INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD SUPPORT  (Read 34189 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
IPOD SUPPORT
« on: March 03, 2003, 11:34:26 am »

Hello All,

For anyone who is new to MC, please be sure to get the latest version (currently 9.0.123).

If you want to read an excellent help file (thanks Adam) on using MC and iPod please go to....

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/  

For additional information, please check the previous help thread at...

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1042824714

For any issues not covered, please post below and someone will respond ASAP.

Thanks,

Steve (JRiver)

TimB

Re: IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 11:45:18 am »

My iPod totally imploded today.

So I restored the firmware (1.2.1), formatted it (full not quick) and formatted with MC9.

Files go over fine (with the ones that cut short still cutting short which makes sense as they cut short on my PC using Goldwave).

However my Playlists aren't going over.  I send them and the files send. The playlists show for iPod in MC9's left window and in the file by file detail on the right but don't show up on the iPod.

Media Center Registered 9.0.123 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2400 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 240 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: AOPEN    CD-RW CRW4048      Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 12:54:56 pm »

TimB,

Please verify in Plug-in  Manager that you have v 9.0.04. Also make sure you do not have "Select All Files" clicked when you are synching. If you still have no luck, do the format for MC and then manually create a playlist (right-click on playlist and select "Add Playlist") and see if it shows up.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 06:01:05 pm »

Steve:

Something's screwy with the bundled version of the plugin.  I'm seeing this a lot over at the 'lounge too.  Folks are upgrading to the latest version of MC9 from older versions (i.e. before the plugin was included) and they aren't getting the plugin installed.  Sometimes no Portable Devices plugin is included at all.

I don't have a lot of specifics, but I'm seeing it on XP systems and others systems.  I know that for a while MC9 was getting installed in a Media Center directory, now it seems to be in a JRiver directory.  Could this be part of the problem?  

As I said, I don't know, but it's really got to be solved because it's the first impression people are getting and as you know, those stick.

Also, on another note.  Don't know if others feel this way, but I'd like to recommend a change to the "Transfer All Files" functionality.  As you know, this currently doesn't transfer any playlists.  Well, this has caused some confusion on the part of many users.  Seem to me that since all the playlists could never be greater than the sum of all files, why not just include all playlists as well.  Or, make it an option through a msgbox.  Something like: "Should all Playlists be transferred as well?" as a Yes/No box.

Either way, I think something should be added to reduce some of the confusion.

Adam

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 06:23:43 pm »

Good point, Adam.  "Transfer All Files" could easily be changed, verbage-wise, at least, to "Transfer Entire Library."  I totally think that it would be clearer.

And, since it's the "entire library" then aye, adding the playlists in there also would be cool.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

jinx

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 06:38:13 pm »

When I sync my IPOD, none of unicode based artists, albums, or songs get synced.  I get an error message at the end "File Upload Error Transferring" and verbage afterwards that can not be deciphered (I assume its supposed to be in unicode but can't read it.)

Systme Info:

Media Center Registered 9.0.124 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 664 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 260 MB, Free - 91 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     CD-RW  CRX185E1    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

Thanks in advance,

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2003, 07:33:22 pm »

I just wanted to mention that I am having the same problem as jinx with the same specs, XP and 124 with latest plugin.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2003, 07:48:55 pm »

Hey Steve:

Been helping out a 'lounger with the "Write Stream Error" (or whatever the error is) and he thinks he's solved it.

He said that he had been right-clicking the iPod to sync before selecting the iPod with a left click.  If he does that he gets the error.  Now, if he does a left click of the iPod (so the songs display) and then a right-click to select sync, everything works OK.

I tried to duplicate it myself but couldn't because I couldn't get the iPod to display the right-click menu unless I first left-clicked it.

Don't know if this may be OS related or not.  He's running the .123 version (or maybe .124 but I know at least .123).

Food for thought I guess.

