INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD SUPPORT  (Read 34186 times)

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2003, 08:42:25 am »

Steve:

One of the key features that MC9 is missing that all of the other apps for iPods have is the autosync upon connection option.

The way this works (when enabled) is the minute the iPod is connected, the program starts in the background and begins syncing w/your last sync settings (playlists, update tags, delete etc).

The desired behavior would be for the sync progress dialog box to come up, but only that, MC9 should stay hidden.

Don't know if this is possible, but it's a major piece of functionality that's missing in the plugin when compared w/the rest of the marketplace and should be included.  It would be a seprate .exe that you include w/MC9 or the plugin.  Don't know how you want to handle it, but it's important.

Also, where the heck are the pretty ipod icons!  ;)

Adam

Woah, Adam!  Jinx!  ;D ;D

Great minds think alike, eh?
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2003, 09:16:34 am »

Adam and Kurt,

I will look to include this, but this would require modifying MC which is something we are not willing to do until after the target release date of March 21.  Assuming everything goes as planned, after this date I will work on this.

Kurt,

The same applies to the gui modifications. In thinking about this, I looked again at the mark up you sent and am trying to implement some of the functionality you suggested. With the current design of MC it is important for the Plug-in to maintain some uniformity with the MC interface so I am not free to draw whatever I want. I will keep looking to make it better.

Steve

Kurt Young

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2003, 09:56:49 am »

I totally understand uniformity, man.  No worries on the gui overhaul.

But I don't understand how putting in bits to sync when an iPod is connected would involve changing MC to the extreme that you can't do it until it's final.  I mean, there are lots of changes each build, some of them rather extreme themselves.  

The functions to remember the last-used settings are already in MC, and so is the function that kicks off and completes a sync.  Both functions work perfectly already.  All you need is a way to detect the iPod being plugged in and a way to use the plugin event to call the code that syncs the iPod.

Rather than changing MC, could Media Scheduler be brought into play for the "I just detected an iPod connected" bits?  I don't know much about it, but I know its function is to run in the system tray, send MC commands when certain events happen, and reclaim file associations.  

If Media Scheduler can be used to launch MC and start playing music when an event happens, it could logically be made to send MC the calls that run the "remember last used settings" and "sync playlists" functions of your plugin when an event (like an iPod being connected to the system) happens.

I guess it just seems, at least to someone on the outside such as myself, that "sync when connected" functionality can't be that far from where you are now, and it's frustrating to know that it can't be addressed.  Like Adam said, iTunes, MMJB, and XPlay all do it, and if Ephpod had more than one guy on the dev team (wattup, Joe!), it probably would too.  I'm kicking myself that I didn't give this issue as much vocalization when I first mentioned it (many moons ago, I'm sure), but I strongly believe that it would be lovingly embraced if it were implemented.

Not trying to be naggy... it's just how I feel about the subject.  Much respek,

Kurt
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

coxkevin

• Recent member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2003, 12:20:48 pm »

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  I will work on implementing the synchronize transcoding issue you mention. I will also bump the transfer of transcoded files down from 20 to 10. Let me know if that works well for you, it is easy to change.

The modifications to normalize against the replay gain are on the shelf for now. I will come back to it, but this is a major enough change that we have decided to hold off until after the MC 9 release.

Whats up with the icon?? something different. Do you like it?

PS Currently, you can drag and drop playlists onto the iPod icon and they will transfer and create the appropriate playlist on the iPod.

Thanks.

Steve

Thanks a million for working the transcoding capability Steve!!!  If you have any questions please don't hesitate to drop me a line -- I'll do my best to stay on top of the thead and be responsive.

As far as how often to delete temporary transcoding files goes, transferring and deleting after every 10 files (which translates to a little over 500 megs of disk space), seems reasonable to me.  I figure that anyone who's ripping MP3s, isn't running MC on an super old PC and should have that much space available.

Like Kurt, I LOVE the new icon and am looking forward to any of the other GUI enhancements you can manage to squeeze in before March 21st.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Kevin
"Always listen to the experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."  
-- Lazarus Long

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2003, 09:44:12 am »

I want MY auto-sync!!!!!!!  ;D

Adam

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2003, 11:21:14 am »

Hi,

I'm a happy MJ8 user with a new iPod (currently playing with it via MM).  

