INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Plays then Stops  (Read 990 times)

DivBy0

• Recent member
Audio Plays then Stops
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:14:23 am »

I've been using JRiver MC on Windows for many years now and it's been just great. But recently I've taken a dive into the Raspberry Pi 4. So the issues I'm having is, I can get the audio to start playing, but then after 10-20 seconds or sometimes longer, the music will eventually stop, MC just freezes.  ?
My current audio setup is:
  • 10tb external hd mounted on RPi via usb type 3
  • Raspberry Pi 4 8gb (Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) w/desktop)
  • then usb type 2 out to Oppo 105d asynchronous usb
I have 2 general audio file formats, Flac and DFS. For testing, I'm pointing the library at 3 albums and have no auto syncing on. I can get them to play in their native format, but shortly after starting, they'll stop. I've read most of the message boards for help in this matter, but to no avail.
Does anyone have a similar setup? I've look at the log file, but not seeing any errors. Its like the data stream just stops, maybe between the HD and RPi or between RPi and the 105d.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio Plays then Stops
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:22:48 am »

For testing, use only one file type.  Ordinary FLAC (not Hi Res), for example.  Test files from the local drive if possible.

Read about power limitations on the RPi.  Powering your drive from the Pi can easily cause problems.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 12:07:36 pm »

There's also a VL805 beta you might try:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=273027

I'm running it (with kernel 5.4 and USB boot bootloader) outputting 2 zones, one to a SMSL (USB3) and one to xDuoo (USB2), my formats are APE/FLAC (24/96 stuff).
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

DivBy0

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »

Thanks JimH, thanks for your quick response...
I unplugged all peripheries except for monitor and usb to Oppo. I'm using RPi WiFi through VNC Viewer to test on other computer. Placed 1 album (16/44) in RPi Music directory and updated MC's library. Basically unchecked all applicable MC option in Tools=>Options. Still songs play for maybe a 60sec. and freezes. The time is different every time I test.

So I'm thinking of maybe using a different OS...maybe Volumio, wait for 64bit, I don't know, still thinking...

There's also a VL805 beta you might try:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=273027

I'm running it (with kernel 5.4 and USB boot bootloader) outputting 2 zones, one to a SMSL (USB3) and one to xDuoo (USB2), my formats are APE/FLAC (24/96 stuff).
Mike Noe, Thanks for the sugestion, I thought that sounds like it would work, but in read their disclamer "NB 2: This upgrade method has no effect on Pi 4 8GB boards, because the VLI EEPROM is a no-fit part. The VLI firmware has been rolled into the bootloader EEPROM. Updating the VLI firmware independently from the bootloader is not currently possible."
Of course, I have the 8gb version...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 01:10:52 pm »

Try a different virtual desktop. 

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 04:37:08 pm »

Can you play directly from the rpi. It sounds like all you need would be to hook up a keyboard to your Pi. This would identify if the problem is associated with your virtual set-up. You could also try playing via JRemote, if you have it, through your Pi. Again a means of bypassing the Vnc.
Just some suggestions.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

DivBy0

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 08:04:50 pm »

Hi eriv, yes I've got all the peripherals, Keyboard and mouse. I'm trying to minimize or remove as many variables as I can, to locate this issue. I'm also able as you suggested, to use Gizmo, EOS, JRemote and JRemote2 to play audio to my phone (WiFi or Cell) without any errors. But using above mentioned to play to the Oppo, well, the audio stops shortly after it starts. And of course the main reason to hook up with the Oppo, is the great sound the DAC creates in my home audio system. Similarly I should point out, I have a Surface with Windows 10 w/special ASIO drivers and that plays all the audio flawlessly. I just hate tying up that piece of equipment as a media player, so that's where the RPi comes in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up