**EDIT***: OK, I just read a post from this user and I have to debunk this.  He doesn't think that it's the problem.  He's getting the error either way.  The only way to fix is through a restore.  I'm having him post here w/his system info and his problem.

Adam

TimB

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 04:35:49 am »

TimB,

Please verify in Plug-in  Manager that you have v 9.0.04. Also make sure you do not have "Select All Files" clicked when you are synching. If you still have no luck, do the format for MC and then manually create a playlist (right-click on playlist and select "Add Playlist") and see if it shows up.

Steve

9.0.04 verified.  When you say "Select all Files" you mean the "Transfer all Files" in the Synchronize area?  This is NOT selected.

Anyway I did the MC format.  Then I went to my Playlists list in MC9 and right clicked on a playlist and selected "Send To CD, DVD,  Handhelds  - H:".  When I transferred the files using "Upload" the files went over but no Playlists.  I've never worked with Playlists this way before is the Playlist supposed to go over as well?

I then went back and tried to use the Synchronize Files option with other Playlists selected.  It stops with the message "Cannot find plug-in "All-Time Greatest Hits" ".  "All-TIme Greatest Hits" is one of the albums that's already on the iPod.

I have noticed that on MC9, my iPod has no name next to H: even tho' it does have "IPOD" (minus quotes)  in Windows Explorer.  Could this be an issue and if so how do I fix?

-=Tim=-

Intel Pentium 4 2398 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 235 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive F: AOPEN    CD-RW CRW4048      Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2003, 07:22:54 am »

Everyone,

Thanks for the reports.

There was an error in which build of the Plug-in was included in MC. It is fixed and the new build this afternoon (9.0.125?).

Also,

"Transfer All Files" has been removed. Lets see how it goes. If anyone really misses it, I will doctor the language up.

I modified the way MC interacts with the Plug-in so no matter where you select "Synchronize" the path should now be correct. If you are correct about that being related to "Write Stream Error", then we should be set. That error is not generated by the Plug-in.

TimB,

If you right click on a Playlist and do Send-To, it should send the Playlist as well. It does for me. Also, if you drag and drop the Playlist on the iPod letter, it should send both the Playlist and the files.  When the new build of MC is available later today, get it and give it a try and see if your problems go away.

Steve

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2003, 07:24:32 am »

I wanted to report more about the problem I am having with MC9.  When I sync my ipod I often get "file upload error" and a listing of files that it couldn't upload.  If I try syncing again less of the files fail, where eventually it works.  Also just like the above poster the drive label doesn't appear next to the ipod drive in MC9, but it does in exporer, but I don't know if that means anything.  

pod plugin: 9.0.04

Media Center 9.0.124 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1  (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1528 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 228 MB, Free - 70 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-114 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-114
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-114 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: ATAPI    CD-R/RW 24X10      Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Use MJ Engine:Yes

TimB

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 08:05:28 am »

TimB,

If you right click on a Playlist and do Send-To, it should send the Playlist as well. It does for me. Also, if you drag and drop the Playlist on the iPod letter, it should send both the Playlist and the files.  When the new build of MC is available later today, get it and give it a try and see if your problems go away.

Steve
Steve, how far back should I go in the process?  All the way to restore firmware?  Format with XP?  Format with MC?

I'm easy, just let me know. :)

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2003, 08:20:50 am »

Tim,

Format with XP should do it.

Thanks.

PS. I will send you a reply on your cutoff file later.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smiling Increases Your Face Value
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2003, 08:57:38 am »

I may have narrowed down that elusive "stream read error".  After many successful syncs to my iPod last night without a hitch, I got that error again.  This time when I clicked on the iPod, rather than left-cliking, I just right-clicked on it WITHOUT highlighting first.  I got the error and muttered some colorful language in preparation for a full restore and reformat.  Could this "right-click" be part of the problem?  Who knows?  Don't remember exactly what introduced the error in the past, but it could have been this.

