INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aspect Ratio question  (Read 1836 times)

bhampster

• World Citizen
Aspect Ratio question
« on: August 27, 2020, 07:14:44 am »

Hi,

I think I started using JRiver with version 22.

If JRiver supports 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio and optionally UHD BD playback then I am ready to go back to using it for video as well. I used to use it for EVERYTHING naturally. I use a projector without lens memory and desire a way to have UHD BD or video files (MKV) displayed automagically within the 2.40:1 or even the new 2.33:1 ultra wide specification.

Otherwise,... I have no features to request. As a music server it’s my choice forever

bhampster

• World Citizen
Re: Aspect Ratio question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 08:33:49 am »

Hi,

I’m sorry if this is a silly question.

I posted in a feature request thread about wanting the ability to define my video output as 2.40:1 and have everything automagically output in that shape for me as I use a projector without lens memory.

I was actually asking about it with regards to my windows PC which I haven’t used as anything but a plex server in recent years. My thoughts were of putting this back in service as my main JRiver server for both Audio and Video if this feature was possible.

Thinking about it, I considered maybe this is more up to the video drivers rather than JRiver.

In the world outside of HTPC the type of aspect ratio control I am inquiring about is currently done by the Oppo 203 discontinued player.

Can JRiver output everything in the 2.40:1 aspect Ratio ?

I still have an old HTPC that I Recently installed the current version of JRiver on but I haven’t really used JRiver for anything but music only from a headless Mac mini in recent years.

Thank you,

Brian

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 08:49:10 am »

My interest was more about the AR control.

I built a windows HTPC expressly for JRiver and keep a master license that I can use to install JRiver on both my PC and Mac machines.

I haven’t used JRiver for video in years so was asking if AR control to output everything within a 2.40:1 shape was possible.

I suppose I should investigate this myself to bypass confusion.

I used to use MakeMKV which I also purchased to view everything AV from JRiver. It’s only on the Mac mini because I eventually lost interest in using JRiver for video.

The ability to do this would restore my interest in using JRiver on my PC.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:31:30 am »

you want to output everything in 2.40:1 to your projector? or just for some video based on their presentation (ie content is 16:9, you want it output as 16:9)?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:33:39 am »

Thank you,

Looking to output everything in OAR in the 2.40:1 section of my native 16:9 projector so I can setup the projector in that AR. What that means for 16:9 content is it would be scaled to fit within that 2.40:1 section window boxed on all sides. That means ultimately it stays in it’s OAR.

Yep,... that can be confusing.

This would downsample anything that wasn’t natively 2.40:1.

I have been zooming out to 2.40:1 for movies in that shape. Maybe a video processor is a better place to look for this feature or just a projector with lens memory.

I noticed some monitors are ultra wide now but haven’t looked to far into how source devices support them.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 10:22:43 am »

Do you use madvr? It has profiles that can react to the AR of the content so it might be able to do what you want.

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 10:45:24 am »

Thank you again.

I will look into it. I used to use MadVR and also used it to create 3D LUT for much more detailed calibrations of my projectors.

I have also emailed HDFury to see if any of their processors do this type of thing. I’ve read they do not.

I’ll keep looking into it as I haven’t used an HTPC for video in a long time and most likely this is something that has been sorted out already.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 11:06:48 am »

Look at the zoom control section in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188 and then do the setup there under a profile rule like ar<2.3

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 04:05:38 pm »

Looking to output everything in OAR in the 2.40:1 section of my native 16:9 projector so I can setup the projector in that AR. What that means for 16:9 content is it would be scaled to fit within that 2.40:1 section window boxed on all sides. That means ultimately it stays in it’s OAR.
If you are outputting everything, then you just change your screen resolution. With Nvidia you use Desktop Resizing with a 1920x1080 resolution, in Intel it is Customize Aspect Ratio, and with AMD I think it is HDMI Scaling.

You also need to go to Tools > Options > Video > Advanced > Aspect Ratio Mode and set it to Crop.

I use MadVR and don't have to make any changes there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up