INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SACD rips  (Read 2092 times)

strettonufo

• Recent member
SACD rips
« on: August 16, 2020, 02:13:11 pm »

MC has been on the back shelf for the last four years. What changed is I upgraded to R27 (although r26 installed, no big deal) and I ripped (legally) my SACD collection. Importing to MC produced disppointing results. In some cases they were interleaved withe the CD album, in other cases they were unknown and in some cases just plain wrong. Who's Next SACD is The Who by The Who, really? Discogs gets them right, why not MC?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: SACD rips
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 04:00:01 pm »

MC has been on the back shelf for the last four years. What changed is I upgraded to R27 (although r26 installed, no big deal) and I ripped (legally) my SACD collection. Importing to MC produced disppointing results. In some cases they were interleaved withe the CD album, in other cases they were unknown and in some cases just plain wrong. Who's Next SACD is The Who by The Who, really? Discogs gets them right, why not MC?
How did you rip them?  How did you apportion them among directories/folders?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

strettonufo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:46:33 pm »

I used a Sony s5100 bluray player and software/procedures obtained through the HiFiHaven forum. Worked great. The rips ended up in a single music file, looked just like a file produced by MC when ripping CDs. The metadata I imagine would have been obtained by the ripping software from the SACD? If I go to Discogs with just the UPC barcode, I see all the album metadata and artwork, no ambiguity, everything, just perfect. The CD and SACD versions of the same album have different barcodes.
An easy solution to correct those SACD rips with incorrect metadata and they are in a minority would be to go to Discogs with the barcode and pull in the metadata and artwork. Is there a way to do that, once for each album? Thanks,

Steve

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 01:21:05 am »

ripping sacd process does not get metadata. it just dumps a stream from SACD player with security hole to large .iso file.

As MC has no access to your barcodes ... likely it guesses the metadata from file name of the rip and folder structure where that file is located.

my rips are organised

/artist/album/artist - album.iso

MC has no problem finding metadata for this structure
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 09:27:54 am »

I used a Sony s5100 bluray player and software/procedures obtained through the HiFiHaven forum. Worked great. The rips ended up in a single music file, looked just like a file produced by MC when ripping CDs. The metadata I imagine would have been obtained by the ripping software from the SACD? If I go to Discogs with just the UPC barcode, I see all the album metadata and artwork, no ambiguity, everything, just perfect. The CD and SACD versions of the same album have different barcodes.
An easy solution to correct those SACD rips with incorrect metadata and they are in a minority would be to go to Discogs with the barcode and pull in the metadata and artwork. Is there a way to do that, once for each album? Thanks,

Steve
I do not know exactly what the HiFiHaven forum process is but I use Mp3tag to pull the metadata before adding the file folder to MC.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 01:12:40 pm »

... and I add with Mp3Tag additional a new genre "HighRes" and "HighRes Surround" to find them again.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 01:28:05 pm »

SACD rips produce one large iso file ... I don’t thing you can tag those (meaning tags cannot be written inside iso file)

You can split SACD iso to individual tracks in DSF or DFF ... only DSF allows tags to be stored inside file
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

strettonufo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 01:37:26 pm »

the file extension of my SACD rips is .dsf, not .iso. The rip software produces a file for each album organised artist/album/track, just as suggested. it is exactly the same structure as the music file entries produced by MC when ripping CDs. Just different track file extensions.

The ripping software displays status updates as it progress, which include artist, album and track names and other metadata.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 02:25:39 pm »

I have never used it, but as I understand it, the HiFiHaven ripping process is just a packaged  version of the Computer Audiophile process that uses the Sonore ISO2DSD program to split the ISO into multiple tracks. It produces metadata from the original SACD.

It seems like there are a couple of problems here. 

As to MC looking up the "correct" metadata, that can be hard to do if the basic metadata like [Album] and [Album Artist] that MC uses to identify an album are the same for the CD and the SACD rip.  Discogs uses barcodes since those are unique. Using just a few metadata values unfortunately cannot guarantee a unique identification of a SACD versus a CD. Sometimes there may be enough metadata to make the unique identification and sometimes not.  Given the nature of the MC metadata database, it will not always identify the correct album.

The problem with your dsf files being mixed with the CD files is that if the metadata from your process produces metadata that is the same as for the CD for the fields that MC uses to organize albums , it will mix the tracks.  If your files have the same [Album] and [AlbumArtist (auto)] as the CD tracks, then MC may see them as the same album and mix them together.  In that case, you need to either rename something, like adding SACD to the album name.  That will separate the albums. You can also define you view scheme to separate different file types, but that is trickier to do.

As you found, mixing SACD and CD albums is tricky given they way MC identifies album. Unfortunately, it is often a somewhat manual process.

strettonufo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 03:55:10 pm »

Thanks, this is what I thought. Using artist/album to identify a title to obtain the metadata is going to lead to ambiguities. Take the Kinks Low Budget for example, there are 8 CD titles and 19 if you include SACD and HDCD. Which is why Discogs uses barcode. Now barcode is on the case but is it also on the disc, does anybody know? There is a field for UPC in the Tags. Does MC do anything with this? 

BTW, the HiFi Haven executable is called SACDExtractGUI.jar and it's really nice to use.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 04:12:33 pm »

I see a Catalog # field, but not one for Barcode. As I understand it, the MC database (YADB) is based primarily on user supplied data. So, unless users put in the bar code, they will not be in the database. And, I doubt that many people put in barcode data. 

I do not rip SACDs, but I have a lot of digitized vinyl. I use Discogs for the metadata for that, with catalog # as the way to separate different versions.  My vinyl software, Vinyl Studio, does the Discogs lookup for me.

strettonufo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 04:42:45 pm »

there is a field called UPC

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »

OK. I doubt it is used much.

strettonufo

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 01:24:46 pm »

too bad. UPC aka barcode could then be used to lookup the metadata in Discogs, Similar to what your vinyl softwrae does.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 09:15:08 am »

I do not know exactly what the HiFiHaven forum process is but I use Mp3tag to pull the metadata before adding the file folder to MC.

Yep, that's what I am doing as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up