This may have been more of a coincidence than it was an identification of what is causing this error, but am posting just in case.  Perhaps one of the developers will see this post and try to reproduce.

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2003, 09:11:43 am »

Molarman,

If you are correct, tonight's build will solve this.

Cptnpanic and Jinx,

I forgot to mention that in testing Unicode tags here, I did not have any problems. Could you email a file that fails for you so I can test it here?

steve @ jriver.com

Kurt Young

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2003, 12:26:49 pm »

Steve-Sama,

New request from the lounge.  Check it out please, and tell us what you think.  

Pay special attention to my first post in it, of course, ;)  I want to know what you think about my little theory!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2003, 04:01:05 pm »

Updated to build 124.  Fooled around and created some smartlists.  Went to sync my iPod.   Was careful to select the iPod prior to right-clicking.  Got the dreaded "stream read error" again.  

$#@&%^$#%!!!!!!

I was hoping that 124 would resolve this.  It was supposed to was it not?  Or is that build 125?

When I get this error should I just reformat the iPod with MC9 or do I  need to restore first?

TimB

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2003, 04:07:39 pm »

Updated to build 124.  Fooled around and created some smartlists.  Went to sync my iPod.   Was careful to select the iPod prior to right-clicking.  Got the dreaded "stream read error" again.  

$#@&%^$#%!!!!!!

I was hoping that 124 would resolve this.  It was supposed to was it not?  Or is that build 125?

When I get this error should I just reformat the iPod with MC9 or do I  need to restore first?
There was no new build today and the next build, 125, should contain the updated plug-in. :)

-=Tim=-

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2003, 07:57:49 pm »

My problem is not because of using unicode files, but I get the same error.  Here is what I do: Format ipod, sync ipod with MC9(Transfers 3gb at around 7-8MB/S),after it finishes I get a information dialog that says "File upload error transferring" and lists like 10 files plus some garbage characters at the end, if I sync again I get the error again but with only 2 files, and if I sync it a final time there are no errors and everything seems fine on the ipod(except for the free space available reading, but that is another thing).

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2003, 05:02:44 am »

I resolved my 'File upload error' by shortening the album name (when very long) and renaming file from properties.

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2003, 05:10:34 am »

CptanPanic and Molarman

There was no new build yesterday(sorry) when it is available, please get 9.0.125 which hopefully will resolve this.

CptanPanic,

Can you email me one of the files that fails? Is it always the same files? If so, what happens when you send them by themselves (not as part of a multi-gig synch)?

Kurt,

Thanks for the link. First off, in regards to Normalization and file conversion, if you select these options from within the HandHeld file upload, these changes occur on a one time basis for users who do not want extra copies of the files laying around. For users who don't want the time drain of doing these conversions each time, the answer is to make copies of the files at lower bit rates that are stored on the PC and can be accessed for transfer.

In regards to the discussion on Replay Gain, the theory is great, the problem is that the firmware on the Windows iPod is not designed to handle the volume data so it is a dead end until they upgrade the firmware. Thanks for the idea, but I am sorry I don't see a way for it to work.

Steve

Kurt Young

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2003, 07:33:20 am »

<snip!>
In regards to the discussion on Replay Gain, the theory is great, the problem is that the firmware on the Windows iPod is not designed to handle the volume data so it is a dead end until they upgrade the firmware. Thanks for the idea, but I am sorry I don't see a way for it to work.
<snip!>

Rats.   Another diabled firmware feature.  That seriously makes me mad.  >:(
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

coxkevin

• Recent member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2003, 05:57:29 pm »

Kurt,

Thanks for the link. First off, in regards to Normalization and file conversion, if you select these options from within the HandHeld file upload, these changes occur on a one time basis for users who do not want extra copies of the files laying around. For users who don't want the time drain of doing these conversions each time, the answer is to make copies of the files at lower bit rates that are stored on the PC and can be accessed for transfer.

