INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] ASIO line in improvements  (Read 1291 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
[REQ] ASIO line in improvements
« on: June 01, 2020, 03:07:18 pm »

One hopefully small one and one bigger one

The small one first....

Allow an asio line in configuration to be stored as a library item so it can be played like any other library item

Alternative implementation... A car radio button shortcut that lets you store a few (2-3 would do) different configurations as named presets

The (potentially) bigger one...

Improve performance so that small buffers can be used

This one cuts across hardware (pc and audio) as far as I can tell so seems to be a jriver problem. Using asio line in consistently seems to require v large buffers (at an asio driver level) to produce stable playback. Any improvements here would be welcome.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: [REQ] ASIO line in improvements
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 08:01:45 pm »

Just add the line-in ASIO file to a playlist.  Then you can play it later any time.  It just has the filename: live://asio.

It looks like for buffer size it uses the ideal buffer size returned by ASIOGetBufferSize which should be pretty tight with most hardware,
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 05:09:27 am »

Just add the line-in ASIO file to a playlist.  Then you can play it later any time.  It just has the filename: live://asio.
this is not useless but it's not terribly useful either, the scenario here is basically the preamp one so a typical audio interface that has inputs will have many inputs and you may use these for different purposes. For example

* something via the analogue inputs (some audio playback device of some sort)
* something via SPDIF (a cable box maybe?)
* a pure digital feed (e.g. using audio device loopback for REW measurements)

this means at least 3 different selections for channel count and offset

if you could store something like live://asio?offset=5&count=2&device=ABC as a named item then that would work nicely

It looks like for buffer size it uses the ideal buffer size returned by ASIOGetBufferSize which should be pretty tight with most hardware,
my point is that I have to increase the buffer size dramatically to maintain stable playback, e.g. increasing buffers from 192 samples to 1280 samples (at 48kHz) to avoid persistent glitches (still not perfect but is better). I suspect it does relate to complexity (latency) of the DSP engine configuration but I think this should be something jriver should deal with (as it presumably does when playing from a file source).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 09:06:38 am »

I'll make the next build have all the parameters on the URL so you could save different configurations.  It's a bit of work, but it's a good idea.  Thanks.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 11:27:12 am »

I'll make the next build have all the parameters on the URL so you could save different configurations.  It's a bit of work, but it's a good idea.  Thanks.
great, that will be really useful, thanks

luckyaua

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 12:09:11 pm »

Hi Matt, there are news about this features?
 I've a pro audio interface with a lot of inputs and i would use it like a pre hi-fi with source selection....

thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 07:15:58 am »

Hi Matt, there are news about this features?

It should be there.

I open ASIO and see this now:
live://asio?deviceindex=4&deviceid=%7B800EEBFE-587B-4209-A79E-F7833A2FDEE5%7D&samplerate=44100&channels=2&channelshift=0

luckyaua

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 09:39:47 am »

ho yes....thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up