Will the ipod plugin be made available for MJ8?  I'm not currently interested in any of the MC9 enhancements (just want to manage and listen to my files), so I don't want to switch to MC9, which has more complexity and at the moment less stability.  I don't know the internals, but I would guess (since other portables are supported in MJ8) that it would (should) be easy.  Thanks.

js

SteveG

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2003, 11:32:00 am »

noborg,

The iPod will not be compatible with version 8. Too many of the features were not possible within the structure of 8 so it is for MC 9 only.

Adam and Kurt,

You guys are wearing me down  ;).  My hands are tied but I will keep lobbying to get this in ASAP.

nekura

• Recent member
  • dark-natured.
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2003, 11:46:32 am »

SteveG, I already posted a thread about this but since it most likely would require changes to the iPod plug-in I should probably post it here as well.

Will we ever see support for the "Position in Media-Set" ID3v2 tag?  It's fairly important to me to have this because I have a lot of four disc albums which take up unnecessary screen real estate on my iPod.  So far the only program that supports this is iTunes, so I hope we can see it in MC9 as well.

I could just use a custom field for this, but if I did, I doubt it would write to the iPod in the desired order.

Thanks for your time.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smiling Increases Your Face Value
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2003, 07:47:24 pm »

I just updated to build 129 and am trying to sync with my iPod.  Right-clicking on the iPod drive no longer seems to bring up an option fo synchronizing.  Am I missing something?

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2003, 05:22:49 am »

You need to left click on it to open it now, then right click once you've opened it.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2003, 10:41:34 am »

OK, I have now synched.  However, all of my playlists disappeared from my iPod.  Any ideas?

Should I re-format?  Would that resolve the issue?

SteveG

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2003, 03:35:20 pm »

nekura,

I will take a look at this tomorrow.

Molarman,

Can you verify that when you are synching you have some playlists checked and that you didn't inadvertently deselect all your Playlists?

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2003, 04:15:03 pm »

Molarman:  If what Steve suggested doesn't apply, go ahead and reformat.  What you're describing has happend to me on occasion when I've changed builds--after reformatting, it has solved the problem virtually every time.  

Steve:  by the way, autosynch would sure be nice....has anyone mentioned  this yet ;D?

nekura

• Recent member
  • dark-natured.
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2003, 04:21:13 pm »

nekura,

I will take a look at this tomorrow.

Thanks Steve, if you get this working, I'll build a statue to commemorate you.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2003, 05:30:25 pm »

Molarman,

Can you verify that when you are synching you have some playlists checked and that you didn't inadvertently deselect all your Playlists?

Actually, I was very careful about this at the time of synching.  All my playslists were indeed selected.

In any event, I restored, reformatted, and resynched.  All is well now.  Must have been a problem related to working with 2 different builds.

My primary hope is that this build gets rid of the "read stream error".

Thanks folks!!

SteveG

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2003, 06:25:52 am »

Molarman,

Please let me know if you are still getting the "Read Stream Error" If so, please email me your iTunesDB file from your iPod (steve @ jriver.com)

Nekura,

We might add this at a later time but not until after the release at the end of the week. Sorry.

nekura

• Recent member
  • dark-natured.
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2003, 07:48:05 am »

Steve,
 I don't mind waiting, I like to consider myself a fairly patient person.  Besides, this feature's so important that a little extra waiting isn't much of a bother.  Not to mention it would take me a bit to retag my albums and that I usually only synchronize my iPod with Media Center once every two weeks.

Anyway, just tell me where you want the statue to be built and you can consider it done.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2003, 10:05:53 am »

Please let me know if you are still getting the "Read Stream Error" If so, please email me your iTunesDB file from your iPod (steve @ jriver.com)

Thanks Steve.

I fooled around a bit last night with my iPod and MC9 following my restore etc. and have not had any problems with "read stream error".  I did not do any extensive testing by any means, but so far so good.

One thing though.  I see that the synchronize window has changed some.  Could you please post some brief, instuctions here regarding how the various options affect the synch?  Previous builds were not too intuitive in this area, and I am wanting to be sure I understand how it works now.

Thanks.....and a great product by the way.

SteveG

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2003, 12:04:21 pm »

Molarman,

The only change recently was the removal of the "Send All Files" check box which was causing unnecessary confusion. The remaining checkboxes do the following...