Steve

So to review the bidding, the wish list regarding transcoding is as follows:

Enable a transcoding interface that:

- Keeps track of changes to the original file and associated tags to prevent it from performing transcoding of each song with every sync unless there's a change.

- Deletes temporary files as they're transferred to the iPod instead of at the end of the overall transfer to avoid running out of disk space.

- Allows the user be able to normalize against the replay gain instead of/or as an alternative option to normalizing against the song peaks.

- Allows the user to choose to do a "force convert" which will convert everything to the specified format (if it's not already in the format/bitrate), or a "safety convert" which will convert only non-mp3/wav/aiff/aa files to the specified format.

After seeing the discussion concerning normalization and volume leveling, I couldn't help but re-raise the transcoding wish list.  

Steve, any idea when/if any of these desirements will appear?  Is there anything I can do to appease the MC Gods and get them to look favorably upon these prayers?

?

Cheers,
Kevin
"Always listen to the experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."  
-- Lazarus Long

Kurt Young

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2003, 07:58:25 pm »

Quick interjection, Steve:

The "Download to PC" function seems to be working great, but I'm left with "7255.mp3" on my PC.  Any chance of putting in some kind of default rename-from-properties function in there?  

I suggest "Artist - Name.mp3" but you could make it configurable beyond that, also, I suppose.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2003, 10:41:31 am »

Kurt,

I just added your request. The files will be named by "NAME". I don't think there is a need to get to fancy because once the files are back in MC you can use the option to rename files from tag info to tweak the files however you want. You could even do this without the NAME change, but I think you are right, this will at least allow users to differentiate the files within the download folder.

Kevin,

I will look at these next. Thanks for the reminder.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2003, 11:23:03 am »

Steve:

I know you said that the .125 build will fix the fact that the wrong plugin was being put into the .124 build.  But since the release of .125 seems to keep getting delayed, is there any way to get the correct iPod plugin into .124.

I'm not having any problems (using .124), but others that have upgraded from older versions or are just starting out w/.124 seem to be having problems.

Can you elaborate on what the issue is and maybe some solutions?  Or would it be possible to get .124 fixed?

TimB

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2003, 11:48:19 am »

Steve:

I know you said that the .125 build will fix the fact that the wrong plugin was being put into the .124 build.  But since the release of .125 seems to keep getting delayed, is there any way to get the correct iPod plugin into .124.

This would be great!  I didn't realize how much I miss my playlists. :)

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2003, 01:14:50 pm »

Tim and Adam,

Sorry for the delay in the new MC build.  Could you direct users to download the new 9.0.05 plugin from

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/mcplugins.pl?type=8

after they get MC and I think this will solve things for now. Again, sorry.

Steve

Kurt Young

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2003, 01:43:35 pm »

Rock on, Steve, thanks for the hookup on the download function.  I agree, keeping it as simple as possible is the best idea... if someone knows enough to want to change the filename, they can easily use MC itself to do it.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2003, 05:07:19 pm »

Sorry for the delay in the new MC build.  Could you direct users to download the new 9.0.05 plugin

Might this be a fix for the "stream read error"?

Is there any reason an iPod user should NOT download and use this newer plugin?

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2003, 07:41:47 pm »

I just wanted to say that I downloaded the latest .05 ipod plugin and am getting the same errors.  

TimB

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2003, 05:26:18 am »

Restored firmware
Formatted (with XP and MC9)
Moved playlists over using Synchronize.  Worked!
Moved another playlist over (actually just marked another one and left the other ones marked) using Synchronize.  Worked!
Right clicked on Beatles and right clicked to Send to H:.  Then clicked on H: and selected Upload button.  After the files appeared to transfer all the playlists are gone (Well there's that weird blank playlist with nothing under it), no Beatles songs on the iPod but other songs are still there.  When I view the iPod in MC9 the Playlists are there.

