INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (resolved) How do I remove these "File could not be found" remnants?  (Read 3064 times)

azzmo

• Recent member

In the past when I moved a file location the remnant linking to the old location (the red - in the picture) remained but would be cleaned up when I hit the refresh button. Unfortunately they now remain and have to be cleaned up manually. Can anybody advise as to what settings I need to change to automate this again? I'm embarrassed to say that I've dug around in the settings for 45 minutes and cannot solve this seemingly rudimentary issue.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I remove these "File could not be found" remnants?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 06:06:14 pm »

Probably the "Fix broken links" setting in Auto Import.

If you changed that to "No" for some reason, be sure you really want to change it back. I use the "Yes (protect files on missing drives)" setting, as I don't want MC "fixing" links if a drive goes offline for some reason.

Of course, you need to have Auto Import running in the background for this to work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 06:11:53 pm »

Oh, wait. You moved files rather than deleting them. I read too quickly.

You should use the MC "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" function to move files. Then all the metadata, including data stored in tags and data that is only in the MC Library fields, will move with them, instead of having MC re-import the files, and only getting the metadata that is stored in the files tags.

If you move files outside MC you potentially lose data and control. But the settings mentioned above will fix the remnants you see, if you do move files outside MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

azzmo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:17:10 pm »

Thanks. I'll try to use the internal method in the future, but still curious if there's a way to reenable the old "the missing file links within Media Center just disappear" thing that I had going.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:34:50 pm »

See my first post above.

azzmo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 06:19:27 am »

I forgot to mention that that is checked. I'd assumed would pertain to this function; it just doesn't seem to do anything, even after reinstall. The one thing I believe may have sustained the issue through a reinstall is that I loaded previous playlists and settings from before.

Can you advise where I can delete and reacquire default media player settings? Screenshot is where I thought to move a settings file from, to auto populate default settings (without deleting or defaulting anything else such as the libraries and playlists). Or should I just do a clean reinstall?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 06:00:45 pm »

You should really, really stop doing uninstalls and reinstalls. There are only a few situations where that fixes an issue that couldn't have been fixed inside MC. I don't think your issue qualifies, from what I know so far.

You also should not be directly copying and moving files in MC program directories to try to reinstate default media player settings, unless you really know what you are doing. There is no file you can delete to reset settings to default. All settings are stored in the Windows Registry.

If you really, really need to get back to the default settings, this is one of the things that does require making a Library Backup, a full uninstall, including the Library and all settings, and then a reinstall without letting MC find the old Library. The default settings would then be visible inside MC. If you then want your Library and Playlists back, Restore the Library Backup you just made without settings. However, while that will give you the default media player settings, you will need to set everything up again from scratch, for your local hardware, preferences, etc. That could be a lot of work, depending on how complex your setup was previously.

So if you have lost some player settings, Restore an earlier MC Library Backup. MC makes regular Library Backups, so there will be several to choose from. If that isn't viable, just fix the settings inside MC. It isn't hard. I assume that you did Restore a MC Library Backup after the un/reinstalls, or that MC found the previous Library and used that, so you should have what you had before. If it doesn't work, fix it. If you don't know how, explain your setup and the issue you are having, and ask for help on that issue.

On the issue of making "the missing file links within Media Center just disappear", if you have the Auto Import setting "Fix broken links" set to "Yes (protect files on missing drives)", and you run Auto Import or it runs automatically, then the missing files will be removed from the MC Library. That works. If it hasn't happened, it is because you don't have Auto Import set to run, and you haven't run it manually, or you have your media on an external drive such as a NAS or a USB drive. If you do have your media files on an external drive, set "Fix broken links" set to "Yes" and run Auto Import.

Go to the top menu > Tools > Import > select "Run Auto-Import Now", and click Finish to run Auto Import.
Check if the missing files have been removed. If they haven't, come back and report here.

If the missing files were removed, then go to "Options > General > Library & Folders > Auto-import > Run auto-import in background" and tick the box.

azzmo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 11:06:40 am »

Go to the top menu > Tools > Import > select "Run Auto-Import Now", and click Finish to run Auto Import.
Check if the missing files have been removed. If they haven't, come back and report here.

This worked and cleaned up all of my broken links. Additionally, it seems to have broken the dam preventing the program from finding files that were moved around within Windows Explorer. I just tested it and JRiver is again able to track down an album moved to a different Explorer folder while maintaining the same tags within JRiver. Back to how it's functioned the last few years for me. I really appreciate the time and help Roderick! Somehow I'd never thought to try an auto import to reinstate things. I came here figuring I was missing something basic...seems to have been the case. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up