INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Static and skipping behavior in JRiver MC26 (after the same problem in MC25)  (Read 486 times)

fataxeman

• Recent member

Hi all,
I use a Hegel H160.  In my basement for about 3 weeks, I used the Hegel, a wired ethernet connection and a Linux computer with no problem.  The same amp, last used a couple of years ago before it's time in the basement, never had any problem running JRiver (24 and 25 I think) on a Windows computer 

I am still using an ethernet cable but it is connected to a POE device (power over ethernet) and it is really behaving badly.  Sometimes, I can start an "album" and it will start okay and if I let it play from one song to the next, it's fine.  If I start skipping tracks on the album or from one album to another, I'll start getting terrible "static" and the audio starts skipping big chunks of time; sometimes (quite often) it will be 2-3 minutes of the song that elapse while the skipping and static are occuring before it settles down and stops. It is completely maddening. 

I have used a total of 3 ethernet cables (currently using the one that worked fine in the basement with 0 of these episodes and while using the same Hegel amp), plugged the POE device into a wall outlet directly instead of being in a power strip.  I also installed MC26 that I had bought a good while ago and it was great for the first dozen or so songs and then the problem returned.  I have "rebooted" (meaning unplugged the amp). 

Thus far, with the Hegel back upstairs in the living room, ROON has worked fine with 0 problems, while playing many of the same songs.  But, I don't really like Roon; I don't like the price, the look and the navigation/way it operates, the random pictures for artists that aren't the cover of one of their albums and so on...."who in the world is this guy?" 

I tried comparing some settings (between MC25 and MC26) and everything I checked is identical.  I have tried running JRiver from a Macbook and my Windows desktop but it happens with both computers.  Sometimes JRiver will crash ("not responding") and sometimes it quits working but the app is still up when checked.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. 

Thank you

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Eliminate the POE device from your network for testing.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

fataxeman

• Recent member

Thanks for the reply.  I know that is the first logical thing to do and I forgot to say that I have no way to do that right now but I'll see what I can come up with.

And, currently, my trial version of Roon is working fine through the same signal path with absolutely no change except using it as the media player vs. JRiver. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up