-=Tim=-

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2399 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 193 MB

TimB

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2003, 06:00:11 am »

Reformatted and Synchronized only.

No problems.

Hope this is helpful.

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2003, 06:03:48 am »

Molarman,

It might be. I cannot duplicate the "Stream Read Error". Some people have reported that it is related to the left tree selection of synchronize. If this is the case, the next MC build will remove this problem. If after the next build the problem still exists, please repost and I will continue to troubleshoot it.

CptanPanic,

If when you say "I am getting the same errors" you are referring to the failure of certain files to synch, please email me a file that fails so I can test it. (steve @ jriver.com)

TimB,

This is fixed in the next build.

Thanks.

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2003, 06:43:30 am »

Yes the errors are failure to upload files.  They are not a specific file, but random ones, and there are less that fail each time I retry.  It usually take 3-4 times to do a full sync after formatting.  Do you already know what that error is really complaining about, or can I look somewhere else for some more specific debug?

SteveG

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2003, 07:30:46 am »

CptanPanic,

The error you are seeing is notifying you that the file transfer failed. It is hard to say why it is failing if it is random.  When you resynch and more files succeed, are the remaining failures a subset of the first set of failures or different?

Steve

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2003, 09:00:39 am »

I think they are a subset of the previous errors since it doesn't have to retransfer the ones that succeed.  But the first time of the error there are more files that fail then fit on the dialog.  

SteveG

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2003, 10:40:31 am »

CptanPanic,

This gives me an idea. As you resynch, check for any common files. If there is any one file that seems common, please let me know.

Steve

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2003, 12:14:00 pm »

By common you mean a file that fails more than once?  I will see when I get home.

SteveG

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2003, 12:53:01 pm »

Cptan,

That is what I mean. Thanks.

Kevin,

Lets talk about these.....

- Keeps track of changes to the original file and associated tags to prevent it from performing transcoding of each song with every sync unless there's a change.  

Transcoding currently does not occur during synching. It is only an option when clicking on "Upload".  Only files that are a different file type or bitrate transcode. Also if Normalization is checked the file will transcode. This data is stored in the file, so if you want to only do it once, make copies of the files that you will use for sending to iPod that are the type and bitrate and normalization that you want.

- Deletes temporary files as they're transferred to the iPod instead of at the end of the overall transfer to avoid running out of disk space.  

I just added this. Every 20 files that are transcoded will pause and send to the iPod and then remove the temp files to save space. You will have to wait to see it until the next build of MC (sorry).

- Allows the user be able to normalize against the replay gain instead of/or as an alternative option to normalizing against the song peaks.

I will look at this next week.

- Allows the user to choose to do a "force convert" which will convert everything to the specified format (if it's not already in the format/bitrate), or a "safety convert" which will convert only non-mp3/wav/aiff/aa files to the specified format.

Currently, only files that are not the specified format or bitrate are converted (excluding normalization).  In order to only convert files that are player specific (i.e. the list you have for iPod) I will need to modify all the handheld plugins to register this information because all handhelds use the converter and the list of approved file types is different from player to player. It can be done, but I am a little hesitant that it is worth it.  Please weigh in on this and if you and others think it is important I will do it.

Thanks,

Steve

alexbrasil

• Recent member
  • I'm watching you
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2003, 04:48:39 pm »

About that crazy read stream error. (I've been out for carnival last week - picking up where I left it). I tried to do just the left click on the Ipod and I can't do it! If I left-click on the H: drive on MC it highlights the drive for a minute and then return the focus to the previous one selected. Very weird. I think it may well be the root of the problem and why I never can resynch, since I can't left-click on it. I will wait for .125 build anxiously :-)

mtschirret

• Recent member
  • "You know how it is...Well, maybe you don't."
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2003, 03:03:39 pm »

Hi-

My iPod works great when I first add files and playlists to it...I do not synchronize; I manually add the files.  My problem is that when I go back and add files at a later date, my previous playlists disappear, and so do the vast majority of my songs.