1) Delete files not in synch - Will remove any files from the iPod that are not in a checked playlist. If you uncheck this box and synch, the files in the playlists you are synching will be added to iPod.

2) Update tags - will update any tag information that has changed between files on your PC and files on the iPod.

I hope that helps.

Nekura,

Thanks for your patience, the staute should be built someplace warm and sunny so I can visit it often.

Kurt Young

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2003, 05:12:00 pm »

Nekura,

What exactly does "Position in media set" do?

Steve,

*wearing you down some more*

*wear*

*wear*

*wear*

*wear*

*wear*

How cool would it be to plug in and see MC pop a little box up with a countdown that says  "iPod connected!  Synchronization will begin in 10 seconds" -- and all it has is a Cancel button.  Woot!!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

nekura

• Recent member
  • dark-natured.
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2003, 05:55:07 am »

Kurt,

Position in Media-Set is used for multi-disc albums.  I'll use an example that I posted on iPodlounge...

My album listing (both iPod and MC9's, but I'm more concerned about my iPod's) is hogged up by a listing like the one that follows:

Final Fantasy VII OST [CD 1]
Final Fantasy VII OST [CD 2]
Final Fantasy VII OST [CD 3]
Final Fantasy VII OST [CD 4]
Final Fantasy VIII OST [CD 1]
Final Fantasy VIII OST [CD 2]
Final Fantasy VIII OST [CD 3]
Final Fantasy VIII OST [CD 4]

For the Position in Media-Set tag, there's two values.  it's basically "x of y," where x = current disc number and y = total disc numbers.  The reason for having this is so that if whatever program you uses recognizes the tag, it lists the tracks in proper order according to what disc they're in.  For instance, in MC9 right now, if I were to change the Final Fantasy VII OST [CD 1], [CD 2], [CD 3], [CD 4] to just Final Fantasy VII OST....  the tracks would be displayed in this order: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4,4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, etc.  If the program interprets the tag properly, the tracks would be written like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  Additionally, the program should write to the iPod in this order, that way no unnecessary screen real estate is used and I'll be able to listen to an entire four-disc album without having to create a playlist for it or play by Artist (which can be an inconvenience as sometimes there are extra discs with that artist name).

I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate this feature, I know I saw one guy on iPodlounge talking about it.  Funny thing is, I didn't even know about the Position in Media-Set tag until someone mentioned what it did and that it worked with iTunes on the iPodlounge forums.  Right then, I wanted the ability to use it as well, considering the large amount of four-disc albums I have.

Anyway, peace!

Kurt Young

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2003, 06:36:07 am »

Oh yeah!  That'd be nice!  Hear hear!

So would an /ipodsync command-line switch for mjextman.exe.  

;)

;)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2003, 05:08:47 pm »

Well, I'm kinda bummed.  I was running build 124 and had synched with that build.  The other day I updated to build 129, had altered some tags and wanted to get the new tag info into the iPod, so I re-synched.  I lost all of my playlists.  I thought that the problem might be related to having synched with 2 different builds of MC9.  So I restored, reformatted and re-synched and it went well.  I even re-synched a few times following that with no issues.

Today (still on build 129) I ripped 9 or 10 CD's and re-synched to get the newly ripped MP3's into my iPod.  The synch seemed to have gone just fine, but I lost all my playlists again - and none of the new MP3's were added to the iPod.  I tried snyching twice, confirming all my playslists were selected (including my "All my MP3's playlist" which should bring EVERYTHING over) but the problem remains.

I feel confident that restoring, reformatting and re-synching will resolve this issue, but I'm getting tired of going through this ordeal.  Prior to this new problem I was getting that "read stream error" repeatedly which required the same laborious fix.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Media Center Registered 9.0.129 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2411 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 246 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav

Burning /  Drive E: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R5002   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2003, 01:27:47 am »

I have been happily iPoding with MC for the last few weeks so haven't needed to post in this thread. Today I have found a couple of minor glitches with the latest plugin that you might like to look at.

