INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 26.0.87 for RHEL 8 (Red hat)  (Read 751 times)

lucretius

• Recent member
JRiver Media Center 26.0.87 for RHEL 8 (Red hat)
« on: June 10, 2020, 04:58:13 am »

The latest install script (installJRMC) did not work.  The earlier script, install_MC_fedora.sh, was able to build an RPM, however, the RPM failed to install -- got stuck on trying to install wget (which was already installed).

I downloaded the RPM directly from the "unofficial repository", https://repos.bryanroessler.com/jriver/, and successfully installed JRiver Media Center 26.0.87 with this RPM.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Media Center 26.0.87 for RHEL 8 (Red hat)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 09:30:45 pm »

Sorry, I cannot test or support installJRMC on RHEL as I do not have a license. I just tested it and it works on CentOS 8 so this is likely a problem with package naming or the set of default packages.

The RPMs should work fine and you may be able to work around the bug by running:

Code: [Select]
installJRMC --install-repo --mcversion 26.0.87
By specifying the version manually you'll avoid the web scraping required to grab the latest version number and thus the wget dependency (I have not and cannot test this). From there on, package updates will be handled by dnf.

You are also welcome to supply the quirks necessary to get RHEL working and I can add them.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:18:23 pm »

I just uploaded installJRMC v0.7. I have modified the script to not exit by default when dependencies are not met. This may improve your odds of getting it to run OOTB on RHEL 8.

lucretius

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 10:46:42 am »

FYI: I got a free license for RHEL 8.  I believe they will still give you one as long as it is not used for commercial purposes but you have to register an account.

The latest installJMRC script failed when I ran it on RHEL 8.  I was able to install Media Center with the downloaded rpm. Would I be missing any dependencies, etc?

Also, I run RHEL 8 and Fedora 32 as guest OSes in a VMware Workstation 15.5 VM. Media Center will play sound only if the "es1371" virtual sound driver is loaded -- Media Center will not work with the newer "hdaudio" virtual sound driver -- Other programs, e.g. Rhythmbox and Audacity, work fine with the "hdaudio" virtual sound driver. [The "hdaudio" driver is preferred over the "es1371" driver.]

I also have Ubuntu (20.04 LTS) and Linux Mint running as guest OSes in VMware.  Curiously, Media Center works fine with the "hdaudio" virtual sound driver in these cases.  However, these two guest OSes both use VMware Tools (from VMware), whereas the RHEL 8 and Fedora 32 guests use the open-vm-tools (recommended by VMware).

Pages: [1]   Go Up