Everything looks as if it is there in MC9 when I click on the device, but it is definitely missing from the iPod.  Any ideas?  I have tried AShawley's instructions to the "T" with no luck on this...

Thanks,

Mike Tschirret

Media Center Registered 9.0.124 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Intel Pentium 4 2399 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 518 MB

Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive E: HP       DVD Writer 300n    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Drive F: TDK      CDRW321040B        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2003, 07:41:19 pm »

Ok I tried a full sync again, and it is not exactly the same files that are failing everytime, but I did see one that failed more than once I could send that to you.  I couldn't figure out why it was taking many more syncs than usual to not fail, and I realized that I put a limit on a couple of lists so it kept trying to transfer different files, and they would fail.  

An interesting thing to note though is when I only had like 4 files that failed I wrote down the free space on the ipod which was 449.754, I resynced and it succeeded and the available space was 449.727, so it obviously isn't having to transfer the file again, maybe it is just failing updating the ipod database?

SteveG

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2003, 07:56:39 am »

Mike,

I address your issue in the other thread.

Alex,

Lets check this out again after the next build.

Cptan,

If you could send me the file, that would help to solve your issue.

Steve

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2003, 07:30:39 am »

Steve:
I emailed you a mp3.
Bri

SteveG

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2003, 10:27:31 am »

Everyone,

FYI. The next build of MC and Plug-in will include a working eject feature. Also, please test out the transdcoding delete file feature mentioned above.

Steve

coxkevin

• Recent member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2003, 01:47:25 pm »

Yippee!!!  I'm heading off for Spain in early April and was hoping to be able to haul more songs on my iPod - now there's hope.  By the way Steve, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you more quickly, but I travel quite a bit and read the board whenever I get the chance.  It just happens that I was on the road when you posted your note to me...

Transcoding currently does not occur during synching. It is only an option when clicking on "Upload".  Only files that are a different file type or bitrate transcode. Also if Normalization is checked the file will transcode. This data is stored in the file, so if you want to only do it once, make copies of the files that you will use for sending to iPod that are the type and bitrate and normalization that you want.

Yup, know all about uploading vs. syncing and therein lies the desirement.  In a upload, I don't get any playlists, but I can squeeze a lot more songs onto my iPod, which in turn drives me to need playlists even more.  Or I can synchronize, a much more elegant solution, but then I have to settle for about half the number of songs I could carry on my iPod with lower, but still reasonable fidelity.

I currently have almost 100 gig of MP3s encoded at 320 bps, all of it done with Media Center.  I opted to go with the highest quality because I'm planning to tie my computer into my whole-house stereo system later this summer and want to come as close as possible to approximating the original song.  With over 10,000 songs, I regularly find little errors here and there (misspellings and such) and really don't want to take on managing two libraries (a main one for the house and a secondary one for my iPod), not to mention the additional disk space that it would require.  Since, MP3 stereo components are getting more popular and less expensive, I figure that the way I'm trying to set things up won't be unique.  

My hope was that since you already had the transcoding feature built and debugged, tying it into the sync feature wouldn't be too hard to do.  And since the transcoding process is so slow, a flag would prevent transcoding files that hadn't changed since the last sync.

If nothing else, hopefully, this will help you understand what's driving my request...

I just added this. Every 20 files that are transcoded will pause and send to the iPod and then remove the temp files to save space. You will have to wait to see it until the next build of MC (sorry).

I just got done testing this and it works great.  I even tried to break it by canceling in the middle of transcoding and everything was on the iPod through the last transfer.  Needless to say, I didn't have the guts to try and break it while it was actually doing the transfer.

The only suggestion that I have is to clean up after every five or ten songs that are transcoded.  Watching my system last night, decoding and recoding averaged just over 60 megs per song.  Multiply that by 20 and you have 1.2 gig of disk space that users have to keep available at all times.  Unless there's a performance or coding issue, doing the cleanup more frequently would be better from a user perspective.

