INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard lag editing tags and fields in panes view  (Read 2061 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Keyboard lag editing tags and fields in panes view
« on: August 28, 2020, 01:05:06 pm »

When editing fields in Panes view there is a really annoying keyboard lag and randomly dropping typed characters. Holding backspace is incredibly slow and continues for at least as long as I held the key after releasing it.

Is this a known issue, possibly with a fix? I'd love to get rid of this its very annoying.

Otherwise, any tips or things I can try to fix it?

It only happens in MC, no other programs suffer from it. The machine is pretty fast (actually a server with a Xeon) with 64 GB RAM. Keyboard is wired, simple mechanical keyboard no bells an whistles.

Thanks as always.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Keyboard lag editing tags and fields in panes view
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 01:36:02 pm »

I can confirm that I see the same input lag with both typing and the mouse on all JRiver for Linux machines, but never on Windows. 

I type slowly enough that the keyboard lag mostly doesn't bother me, but sometimes it really lags and is a huge pain.  It doesn't seem to be linked to the type-ahead look up because I see it in every text field even those that have no lookup options.  Another place it's kind of tough is with the mouse scroll-wheel.  If I scroll rapidly and than try and fine tune the scroll (like trying to get halfway down a long view), the scrolling gets decoupled from the input pretty fast and then continues for a very long time after I release the scroll wheel.  I can reproduce that one any time just by scrolling hard and then scrolling back and forth for 4 or 5 seconds. 

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 02:10:26 am »

I can confirm that I see the same input lag with both typing and the mouse on all JRiver for Linux machines, but never on Windows. 

I type slowly enough that the keyboard lag mostly doesn't bother me, but sometimes it really lags and is a huge pain.  It doesn't seem to be linked to the type-ahead look up because I see it in every text field even those that have no lookup options.  Another place it's kind of tough is with the mouse scroll-wheel.  If I scroll rapidly and than try and fine tune the scroll (like trying to get halfway down a long view), the scrolling gets decoupled from the input pretty fast and then continues for a very long time after I release the scroll wheel.  I can reproduce that one any time just by scrolling hard and then scrolling back and forth for 4 or 5 seconds.

For me its actually the reverse :D, I can hardly scroll fast enough with the mouse wheel to trigger that effect. I need to scroll at my fastest.

But typing when tagging in a panes view, I tend to make simple changes on a large batch of tracks (multiple albums) and set the 'source' field to CD or SACD, things which can be typed fast with one hand on the left side of the keyboard. It's not that I type too fast to be accurate on the keyboard (like hitting a new key before the previous one is released).

I feel like its not actually to do with fast typing. Sometimes I type slow, aware of that input lag, and still it misses a letter. It's like its polling for keyboard input and simply misses a character if it isn't pressed within a pol window. Typing faster simply exposes the issue more often.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 12:36:42 pm »

Is this behavior something new for you guys?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 01:31:09 pm »

Not for me. I'm pretty sure I've brought it up before.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »

Is this behavior something new for you guys?

No it's been ongoing for me, maybe since I started using MC for Linux; at least for a few years.  I think I reported the mouse issue once a long time ago? 

The lag effect is persistent for me across different hardware, operating systems, and keyboards, and mice, but the amount of input lag I see seems to differ between systems.  For example, I have a hard time reproducing the mouse scrolling issue with a trackpad, but it's trivial for me with any mouse wheel.  The keyboard lag is easier for me to reproduce with a keyboard that permits multiple simultaneous keypresses (n-key rollover), but I can repro it on any keyboard by just mashing keys in the comment tag field and then trying to use the backspace key.

Sangie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 09:15:17 pm »

I'm having this same ridiculous lag when typing in the pane area for the tagging. It's so bad it's nearly unusable.
Code: [Select]
=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 2.061 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.198 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 0.840 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 0.845 seconds

Score: 3197

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 1.499 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.417 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.601 seconds