I have just got a new PC at work with a soundcard and firewire ports so decided to bring my music library into the office using the iPod and MC. I encountered 2 problems when downloading files from my iPod to the PC. They were:

1. When an mp3 track name includes a character that would produce an invalid filename, it fails to download. At the end of the download process you get an error message saying "File upload error" or something similar. There is no indication which file or files failed to upload to the PC. Please could any files that include invalid character be transferred to the PC maintaining their numerical filename or could a dialog box be produced saying which tracks failed to transfer. For your information, I encountered problems with ? and / in track names.

2. When transferring from PC to iPod the progress bar doesn't work properly when there are more than 10 files being transferred. It always seems to reach 100% after 10 files then stays there.

Here is my MC information:

Media Center 9.0.130 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2018 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 490 MB, Free - 220 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: SAMSUNG  CDRW/DVD SM-348B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:32  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

SteveG

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2003, 10:59:43 am »

Phil,

Thanks, these are fixed in the new Plugin (9.0.07)

Kurt,

I hear you. I will try to sneak this in.

TIA,

I cannot duplicate this. Can anyone else? In the meantime, please get the next MC build, or at least the latest Plugin and try one more time. If you see the problem again, please email me your iTunesDB file (from iPod_Control\iTunes on your iPod) and let me take a look to see what I can see.

Thanks,

steve @ jriver.com

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2003, 01:53:52 pm »

Phil,

Thanks, these are fixed in the new Plugin (9.0.07)

Thanks Steve, the problem with invalid filenames is fixed with 9.0.07. Unfortunately the progress bar still behaves incorrectly when downloading more than 10 files to the PC.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2003, 01:59:24 pm »

Audible File Problem

Everything has been working fine for me ever since I started making my "Books" playlist ("*.aa" files) the first list (alphabetically) to transfer to the iPod when I sync.

Because of other issues, I had gotten into the habit of doing a "format" and full sync each time.

This weekend, using .129, I broke my routine, and tried to do a sync w/o formatting first (but with the 'delete' and 'update' options turned on).  The only changes to my media library since the last full sync was the addition of a couple of new Audible books.  Since I use random smartlists for the music I listen to at work (I have more than 20gb of mp3 in my library), MC9 also updated my music contents.

After the problems I had seen previously, I checked out things pretty thoughly on the iPod when the sync was complete (a very speedy process)... all of my playlists were there, and I was able to play both music as well as an Audible book I had been in the middle of the previous week.  Everything seemed good to go and I was a very happy MC9 user!  :o

Today, I made a very strange discovery...

It seems that the only Audible files I'm able to play are those I had listened to the previous week (IOW: they are the only 2 "*.aa" files on the iPod that had bookmarks when I re-sync'd).

Audible files that were on the iPod before I re-sync'd, but that were not previously listened to, will not play (clicking on play while they are selected does nothing).

New Audible files that were added to the iPod as part of the re-sync suffer from the same problem.

All music seems fine.

WEIRD!!!!

I hope this description is clear enough to help you solve the problem.

Obviously, I'll simply go back to formatting the iPod before I do a full sync (just takes longer that's all).

Thanks.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2003, 03:40:59 pm »

I have a question regarding the iPod plug-in.  I have been updating MC9 (now on build 131) on a somewhat regular basis, but I have not been keeping up with the status of updates for the iPod plug-in.

How does this work?  Should I be sure to have the most recent iPod plug-in or does this somehow update along with the new MC9 builds?  Currently I am running v. 9.0.06.

Kurt Young

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2003, 04:49:03 pm »

I have a question regarding the iPod plug-in.  I have been updating MC9 (now on build 131) on a somewhat regular basis, but I have not been keeping up with the status of updates for the iPod plug-in.

How does this work?  Should I be sure to have the most recent iPod plug-in or does this somehow update along with the new MC9 builds?  Currently I am running v. 9.0.06.

The newest iPod plugin is, if I understand correctly, included with the newest MC build.  No more separate downloads.  If you have .131, you have the most recent plugin.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2003, 05:01:53 am »

Molarman,

Kurt is right on the money.

Phil,

I cannot duplicate this here. For me the progress bar works great transferring 100 files. Can someone else test and let me know if they see the progress bar working incorrectly?

IDSmoker,

I will try to sort out the Audible thing.

Steve

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2003, 07:01:11 am »

More info on the Audible Issue

Steve,

I was wrong... A full format and sync did not solve the problem, I was still only able to play the 2 Audible files I had previously listened to, no others would play.