I will look at this next week.

As an FYI, the reason I was asking for this is to try and compensate for Apple disabling the sound leveling feature in the winiPods and having to fiddle with the volume all the time.  I figured that if I'm going to be transcoding anyway, then it would be nice to have a feature that allows me to do sound leveling against the song's average volume (replay gain) or against the peaks (normalize).  

Currently, only files that are not the specified format or bitrate are converted (excluding normalization).  In order to only convert files that are player specific (i.e. the list you have for iPod) I will need to modify all the handheld plugins to register this information because all handhelds use the converter and the list of approved file types is different from player to player. It can be done, but I am a little hesitant that it is worth it.  Please weigh in on this and if you and others think it is important I will do it.

This was added at Kurt's request.  As I remember it, Kurt was concerned about the transcoding time and wanted to be able to avoid transcoding unless it was required to get the original file to play on the iPod.  The natural compromise was to make transcoding of "playable" files a selectable option.  Kurt what are  your thoughts?

By the way, what's up with the new MC icon?  Is that one of the ways you're distinguishing it from MJ?  

Thanks a million for your help Steve!

Cheers,
Kevin
"Always listen to the experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."  
-- Lazarus Long

SteveG

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2003, 04:58:01 am »

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  I will work on implementing the synchronize transcoding issue you mention. I will also bump the transfer of transcoded files down from 20 to 10. Let me know if that works well for you, it is easy to change.

The modifications to normalize against the replay gain are on the shelf for now. I will come back to it, but this is a major enough change that we have decided to hold off until after the MC 9 release.

Whats up with the icon?? something different. Do you like it?

PS Currently, you can drag and drop playlists onto the iPod icon and they will transfer and create the appropriate playlist on the iPod.

Thanks.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2003, 08:26:44 am »

Steve:

One of the key features that MC9 is missing that all of the other apps for iPods have is the autosync upon connection option.

The way this works (when enabled) is the minute the iPod is connected, the program starts in the background and begins syncing w/your last sync settings (playlists, update tags, delete etc).

The desired behavior would be for the sync progress dialog box to come up, but only that, MC9 should stay hidden.

Don't know if this is possible, but it's a major piece of functionality that's missing in the plugin when compared w/the rest of the marketplace and should be included.  It would be a seprate .exe that you include w/MC9 or the plugin.  Don't know how you want to handle it, but it's important.

Also, where the heck are the pretty ipod icons!  ;)

Adam

Kurt Young

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2003, 08:41:27 am »

Steve-sama,

Any further word on that "/ipodsync" command line switch for MJEXTMAN.EXE?

Now that the plugin is working more or less perfectly, and now that it's been refined and does a great job at what it does, I would really like to urge you to focus on making it pretty.  I'm not talking about fancy icons (although I LOVE the new MC icon), I'm talking about usability.

One huge advantage that iTunes and XPlay both have is the ability to start synching when the iPod is connected.

Right now, to sync your playlists, a user must:

1.  Plug in the iPod
2.  Load MC
3.  Expand the handhelds tree
4.  Click the iPod
5.  Right-click the iPod
6.  Click Synchronize
7.  Click OK
8.  Close MC when done.

I would like it very very very much if that process could be cut down to:

1.  Plug in iPod

Or, perhaps...

1.  Plug in iPod
2.  Click OK when the "Do you want to synchronize your iPod using your last-used settings?" prompt appears

Or, a third way-cool option could be...

1.  Plug in iPod
2.  Double-click the shortcut on my desktop that runs "MJEXTMAN.EXE /IPODSYNC"

Right now, the only things keeping me from iPod Nirvana are playcount/playdate updates (disabled by Apple, nothing you can do), and a transparent (or mostly-transparent) sync process.

Can you hook this up?  Please?  :)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up