INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup Playlists from Id  (Read 1097 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Backup Playlists from Id
« on: June 18, 2020, 09:00:22 am »

I wonder, as I am not linux-educated, how would I backup my playlists from Id Classic to a separate location (PC, USB drive, etc.)?

Having lost an Id in a lightning strike before, and spending many hours creating playlists, they represent valuable elements to me. I know they're backed up on the Id itself, but I'd like to be able to get them off that device as part of my backup strategy.

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Backup Playlists from Id
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 02:14:40 pm »

Playlists will be stored in the library. You could save a library back-up to a USB drive. Otherwise you could export the playlists to a USB drive. Just make sure that USB drives are configured read/write on the Id. When trying to save to the USB drive, click on Filesystem and select the media folder. You should see the USB drive listed in there.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 11:34:49 am »

Hi, anyone have a tutorial on backing up Library files from an Id to an external source for safe-keeping? I'm not fluent in Linux, and I think I'd like to setup a procedure for doing this. Having the backups are certainly helpful, but having the backups on a separate device are more helpful, for an event where the Id drive fails.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 01:22:33 pm »

That would be similar to above, use MC's backup manager to store a library backup on your /export/media filesystem location and then pull it using samba/cifs from a Mac or PC.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 03:02:41 pm »

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the comment, but I was hoping for something slightly more wordy, including steps for people who don't know anything about "samba/cifs." I'm not familiar with MC's backup manager? I can see the paths in the Id's "Tools, Options, File Locations" screen.

Does anyone currently employ a process for storing a library backup from an Id Classic that's physically not on the Id Classic? That they could share?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 03:29:20 pm »

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the comment, but I was hoping for something slightly more wordy, including steps for people who don't know anything about "samba/cifs." I'm not familiar with MC's backup manager? I can see the paths in the Id's "Tools, Options, File Locations" screen.

Does anyone currently employ a process for storing a library backup from an Id Classic that's physically not on the Id Classic? That they could share?
First thing, on a clean boot, the Id stores a copy of the database on your /export partition.
You can get to that export partition by using the IP address of the Id which you can get from function 11 on the Id menu if you don't already know it.
On a windows machine you can bring up a file explorer window (bottom bar left) and typing in the following:
\\1.2.3.4\InternalStorage
One of the folders you will see is LibraryBackup.
The backup is in there, just drag and drop it to your desktop.
On a Mac it's pretty much the same except you do Go->Connect to Server then type in:
cifs://1.2.3.4/InternalStorage
Same procedure with the drag and drop.

For playlists, bring up MC on the Id either by directly connecting to it or by using VNC or Remote desktop then do
File->Export all playlists
When the file dialog comes up navigate to Computer->export->media
create a new folder (say ExportedPlaylists)
and hit open. They will be saved there and you can pull the from windows or Mac in the same way as above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up