INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC for ChromeOS -- it works!  (Read 1278 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC for ChromeOS -- it works!
« on: June 08, 2020, 08:59:00 am »

I'm turning a 5-year-old Broadwell 3215U Celeron Chromebook (Toshiba Chromebook 2 2015) into a secondary NAS/HTPC and decided to install MC via Linux Beta in ChromeOS just for kicks before wiping it. I used installJRMC to install MC in the terminal and almost everything works perfectly OOTB  :o. I connected to a library server (auto-discovery worked!) and was able to get local audio playback with the default (ALSA) output setting.

I then tried playing back videos from the library server. This laptop really lugs and I have to keep videos below ~15 Mbps total bitrate (low quality 1080p), but it works! Enabling hardware acceleration doesn't seem to affect playback at all, so I'm assuming that it is not working.

There are some UI issues with window dialogs, but nothing that would cause issues with an HTPC if people are interested in installing MC on a Chromebox or something similar. I haven't tested much beyond A/V playback but I was so surprised that it was all working that I wanted to share. I never tested the HDMI out, but at least for local playback on the device things are really quite good.

Next, I'm going to install a custom firmware and Fedora or Ubuntu on bare metal to see how well it handles higher bitrate video and whether I can get HA working.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC for ChromeOS -- it works!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 10:47:38 am »

I've also been using Linux on a Chromebook, first the Pixelbook and now Samsung Galaxy Chromebook.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114616.msg827877.html#msg827877
Pages: [1]   Go Up