Devices > Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones

Multi-Channel DAC's

(1/12) > >>

kr4:

--- Quote from: mojave on August 11, 2020, 04:18:39 pm ---There are lots of multi-channel DACs available.
--- End quote ---
I know of 4 currently on the market with the least expensive >$1000.  Or are you thinking of AVRs?

--- Quote ---You can also use one stereo USB DAC that supports 8 channels and output via SPDIF to 3 other DACS, although an 8 channel DAC is much better
--- End quote ---
Can your give an example of  a "stereo USB DAC that supports 8 channels?"  Seems an oxymoron to me.

Bottom line: I agree that the ability to map channels in order to feed multiple stereo DACs is a good suggestion.  In fact, MacOS permits the creation of a virtual multichannel device from multiple stereo DACs, with channel routing and run them from an external USB hub.  I have done this with stereo DACs that can be clock-linked and it works quite well.  Unfortunately, I cannot do this in Windows and I doubt that it can be done in Linux.

mojave:

--- Quote from: kr4 on August 11, 2020, 06:58:34 pm ---I know of 4 currently on the market with the least expensive >$1000.  Or are you thinking of AVRs?
--- End quote ---
Here are some multi-channel DAC's that can do at least 8 analog channels of output:
StarTech ICUSBAUDIO7D - $34
Creative Sound Blaster X3  - $119
ESI Gigaport HD+ - $170
ASUS Xonar U7 MKII  - $215
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 NX - $265
Tascam US-16x08 - $270
Essence Evolve II-4K - $299 (made the 2020 Stereophile Recommended Components List!  :))
Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 - $328
M-Audio M-Track Eight - $333
Tascam SERIES 208i - $400
ESI U108 - $470
Presonus Studio 1824C - $500
MOTU Ultralite AVB (I own one) - $649
Zoom TAC-8 - $650
Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre - $799
Steinberg UR824 - $800
Okto Research dac8 Pro - $1160
Motu 1248 - $1495 (I own one)
RME Fireface UFX II
RME Fireface UFX+
Exasound E38 MkII
Merging + Anabis
Focusrite Scarlet 18i20
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB
Focusrite Red 4Pre
Steinberg AXR4 - 8 channels of 32 bit/384 kHz
Steinberg UR816C
Lynx Studios Aurora (n)
Digital Audio Denmark AX32 (multi-channel DSD)
Antelope Audio Orion 32HD
Antelope Audio Discrete 8
Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core
Dangerous Music Convert 8
Mytek 8x192
Merging Hapi
Merging NADAC MC-8
Metric Halo 2882 3d
Metric Halo LIO-8 3d
Burl B16 Mothership
Ferrofish A32 Dante
Slate Digital VRS8
QSC Core 110F
Midas M32C/DL16
Panasonic UB820/UB9000 (UHD Player/HDMI DAC)
OPPO UDP-205 (UHD Player/HDMI DAC)

--- Quote ---Can your give an example of  a "stereo USB DAC that supports 8 channels?"  Seems an oxymoron to me.
--- End quote ---
The RME Digiface USB has stereo headphone output, but 8 channels of SPDIF. Connect whatever SPDIF DACS you want and they will all be in sync.
RME Digiface USB
miniDSP USBStream B - 8 channels with ADAT
miniDSP UDIO-8
MOTU 8D - 2 SPDIF and 2 AES for 8 digital channels
MOTU 112D
RME Fireface UCX

kr4:
Thanks for the list but, for domestic audio situations, most of those are not relevant.  For example, I have used the nifty Merging Anubis but its demands for multiple and different cable interfaces (on a channel-pair basis) and the need to address operations in their Aneman setup environment disqualify if for most home users.

In other words, it is not a problem for you and for others with more technical, hands-on skills but for the average home audiophile, the numbers from your list dwindle to 4-5.  (Thanks for the mention. ;))
Okto Research dac8 Pro - $1160
Essence Evolve II-4K - $299 (made the 2020 Stereophile Recommended Components List!  :))
Exasound E38 MkII
Merging NADAC MC-8
but the miniDSP UDIO-8 is not a DAC although its functionality is what we are discussing here.
Also, the discontinued miniDSP U-DAC8 is lamented.

So, I urge the inclusion of this feature for me and many others although you (and many others) may not care.

thorsten:
You can‘t use multiple stereo usb-dac on one Pc, that is a windows problem.
And the routing on a rme Fireface is so simple and straightforward, you‘ll have to try it!  ;)

kr4:

--- Quote from: thorsten on August 12, 2020, 11:05:41 am ---You can‘t use multiple stereo usb-dac on one Pc, that is a windows problem.
--- End quote ---
If that is so, it is unfortunate.

--- Quote ---And the routing on a rme Fireface is so simple and straightforward, you‘ll have to try it!  ;)
--- End quote ---
Thanks but I am not asking this for me as I own a number of suitable multichannel DACs.  I am asking this for the readers of my multichannel writings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version