INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Requested : Linux vs Windows MC functionality  (Read 1681 times)

landiepete

• Recent member
Help Requested : Linux vs Windows MC functionality
« on: June 24, 2020, 08:01:12 am »

Folks,

After many experiments I've decided on using MC26 as my digital music source. A small computer running Windows 10 and MC26 gets music from a NAS and feeds it via USB to the DAC in my AMP. I control it via the JRemote2 app on an iPad. It was working fine, but now I've hit a snag : the latest Win 10 updates have borked the DAC Wasapi-ASIO driver and it's now only partly functional.

Linux does not have this issue because there's no external driver.

Can anyone tell me if there is stuff that will not work in my situation vs. the Windows solution ? All things being equal I'd like to install Linux and be done.

Thanks, Pete

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Help Requested : Linux vs Windows MC functionality
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 12:20:00 pm »

IMO you will be fine using linux for audio as long as you are comfortable with mounting the NAS shares for access.

I was forced to go with linux for my zone using a Scarlett 6i6 in 4 channel mode so I am running an RPi 4 for it. Windows 10 was working fine for about 2 years, then when 1803 came along USB Audio 2.0 got borked.

For trial purposes depending on your pc power and skills, you can run a Virtual OS in Windows, or run a Linux live USB. I set up a couple in VirtualBox without issue, but it is on a Ryzen 5 machine.

For lighter OS I would recommend Lubuntu or Debian with RPi desktop:
https://lubuntu.net/downloads/
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

landiepete

• Recent member
Re: Help Requested : Linux vs Windows MC functionality
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 02:49:55 am »

I have since reinstalled Win 10 build 1803 and it has restored functionality. It gives me a bit more time to ponder the difficulties associated with Linux.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up