I tried formatting and transfering just the "Books" list, but had the same result.

I tried reinstalling .124, the version I had used the weekend before, but got the same results.

Finally, I ended up going back to my old method of using MC9 for transferring music and using Ephpod for transferring Audible files, just so I would have something to listen to today.

I'll spend more time trying to narrow the problem down this weekend (with the latest version).

BTW, one of the Audible files that wouldn't play, is the last one I emailed you when we were working on another problem.

Kurt Young

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2003, 08:13:51 am »

iPodders,

Just in case you haven't heard, there's a new firmware available from Apple:  1.2.6

Read more about it here or head to Apple's download page and download it.

Cheers!

mjextman.exe /ipodsync

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2003, 02:52:17 pm »

I am having a major problem with disappearing playlists!!  When I re-sync following ripping some new MP3's (and adding them to the libraby) my playlists just disappear from my iPod.  The new MP3's do not transfer to the iPod either.  This happens even though the re-synch is done with the same build of MC9 (131) as the original iPod format.

I wonder if this problem has something to do with my playlists.  I have a playlist that includes all my MP3's so that I can synch all my playlists and download all of my MP3's with a single sync.

Anyone have an idea?  Steve?  Help please.

BTW, I am now on build 132.  I will restore, reformat and re-sync with this new build this evening.

Media Center Registered 9.0.132 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Intel Pentium 4 2410 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 277 MB

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav

Burning /  Drive E: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R5002   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes

bellipod

• Recent member
  • iPod rocks!
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2003, 03:29:28 pm »

I'm having issues!  I am not even getting a chance to format my iPod!  I restored my iPod with the new Apple update and now I can't format it in MC.  I have the newest build, I am left-clicking and then right-clicking, but right at that point in time, Microsoft "finds an error" and shuts the program down!

Help!

TimB

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2003, 04:09:52 am »

A nod to SteveG (for iPod plugin) and a thanks to Kurt (for the pointer to 1.2.6).

Just "Restored" to 1.2.6 and used .132 to reload my iPod with Playlists (three different passes, OK I'm indecisive :)  ) and "Send To".

Went very smoothly!!

:)  :)  :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2003, 07:18:41 am »

I can transfer files to the ipod manually, but cannot appear to synch.  When I go to synch and select a few playlists and then confirm, the ipod will tell me "cannot create plugin ."
I've reformatted the ipod a few times to no avail.

My ipod plugin is showing up as version 9.0.06
I'm using build .132 of MC
iPod firmware is 1.2.1

Happen to anyone else?

TimB

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2003, 10:55:43 am »

I can transfer files to the ipod manually, but cannot appear to synch.  When I go to synch and select a few playlists and then confirm, the ipod will tell me "cannot create plugin ."
I've reformatted the ipod a few times to no avail.

My ipod plugin is showing up as version 9.0.06
I'm using build .132 of MC
iPod firmware is 1.2.1

Happen to anyone else?
Yup, but this was fixed for me on a build in the late .120's.  Have you tried "Restore" with 1.2.1 (or 1.2.6 now available) and then setting up?

That's what I did and I've had no trouble since.

-=Tim=-

Seviien

• World Citizen
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2003, 11:57:25 am »

I updated the ipod to 1.2.6 and restored it a couple times, but it hasnt seemed to work :-(

Guess I'll just wait for a new build of the plugin or MC...

Seviien

• World Citizen
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2003, 04:59:50 pm »

the new build of mc (.133) fixed the problem
kinda strange -- definately good -- but strange

TimB

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2003, 12:52:30 am »

the new build of mc (.133) fixed the problem
kinda strange -- definately good -- but strange

LOL I know this feeling.  Its like "good it works" but "I wish I knew why as who knows what could happen...".  But overall good news. :)

Congrats!

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2003, 05:29:28 am »

Molarman,

Cany you update me on how everything went after your restore, reformat, resynch?

Bellipod,

What happens after the left click? Does MC report the available space in the task bar correctly?

TimB and Seviien,

Just to remove some of the mystery regarding this, I changed how the right click is handled in the left tree which is how the problem went away.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2003, 09:36:48 am »

Molarman,

Cany you update me on how everything went after your restore, reformat, resynch?

