(Bedtime Stories)".

Or the File “Venus-Bananarama.flac”, it shows up as “Track 1” in spite of the fact the album art is correct and it is PLAYING  a file named “Venus-Bananarama.flac”,

Or take the file “Walking On Broken Glass-Annie Lennox”- it comes up as
“Walking on Broken Glass ( The Annie Lennox Collection (CD 1))” .
And that is in spite of it being listed in the name column on JRiver Explorer as simply Walking on Broken Glass.

The list goes on and on.

Simply, in a lot of cases the name listed in jRivers Explorer either doesn’t even know the file name of what it is playing or the Name listed in Windows Explorer and what JRiver displays is totally different.
And that misinformation is what comes up when the song is played.

So the problem is both JRiver and the car stereo are reading the tags of the files instead of the file names themselves.

This was never a problem on the Computer since I would click the file in Windows Explorer and play the song and never noticed what JRiver was displaying.
But the car isn’t reading the file names but the tags.

So how do I clear the tags from these files and have them only contain the Name of the Song, the Artist, and the appropriate Clip Art?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: JRiver Explorer has me pulling my hair out.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:36:06 pm »

What you really want to do is populate the tags with the correct information. Then they'll display correctly no matter what you're using to play them with. If your filenames are correct and structured the way you like them, you can use the Library Tools -> Fill Properties from Filename tool and let it help you populate the tag data with information from your filenames. You can use it on large chunks of files at once, as long as they all fit the same pattern for how their name is constructed. From your example above it would be "[Name]- [Artist]", but if you had them all in folders for albums or years, etc. You can use that tool to copy that data over. Once you have your tags filled in with enough data the power of MC really starts to shine. You can build views into your collection pretty much however you want.

proton32060

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:52:53 pm »

Thanks,
It sounds easy enough and I will give it a try.
But I might need some help.

My biggest question before I start is will it clear all the album art out when I do it or will the album art stay intact?
It took hours pasting Album art into a lot of the files.

To be honest, I have been using and buying upgrades from JRiver for over ten years for two main reasons:

First, and actually the most important reason is the bouncing boxes in the Spectrum Analyzer view. Don't ask me why but I love that and if they ever removed it I would not upgrade anymore.

Second, they seem to be a good company and I like supporting good people.
But that is it.

I know Media Center can do a lot of incredible things and they keep adding more features but they are really of no use to me.
I use it merely as a Media Player on the Computer and that is all I use it for.

So let me give it a try but me with Media Center is like giving a kid a Super Computer to play Pac Man.

It can do incredible things but all I want is for it to just play my media.

proton32060

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 11:12:29 pm »

Okay, I have messed around with the Library Tools and made some headway but regardless of what I have done it still displays the album as well.
It does now Display the Song Name and Artist but it still has the album in the tag as well that comes up when you play it.
If I could just get it to remove the album info I would have exactly what I want.

I have tried " [Name] [Artist] " in the expression field but it still adds the album it came from after that. And no matter what I have tried I can't get it to remove the album from the tag.

Any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up