INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D via JRiver and Steam VR  (Read 540 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
3D via JRiver and Steam VR
« on: January 28, 2023, 10:02:33 am »

Thought I would share this:

I  have a very large 3D library, ripped movies into 3D MVC MKV containers.  With my older OLED sets, watching these via Media Center is easy as I can configure madVR to output SBS (full resolution per eye on a 4K set) and configure the set for SBS.

I recently started using the Valve Index for VR gaming, and there's a piece of software (a few actually) that can mirror the desktop and take a SBS display and make it 3D.  Movies look absolutely incredible this way, and the screen is gigantic.  One piece of software, Virtual Home Theater, may add full MVC support, but for now I can use media center to render the video in SBS, and Virtual  Home Theater to mirror the desktop to the VR head set and configure it for SBS, thus rendering the 3D.

For details, just ask if you are interested - like many things, the setup and configuration is not as easy as you would think.  The experience is nothing short of amazing, and is another way those of us who love 3D movies can still get our fill.  Of course, it's a solitary experience to be sure, and when the kids want to watch, we use one of the OLED 2016 sets from LG that still support 3D, and Media Center for playback of course.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables
Pages: [1]   Go Up