Steve,

The restore, reformat and re-synch (RRR) went fine , but I had to synch twice.  If memeroy serves (I've slept since then) the first sync did not move over all (but did download some) of either my playlists or MP3s (don't remember which).  I thought I was gling to have to RRR again, but tried a second sycnh first.  To my surprise, the second synch downloaded everything lacking in the first synch.  Later, I changed some tags and synched again with no problem.  I am very careful when synching to assure that all my playlsits are selected, so I cannot explain this one.

From what I have been able to tell, my problem appears when I try to re-sync AFTER I have ripped some new MP3s (which I did not do since my last RRR).  I have been "here" before with previous builds.  The test comes with my next sync FOLLOWING some newly ripped MP3s.

SteveG

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2003, 08:52:20 am »

Molarman,

After you rip a new CD, can you try playing the songs from within MC to be sure that the entries are in the library correctly? The best guess I have is that the songs do not have valid paths within the library which would cause the synch to fail. You could also try copying the newly ripped songs to iPod without the synch to see if you come up with anything.

Steve

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2003, 03:11:28 pm »

Molarman,

After you rip a new CD, can you try playing the songs from within MC to be sure that the entries are in the library correctly? The best guess I have is that the songs do not have valid paths within the library which would cause the synch to fail. You could also try copying the newly ripped songs to iPod without the synch to see if you come up with anything.

Steve

I am having the same problems. I sync everything. Rip a few
new CDs. Try and sync, and they do not show up. If I reformat
and do a sync from scratch they show up then. I have had this
happen a few times. I am running

Media Center Registered 9.0.133 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

AMD Athlon 1536 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1015 MB, Free - 680 MB

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2003, 04:30:20 pm »

Similar problem.  I convert some ape files to mp3; they look they they're going to upload but don't appear on the iPod.  If I reformat and upload, they do appear.

js

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2003, 05:06:57 pm »

Molarman,

After you rip a new CD, can you try playing the songs from within MC to be sure that the entries are in the library correctly? The best guess I have is that the songs do not have valid paths within the library which would cause the synch to fail.

Steve

Steve,

I ripped about 5 new songs this evening.  I checked the filenames, their paths and played the songs from within MC - all appeared correct and went well.  I even updated the library in an attempt to assure its accuracy.  Then I synched.  However, I had the same problem again after the synch completed.  I lost all my playlists on the iPod and the new songs did not download.  I still had the rest of my songs - just no new ones and my playlists disappeared.

I have restored, reformatted and am in the process of re-synching as I write this.  I don't know why I am having this problem when it appears that most users are not.

I'm stumped!!

Any help appreciated!!!

****Edit.....RRR now completed.  Everything works perfectly once again.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2003, 06:05:50 pm »

Molarman:

I'm stumped too as to why this keeps happening to you.  Not that I have any basis for this, but maybe if you tried uninstalling Media Center and (if it's there) Media Jukebox.  Make sure to keep your library files when you do this (it's an option on the uninstall).

Perhaps you have some older version that's sitting around.  I don't know, but it's weird that it's happening when I never get this anymore....

Adam

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2003, 06:14:05 pm »

Molarman:

I'm stumped too as to why this keeps happening to you.  Not that I have any basis for this, but maybe if you tried uninstalling Media Center and (if it's there) Media Jukebox.  Make sure to keep your library files when you do this (it's an option on the uninstall).

Perhaps you have some older version that's sitting around.  I don't know, but it's weird that it's happening when I never get this anymore....

Adam

Thanks Adam.  I never had Jukebox, so it is not present on my HDD.  I certainly could uninstall MC and then re-install.  Would it not make sense however, to delete the library files at the same time and then just re-import my MP3s once MC is back up and running?

Steve??

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2003, 06:18:08 pm »

I am having the same problems. I sync everything. Rip a few
new CDs. Try and sync, and they do not show up. If I reformat
and do a sync from scratch they show up then. I have had this
happen a few times.

Jeff, Do you also lose all of the playlists on your iPod?

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2003, 09:12:55 pm »

Jeff, Do you also lose all of the playlists on your iPod?

Well, I do not have many playlist as I am mostly just using the smart lists at this point and have not paided much attention. Just tried again and it seems that all the play lists did get lost. While the sync was going on, I saw it copy the new songs over, but I do not see them on the ipod.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up