INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering video  (Read 2044 times)

Conrad

• Recent member
Stuttering video
« on: July 11, 2020, 04:56:41 pm »

Hi,

I've been running JRiver for a while now, previously on an HTPC with a 1070Ti graphics card. I use MadVr as my renderer and I've had no issues, even with everything turned up to the max with my 1080 display. My source is a NAS that's connected with a wired connection.

I recently upgraded to a 2070 Super and since I've done that (might be coincidence, but it seems like they're connected) I've been getting the odd stutter in 4k video. Looking at the madvr stats while it happens it doesn't seem to align with the dropped/repeated frame count with the mismatched display timings (my display reports 23.977, not a perfect match) and the count of dropped frames, duplicated frames, and glitches doesn't increase when it happens. My render times are down in the <20ms range.

I did some debugging and it doesn't happen in MPC-BE with the same MadVR settings.
I've been able to pin it down to the Optimise Hardware For Decoding Performance setting in Video Options. Turning that option on removes the issue and turning it off re-introduces it consistently.

I understand that this option changes between DXVA Copyback and native methods, is that correct? If so, can anyone explain why a more powerful card might suffer and need changing from/to copyback/native?

I'm going to check again in MPC-BE and see if I can recreate the issue using one or other of those methods and see if I can resolve it by switching. I can also swap the GPUs back, but I'd rather not.

I'll also do some testing and see if I can see any difference between the option enabled/disabled. If I can't then I guess it doesn't matter, but I'm curious as to why this is happening.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Stuttering video
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 11:50:11 pm »

Try these different settings.

In Nvidia Control panel and under manage 3D settings:
Change the Vertical sync to "ON".
Change the Power management mode to "Adaptive".

In madVR
Set (in madVR, under rendering - Windowed mode) present frames in advance to 1. (you can try other numbers as well, some have had good results with presenting 3 frames in advanced)
You can also try to disable (in madVR, rendering - general settings) use Direct3D 11 for presentation.
Try experimenting with queue sizes as well, I have had good results when increasing the CPU queue size to 24 and GPU queue size to 16.

The first three solved the micro stutter for me using a 2080 graphics card.
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:00:03 am »

Thank you, I'll try those and report back.

How did you discover those settings, or was it just luck?

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 04:24:29 pm »

Thanks.

I already subscribe to a number of those threads, but I haven't read them all from the beginning.

It seems that it was the 3d setting, for me at least.
I have to use exclusive mode otherwise I can get AV sync issues, exclusive mode solves that for me. And if I choose to present any less than 8 frames in advance in exclusive I get horrible skipping. I just watched Jaws though and no skipping at all other than perhaps very infrequently which I attribute to the slight offset in framerates.

Thank you for your help, you've saved me hours of debugging and potentially downgrading!

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 11:32:53 pm »

Great!
I also have had good results when increasing the CPU queue size to 24 and GPU queue size to 16.

I just remembered another NVIDIA setting you can check:

Adjust your NVIDIA settings to use "Adaptive" power mode. By default it uses "Optimal" which can give bad performance.

(I add this to my original answer so everything is in one place if others are searching for a solution for "stutter")
Pages: [1]   Go Up