INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDR video now has yellow cast after calibrating monitor  (Read 2269 times)

dariedel2

• Recent member
HDR video now has yellow cast after calibrating monitor
« on: June 18, 2020, 08:12:31 am »

Hello,

I had 4K HDR videos showing properly. Then I calibrated my monitor (LG HDR tv) with datacolor Spyder. After doing so, HDR files have strong yellowish cast. Regular non HDR videos appear as they should.
I didn’t change any settings other than calibrating the monitor.

I’ve since tinkered with the nvidia settings between use default and the various color space settings. They don’t seem to change anything.
In madvr, I have switched between “disable calibration controls for this display “
And this display is already calibrated and the various settings in there.
Nothing seems to fix this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDR video now has yellow cast after calibrating monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 09:12:16 am »

Try removing/changing the monitor calibration profiles in Windows 10 control panels.

Open Windows Settings, search for "display settings", scroll all the way down and click "Advanced Display Settings", then select your monitor (if there's more than 1) and click "Display adapter properties for Display". On the control that pops up, go to the "Color Management", click the button", and you finally arrive at the "Color Management" settings for that display (man, there must be a shorter path for this...)

On this panel there are lots of controls for the monitor color calibration. Play around a bit... I suggest removing the HDR calibration profiles, you can see the date where each profile was added. You can also chose to recalibrate it there, though the Windows wizard is not that good.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 09:26:02 am »

You using HDR passthrough? ... that’s the only way I think that can happen ... if so, did you calibrate your LG TV in HDR mode (HDR needs to be calibrated separately from non HDR mode)?

Still best ... use MadVR tone mapping and forget about TV tone mapping ... not sure which LG you use ... but my E6 adds slight yellow/greenish tint to very bright reddish scenes ... which MadVR does not.

PS. to test ... connect UHD player to your TV and try play some HDR disc ... if it still has yellow tint ... then it’s not your HTPC but your TV
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 10:37:50 am »

I was able to fix this by checking “play HDR Games and apps” in windows 10 settings. I did not need to do that prior to calibrating. I’m using madvr “tone map hdr Using pixel shaders” and checking the “output video in HDR format”

This seems to work, but when I watch tv (through MC), the colors are muted.

Bottom line: I need to check the play hdr games and apps in Windows if I am going to watch hdr movie, and uncheck it when watching TV.

Is there a setting I’m missing to do this automatically?

Thanks,
Doug

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 01:37:45 pm »

It’s better not use Windows HDR to watch video ... their tone mapping totally suck lol

Don’t check send HDR metadata to TV in MadVR ... it will cause TV to apply additional tone mapping on top of what MadVR has already done ...

If you use MadVR as tone mapping ... you don’t want TV to go to HDR mode ... double tone mapping = double compression of your image

That HDR logo that pops up on TV is just placebo ... TV does not go into some magical mode that will make image look better ... all it says is that TV is doing tone mapping (and likely cranking its brightness to fullest)

Arguably MadVR tone mapping is way better than TV ... if you prefer TV tone mapping, then don’t use MadVR tone mapping - just passthrough HDR to TV
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up