INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Restore Easy Library Back Up  (Read 1975 times)

LennyM

• Recent member
How to Restore Easy Library Back Up
« on: July 14, 2020, 04:52:36 pm »

It seems like forever that whenever I added new music to my library, I went to File, Library, Back Up Library and without any further intervention on my part it put a newly dated: "MC Library Backup (Main Library - XXXX-XX-XX)" file in my NAS Z:\, exactly where I want it.  I usually modify the library on one computer, but play the library from another, so having it on the NAS is perfect.

All of a sudden, for some reason that I cannot explain, it stopped doing that and treats my Back Up Library command as a "save as" offering me a spot in an empty folder (?) on my desk-top.  I now have to redirect it to the Z:\ folder.

So I went to Tools, Options, File Location, Library backups: and put in Z:\ .  That seems to have been a mistake and nothing changed.

Question 1:  How do I restore the very easy and automatic back up to my NAS Z:\ drive?
Question 2:  At Library back ups: in place of the Z: I have now restored the folder on the C:\ drive in which Library Backups are being stored.  Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to Restore Easy Library Back Up
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 08:13:49 pm »

MC uses the setting in Tools, Options, File Location, Library backups for automatic backups. Question 2: Yes, you should have that set to the C:\ drive somewhere.

However, for manual Library Backups and Restores, MC remembers where you backed up to or Restored from the last time you did either operation, and it is that location that is proposed to you when you next do either operation.

Question 1: Do a manual Library Backup now and select the Z:\ drive location. Then immediately do another manual Library Backup and MC will propose the Z:\ drive, just as it always used to.

MC always proposes a file name like "MC Library Backup (Main Library - XXXX-XX-XX).zip"

Note: If your Z:\ drive is not available for some reason when you try to do a Library Backup, MC may revert to the setting in Options. I haven't ever tested that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

LennyM

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:26:23 pm »

Thank you for your reply.  I waited to try this function a few times before writing again. 

Yes, It initially came up as a "save as" window and I redirected it to where I want it to go.  Now each time it continues to come up as a "save as" with the correct save address and I simply have to press "save."

But, it was for a very long while just "save" -ing as almost all windows programs do when you press save.  That is, after "Back Up Library" and without any further intervention on my part it saved in the right location, to wit, no "save as" window appeared.  I won't ask why it changed, but I will ask if the simple "save" can be restored.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 05:19:59 pm »

MC has always popped up the Save As dialogue for me when I initiated a Library Backup manually. Since MC18. I have never seen MC just use the default location and generated name, and save the backup without the confirmation dialogue.

I can't think of or find any setting in MC that would change that behaviour. I thought there may have been a message and option to always accept the default location and zip file name, and not show the Save As dialogue any more, but there isn't.

If you did in fact used to be able to just run the "File > Library > Back Up Library" function and have it just do it without the dialogue, that must have been something you allowed in Windows, and a recent update must have changed that Windows setting.

Maybe someone else can report that they don't, or didn't used to, see the Save As dialogue, and how they made that happen.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up