INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual behaviour while ripping discs  (Read 407 times)

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Unusual behaviour while ripping discs
« on: July 04, 2020, 09:13:02 am »

Over the last 2 days I've used MC to rip over 260 CD's whilst having it play tracks already in my library and encountered some odd behaviour.

Every now and then, but usually if I loaded a new CD to rip when MC was finishing the current track and loading in the next track, MC seemed to forget that it was supposed to Read the CD - the tree entry for the optical drive would change from "Compact Disc (E:)" to "Audio CD" and the only way I could get MC to read the disc was by "giving it a kick" - by making it read the disc. Incidentally since all of the discs I was ripping contain CDText the YADB Look-up was turned off to force MC to read the onboard CDText file. It also happened a couple of times whilst a track was playing but on one occasion after I gave MC a kicking the Status Line informed me it was "Saving Tag Changes".
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Unusual behaviour while ripping discs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 10:02:26 am »

There are two possibilities I can think of. 

1.  A Windows update.

2.  Antivirus

CD-Text is not commonly used.  It also won't provide cover art.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 10:18:00 am »

Jimh - Over 80% of my CD's have onboard CDText. That odd behaviour was happening before the last 2 MS Win10 Updates. Also if it was the Antivirus why would it stop MC from automatically reading the CD but didn't interfere with it reading the disc when I told it to?

P.S. - I mainly raised this thread to alert others to the strange behaviour I was encountering since having to give MC an "occasional kick" is something I can live with. The world ain't gonna stop turning if it all it turns out to be something that can't be recreated under different circumstances or with a different hardware/software setup.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 03:01:24 pm »

... It also happened a couple of times whilst a track was playing but on one occasion after I gave MC a kicking the Status Line informed me it was "Saving Tag Changes".

I had something vaguely similar occur...

I was updating tags in recently-ripped files.  I'm used to MC not wanting to update tags for a file currently being played.  This time, however, I got a "Tag updating almost done (just waiting for playback to stop)" status message (or words to that effect) at the bottom of the window when nothing was playing.  I double-checked both the player itself and all DLNA renderers; nothing was playing anyway.

I eventually just stopped the MC process and restarted things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up