INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Option: Find Song(s) Date  (Read 1273 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
New Option: Find Song(s) Date
« on: May 05, 2020, 02:59:25 am »

It would be really easy to have an option to fix Song dates

Google search: "what was the release date of 'Undercover Angel'  'Alan O'Day'"

Google answer:

Undercover Angel/Released 1977

then just save the date.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: New Option: Find Song(s) Date
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:27:50 am »

Great idea!

Next build:
NEW: Added the library tool "Lookup Date From Google".
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 01:37:52 pm »

I realized this was probably better suited for this thread than in the beta thread:

NEW: Added the library tool "Lookup Date From Google".

This is a pretty awesome feature. But I was playing around a little bit and seem to be getting inconsistent results. And I'm also curious if it can be improved upon.

Is it doing a search on just Artist and Name fields? If so, can it instead use the Album title if present and fall back to Name if not? This is better in a couple of ways:
Google seems to return just a year when I manually do a search for Artist and Name, but it oftentimes returns a full Month, Day, Year date when I search on the album name.
It leads to more consistent dates within an album when, for instance, a track is released late in one year but the album is released early the following year.

For example, I searched my library for a track with no date at all and I inexplicably found that I had David Lee Roth - California Girls in my library. No idea how it got there, but there it was. I had MC do the date search and it came back with 1985. I then manually did a google search for "David Lee Roth California Girls release date" and I see that Google returns 1985. So far so good, but I prefer a full date with month and day if I can find it. So I then did a manual search for "David Lee Roth Crazy from the Heat release date" (the album that the California Girls track was on) and Google came back with January 28, 1985. Much better.

I then moved on to something more recent. I manually did a search for "Tool Pneuma release date" and Google returned 2019. But when I search for "Tool Fear Inoculum release date" I get August 30, 2019. Again, the full date is available if I search for album where it's not with just song title.

I then had it do a search for the entire Fear Inoculum album and got a rather surprising result. Every song had its date field populated with the 2019 year with the exception of the title track (Fear Inoculum), which was left blank. I wondered if it was because it was the title track so I tried it on another album, Ride the Lightning by Metallica. Once again all tracks had a year populated with the exception of the track actually titled Ride The Lightning.

But then I noticed something else. A couple of tracks, Fight Fire With Fire and Creeping Death, now have the year of 1983 whereas the rest show 1984. A little sleuthing work showed these songs were first released as a demo on October 29, 1983, so I'm assuming that's where Google is getting its answer, but it wasn't officially released until July 27, 1984 along with the rest of the album. Also, just like with Fear Inoculum, the title track Ride the Lightning has no year returned at all, even though my manual Google search of "Metallica Ride the Lightning release date" returns the full July 27, 1984 date, since it's matching on the album title.

So tl;dr version:

Searching just on song title can lead to mixed dates in albums
Title tracks don't return any date at all
Can the search use the album name if present instead of the song title?
Can it populate the full month, day, year fields if Google returns them?

Thanks, guys! And thank you KingSparta for suggesting this feature in the first place!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 11:05:29 am »

right now I am in the middle of re-ripping my 1000+ CD's to FLAC and the Lyrics and Data works good but both of them could be improved with a bit of string manipulation.

I think some of the problems are when the title and artist name has extra info in the fields.

Search 1 For:

Artist: Ludacris Featuring Nicki Minaj
Name: My Song Name Feat. Fat Joe

No Match Found

Search 2 For:

Artist: Ludacris
Name: My Song Name

Match Made

"Featuring" And "Feat". is one of the main problems that will trip MC up. I have searched all the no matches in MC and out of 100 files I was able to match about 90 more files when simply removing the word "Featuring" and "Feat." and the featured artist name. I think this would also help date find in MC.

if there were some text boxes you could configure your own Search parms to get more matches. Where the program would search for the original Name, And Artist name, if no match, then include filtering of words.

this is one way I was able to make matches in my original Lyrics Finder Plugin.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up