INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choirs - do you create a separate tag or use Orchestra?  (Read 435 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Choirs - do you create a separate tag or use Orchestra?
« on: June 17, 2020, 06:07:53 pm »

I noticed with interest that there is no Choir tag in the presets, which I thought was a little odd. So what do you do? Create your own Choir tag (and maybe even Choir Master) or are you satisfied with just using a second entry in Orchestra separated with a semi-colon?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Choirs - do you create a separate tag or use Orchestra?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:35:49 pm »

It's not odd at all.  Just go ahead and make your own.  You might also want a Vocalist field for when one person is doing the singing.  They're not a choir, and you wouldn't want to confuse them with instrumental soloists, would you?

One can make up and endless variety of tags for classical music.  Have at it.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 07:46:29 pm »

Yes, that's my intention. Your answer prompted me to ask Google (that well known Classical Music Authority!):
how many people constitute a choir
to which the headline answer is:
From 60 to 80+ singers is a chorus. On Last choir Standing the number of singers in choirs ranged from 10 to 50. Three singers is a trio, four a quartet, and so on, eight is an octet, but 10 can be a choir or an ensemble. Yet there might only be seven singers in your local church 'choir'!

which seems to be a fairly good answer.

For vocalists I have been including "Soprano" etc as an Instrument, but may adopt your suggestion to create Vocalist.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:32:25 pm »

I use [Vocalists] for any non-choir vocalists (semicolon delimited) and put choirs themselves in [Ensemble] (also semicolon delimted); the latter field also gets chamber groups and really small orchestras, though I ususally try to put these latter groups in [Orchestra] if I catch them as I'm tagging with amg.pl.

If I had to start tagging over again, however, I'd probably create [Choir] or [Chorus], so I'd agree with Wer: go for it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up